Website Capital Philharmonic of New Jersey
Professional Orchestra Serving the Capital Region
Position Title: General Manager
Reports to: President, Board of Trustees
Location: No centralized office — local presence required
FLSA Status: Part-time, salaried position
About The Capital Philharmonic https://www.capitalphilharmonic.org/
The Capital Philharmonic of New Jersey (CPNJ) was founded in November 2013 and presented its first concert on New Year’s Eve. Now, eight years later, CPNJ is the anchor performing arts organization in residence at Patriots Theater in the historic Trenton War Memorial (1,800-seat venue) and produces a full season of symphonic programming.
As the Capital Philharmonic prepares for its 10th anniversary season, the organization is building staff capacity through the creation a new General Manager position. The addition of professional management will strengthen operations and position the Capital Philharmonic to leverage its 10-year milestone.
About the General Management position
The Capital Philharmonic of New Jersey (CPNJ) seeks an experienced arts administration professional for the newly-created, part-time, salaried position of General Manager. The General Manager must demonstrate excellent management and interpersonal skills and have a proven track record in successfully carrying out general management responsibilities at a performing arts organization.
The General Manager is responsible for managing all non-artistic aspects of a professional orchestra including:
● Event and marketing management
● Financial management
● Operational and administrative management
The General Manager will establish a solid working relationship with the Board of Trustees, Music Director, venue staff both at the Trenton War Memorial, and at other locations where CPNJ may perform in pursuit of its mission.
The General Manager will report directly to the President of the Board and work collaboratively with the other Officers, the Executive Committee, and the Music Director.
Ideal candidates will have:
● A minimum of 5 years’ experience in performing arts management
● Strong organizational, financial, analytical, computer, and research skills
● An ability to understand, without direction, the work that needs to be accomplished, managing multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
● Disciplined work practices enabling them to successfully meet expectations and requirements
● An off-site remote office space from which to conduct their work
EVENT and MARKETING MANAGEMENT
● Facilitate, manage, and attend all aspects of concert production, including CPNJ annual series at the Trenton War Memorial as well as other performances that may be scheduled
● Manage the scheduling/booking of all concerts at the War Memorial and other off-site locations
● Work with a marketing consultant to develop a strategic plan for marketing and publicity for CPNJ
● In cooperation with the Executive Committee and Music Director, coordinate implementation of a marketing plan for all productions
● Establish amicable relationship with orchestra members
● Review all tech riders and advise feasibility and financial commitment
● Monitor ticket sales and manage distribution of comp tickets
● Execute contracts in all areas relating to production and bookings
● Provide administrative liaison for managers of technical and design realization on all productions, booked presentations, educational programs, and rentals
● Coordinate schedules and personnel requirements for performances
● Create and oversee all production budgets in consultation with the Board President and Budget Committee chair.
● Work in conjunction with the Executive Committee to coordinate logistics of annual fundraising events or annual appeals
● Create and update a management guide/calendar describing tasks and dates for managing concerts and other orchestra activities
All financial functions are pursued in collaboration with the Board President and Board Treasurer
● Oversee management of organizational and concert budgets to ensure prudent spending and allocation
● Maintain financial management systems
● Prepare accurate and timely financial reports in accordance with the Board needs, as specified by the Treasurer, including post-concert financial reports, monthly statements showing budget-to-actual income and expenses, and Year to Date balance sheets
● Provide departmental and overall cash flow management, projections, and regular monitoring in collaboration with Board President and Board Treasurer
● Manage payment of orchestra payroll, accounts payable, taxes and fees on a regular basis, and as needed
● Manage tickets sales and box office (set-up and reconciliation)
● Manage insurance coverage
● Manage, in cooperation with Executive Committee, all compliance regulations and reporting
● Manage all cash, credit accounts, and bank accounts
● Secure safe storage of all core documents, e.g. Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, tax exemption documents, insurance policies
Prepare year-end reports to satisfy government, management, and Board needs
OPERATIONAL & ADMINISTRATIVE MANAGEMENT
● Serve as liaison with the City of Trenton
● Supervise management and operations of front of house, box office, and volunteers
● Manage operations and vendors for refreshments or post-concert receptions, as needed
● Ensure that all necessary permitting is obtained and up to date, including liquor license
● Troubleshoot issues
● Attend all Board meetings and other meetings, as requested.
CPNJ is a growing organization. Board and staff are often called upon to jump in to accomplish goals and meet important deadlines. The job requires some evening, weekend, and holiday work.
This is a part-time (29 hours per week) salaried position with a gross annual salary of $37,500. Benefits include 4 weeks paid vacation plus federal holidays PTO (when not in conflict with a scheduled concert).
Interested candidates may submit their cover letter, resume and three references by email to the: CPNJ Recruitment Committee, email: CPNJRecruitment@gmail.com.
The Capital Philharmonic strongly encourages applications from a diverse group of individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability, national origin, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship or authorized alien status, or veteran status.
Applications are being accepted beginning November 12, 2021 and the search remains open through December 31, 2021, or until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to CPNJRecruitment@gmail.com