Title: Budget Manager
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Status: Full-time, Exempt
The Budget Manager reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for the development and oversight of a multi-year financial plan reflecting the strategic priorities of the Houston Symphony. The Budget Manager designs and develops guidelines to optimize budgeting and related planning processes. The Budget Manager continually optimizes the budget process through better use of tools and technology. The Budget Manager serves as a resource to others by providing comprehensive information during the planning process, while monitoring the results of budget-related operating activities.
Essential Job Functions:
• Manage the preparation and ongoing monitoring of all aspects of the Houston Symphony’s financial plan, including net margin analysis, annual operating budget, cash forecast, and multi-year plans.
• Establish and drive forward the timeline for the budgeting processes. Liaise with all departments to ensure the timely and accurate entry of budget information. Consolidate budget information, analyze progressive budget versions, and provide reports.
• In collaboration with the Director of Finance and the Sr. Director of IT and Data Analytics, review, and monitor actual results to budget. Develop variance reports which include substantive financial analysis for all areas of symphony operations.
• Serve as the organization’s knowledge center for all fixed and variable costs, as well as earned and contributed revenues.
• Prepare materials and analysis; and participate as needed in Board Finance Committee and Budget Subcommittee meetings.
• Support the Finance Department’s month end close and other activities as needed.
• Attend concerts and events as needed.
• Other duties as required.
• BS/BA in finance, accounting, business or related field
• 3+ years’ experience in cost accounting, budget management and/or financial analysis; non-profit or performing arts industry preferred.
• PC and Excel proficiency is essential.
• Collaborative interpersonal and communication skills
• Outstanding attention to detail and analytical skills
• High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
About Houston Symphony
Mission of the Houston Symphony:
The mission of the Houston Symphony is to inspire and engage a large and diverse audience in Greater Houston and beyond through exceptional orchestral and non-orchestral performances, educational programs and community activities.
The Houston Symphony is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other protected class.