The Director of Marketing reports directly to the Vice President of Marketing and Communications. This position works very closely with the Director of Ticket Services and Analytics, and supervises the Marketing and Advertising Manager, the Digital Marketing Manager, two Graphic Designers, and a Marketing and Communications Assistant.
The Director of Marketing is responsible for the creation, development and implementation of subscription and single ticket campaigns to meet ticket revenue goals in two markets and venues, including the Baltimore metropolitan area at the Meyerhoff Symphony Hall, as well as Montgomery County, a suburb of Washington, D.C., at the Music Center at Strathmore. The Director develops goals and sales strategies to generate ticket revenue in all product lines, including the BSO’s classical and Pops subscription series, family concerts, orchestra specials, holiday programming, the Pulse series, and summer concerts. An essential goal is to generate, grow and diversify existing and new audiences, through unique and committed partnerships with arts and community organizations in both markets. Improving customer service and enhancing the patron experience is extremely important as well as sustaining patron loyalty. The Director will also evaluate sales trends and implement strategies to increase earned revenue.
• Meet or exceed earned annual revenue goals by maximizing subscription and single-ticket sales.
• Oversee the creation of all direct mail and promotion materials for all sales and marketing campaigns.
• Routinely track, analyze and evaluate subscription, single ticket and group sales trends in both markets and communicate appropriate adjustments to marketing efforts to achieve the BSO’s attendance and revenue goals.
• Work closely with the Director of Ticket Services and Analytics to develop pricing strategies and forecast revenues consistent with achieving maximum capacity utilization and budget goals.
• Establish collaborative partnerships with other arts and community organizations to generate an increase in earned revenue.
• Ensure that earned revenue is maximized through the BSO website, and oversee development of content which draws more website visitors.
• Oversee the telemarketing campaign to achieve annual subscription concert revenue goals, including the development of packages that meet the preferences and buying patterns of various consumers.
• Take advantage of opportunities for the BSO to have a marketing and sales presence at festivals in both Baltimore and Montgomery County including Artscape and Bookfest.
• Provide guidance and expertise for ongoing ticketing and sales policies and working closely with the Development department to enhance strategically coordinated donor and patron service.
• Create and implement strong subscription and single ticket direct mail and advertising campaigns that maximize attendance and revenue.
• Oversee all revenue and expense budgeting and planning functions for the Marketing department. Ensure the most efficient use of resources, continually assessing the effectiveness of sales and marketing expenditures.
• Participate in an active capacity at BSO functions.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, or a related field. M.B.A. desired.
• 5-7+ years marketing experience in comparable industries with up to 3 years in a rising leadership position. Experience in a non-profit sales environment a possible advantage.
• Exceptional track record of developing, implementing and analyzing marketing and sales strategies that have consistently met or exceeded planned objectives
• Keen grasp of how technology can drive earned revenue, with experience in choosing, setting up, and using marketing and sales software applications.
• Personal leadership through example coupled with ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and staff to create a results-driven, team-oriented environment.
• Strong planning and analytic skills in sales, marketing, and competitive business strategy.
• Experience in the use of research and analysis to drive strategy.
• Interest in, and preferably, knowledge of classical music.
• Demonstrated superior written and verbal communication skills.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience. A benefits package that includes:
• Health insurance
• Dental, Life, Short-Term and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid entirely by the BSO
• Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
• 403(b) Plan
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Health Savings Account
• Employee Assistance Program
More information about the BSO can be found at our website by following this link: www.bsomusic.org.
HOW TO APPLY
• Please submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to MarketingJobs@BSOmusic.org.
• Deadline to apply is Friday, February 21, 2020.
• No phone calls, please.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences of relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
To apply for this job email your details to MarketingJobs@BSOmusic.org
About Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
For over a century, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) has been recognized as one of America’s leading orchestras and one of Maryland’s most significant cultural institutions. Under the direction of Music Director Marin Alsop, the orchestra is internationally renowned and locally admired for its innovation, performances, recordings and educational outreach initiatives including OrchKids.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performs annually for more than 350,000 people throughout the State of Maryland. Since 1982, the BSO has performed at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, and since 2005, with the opening of The Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, MD, the BSO became the nation’s first orchestra performing its full season of classical and pops concerts in two metropolitan areas. More information about the BSO can be found at BSOmusic.org.