Job Title: Marketing/Photography Assistant
Supervisor: Executive Director
Status: Part-time seasonal apprenticeship (full-time during Festival)
July 11 – August 9, 2019
(some remote prep work may be required in weeks leading up to Festival)
Posting Date: January 17, 2019
The Marketing/Photography Assistant is a key member of the Festival Mozaic team. The primary responsibilities are coordinating the Festival’s marketing, social media and photographic efforts during the summer, serving as a photographer at most Festival events, as well as providing some administrative support to the Executive Director, especially related to fundraising projects. This position will also require interaction with the Music Director, General Manager, House Manager, Technical Director and stagehands, Recording Engineer, Festival photo/videographers, volunteers, musicians, venue staff and other apprentices. The ideal candidate will have digital photography experience, some knowledge of or interest in classical music and an interest in non-profit marketing, event planning and/or arts administration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
PRIOR TO FESTIVAL:
• Distribute Festival postcards, posters and brochures to local businesses.
• Create a calendar of photography needs during Festival. Coordinate photography event assignments with Festival photographer.
• Create a calendar for Facebook/social media posts during Festival.
• Plan and create email marketing blasts to occur during the Festival.
• Create sponsorship signage and banners for events.
• Draft program inserts, surveys, and other program materials.
• Attend pre-Festival production meeting(s) and review master technical calendar.
• Attend pre-Festival volunteer orientation meeting(s) and assist in training volunteers on selling fundraiser items, operating iPads, etc.
• Visit Festival venues with General Manager and other apprentices.
• Serve as Festival photographer, snapping candid shots of audience and performers at all events.
• Create, update and operate pre-concert/intermission PowerPoint slides.
• Coordinate, transport and setup Festivities for the Festival, raffle, and auction fundraising items for most events.
• Coordinate Festival Mozaic sponsorship and event signage/banners at all events.
• Assist with transportation of supplies between venues. Occasionally transport musicians to/from events.
• Assist House Manager/Volunteer Coordinator with lobby and musician hospitality setup. Staff FOH tables as necessary to sell raffle tickets, merchandise, fundraiser events, etc.
• Assist with special event setup and tear down.
• Create content for Festival Mozaic’s social media outlets during Festival. Create a Facebook post/photo gallery at least once per day and post event photos to Facebook daily.
• Post event photos to FestivalMozaic.com daily.
• Assist Festival Video Apprentice and hired videographers with video recording setup/operation at select events.
• Run Festival-related errands.
• Assist with Festival event setup and break down as needed, and perform other Festival-related duties as assigned by the Executive Director and/or General Manager.
• Assist with creation and distribution of post-Festival press releases.
• Create and send post-Festival audience survey.
• Assist with reorganizing and restocking equipment and supplies.
• Create thank you notes for donors, in-kind and media sponsors, wineries, etc.
• Catalog all Festival photos.
As a small organization, all employees of Festival Mozaic are expected to perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Talents, & Abilities
• Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
• Experience with digital photography required.
• Formal music education preferred.
• Experience with Google Drive and Dropbox preferred.
• Team player with a positive attitude and ability to problem solve.
• Excellent people skills and strong customer-service ethos.
• Respect for a diversity of cultures.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required (mileage reimbursed at IRS rate).
• Cell phone with text message and email capabilities required.
Confidentiality: All matters pertaining to operations, donors, patrons, volunteers, musicians and other Festival personnel must remain confidential.
Organization: Good time-management skills, attention to detail, and positive attitude. Ability to work independently and with a team and meet deadlines.
Coordination: Understand the relationship of all operational positions to each other, and their impact on the culture and meeting operational goals. Adjust actions on relation to others’ actions, i.e., collaboration and team work.
Mission: All employees are responsible for promoting the mission of the organization. All employees follow branding and communications standards established for the organization.
• $1,200 Honorarium
• Housing in a private home for duration of apprenticeship (if required).
• Mileage will be reimbursed when driving personal vehicle according to IRS guidelines.
• Free admission to all Festival Mozaic events.
• Some meals and snacks provided.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to lift up to 35 pounds, climb stairs, ability to see well in semi-darkness. Must be able to work long hours during Festival – evenings and weekends are required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Solitary and team-work settings; noise level ranges from quiet to loud; some outdoor events in varying temperatures.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume online at: www.festivalmozaic.com/apply.
Application deadline: March 15, 2019.
Mozart Festival Association dba Festival Mozaic is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national origin, disability, sex, marital status, age, gender identity or any other protected status covered by federal or state law. www.FestivalMozaic.com
About Festival Mozaic
Festival Mozaic is a fast-paced, fun and vital community nonprofit organization that presents performances by internationally renowned classical musicians and crossover artists in venues throughout San Luis Obispo County, California. The 2019 Festival dates are July 24 – August 4 and will feature chamber, orchestra and unclassical concerts, Notable Encounters, farm-to-table culinary events, free “Midday Mini-Concerts,” master classes, open rehearsals, and more.