The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) seeks a dynamic and experienced Gift Officer who will manage the implementation of fundraising strategies to increase contributed revenues from individuals including events and special stewardship and recognition plans for donors at Strathmore. The Gift Officer will play a key role in supporting the BSO’s long-range goals to increase individual giving at Strathmore. The Director will work closely with the VP at Strathmore as well as the VP for Development, the Development team, BSO program staff, board members, and donors to devise and execute new strategies to enhance philanthropic support. This position is based at the Music Center at Strathmore in Bethesda, MD.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Act as initial contact and BSO liaison for donor inquiries and follow up to ensure donor satisfaction.
• Design and manage personal cultivation, stewardship and solicitation plans for an annual portfolio of 100 to 150 individuals, with an emphasis on growing the Governing Member and Major Gift programs; new donor acquisition; and, existing donor retention and engagement.
• Working closely with the Vice President at Strathmore, Vice President of Development, and marketing teams, design and implement creative, long-term strategies for achieving fundraising goals, expanding the donor base, and developing new donors.
• Attend member events as a representative of the BSO staff, including but not limited to open rehearsals, on-stage rehearsals, the Donor Appreciation Concert, Cast Parties, After Hours, Allegretto Dinners, and Governing Members Sponsored Concerts both during and after office hours. Also provide Governing Members Lounge support as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
• A minimum of four (4) years increasingly responsible development experience. At least two (2) years of direct donor stewardship experience.
• Ability to participate successfully in a fast-paced, team-orientated, constantly changing environment.
• Demonstrate superior organizational skills, attention to detail, the ability to meet deadlines.
• Proficient in Microsoft programs, including but not limited to Excel, Publisher, Word, & Outlook.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with individuals.
• Flexibility to adjust schedule as needed for support at events, which frequently occur on evenings and weekends.
• Ability to attend weekly development staff meetings in Baltimore.
• Previous experience with fundraising data bases, especially Tessitura.
• Experience overseeing staff and/or volunteers.
• Excellent critical thinking, strategic planning and problem-solving skills.
• A background and/or interest in the arts.
• Knowledge of Montgomery County.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
• Salary negotiable, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• The BSO offers a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits to all full-time employees including:
o Health insurance – two options to choose from (HMO or PPO High Deductible); all at low cost to the employee Dental, Life, and Long-Term Disability Insurance, paid 100% by the BSO
o Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
o A 403(b) plan
o Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Accounts, including Medical and Dependent Care
o Employee Assistance Program
o Free and / or discounted tickets to BSO concerts
HOW TO APPLY
Submit a cover letter, resume, and two (2) writing samples to Theresa Cameron, Vice President of Strathmore at devojobs@BSOmusic.org
Please put the title of the job position in the subject line of your email. No calls or fax please.
To apply for this job email your details to devojobs@BSOmusic.org
About Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
For over a century, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) has been recognized as one of America’s leading orchestras and one of Maryland’s most significant cultural institutions. Under the direction of Music Director Marin Alsop, the orchestra is internationally renowned and locally admired for its innovation, performances, recordings and educational outreach initiatives including OrchKids.
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra performs annually for more than 350,000 people throughout the State of Maryland. Since 1982, the BSO has performed at the Joseph Meyerhoff Symphony Hall in Baltimore, and since 2005, with the opening of The Music Center at Strathmore in North Bethesda, MD, the BSO became the nation’s first orchestra performing its full season of classical and pops concerts in two metropolitan areas. More information about the BSO can be found at BSOmusic.org.