POSITION: Director of Education, Lookingglass Theatre Company
DEPARTMENT: Department of Curiosity
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
Lookingglass Theatre Company (LTC)’s Director of Education is a senior level position responsible for the creative and administrative leadership of education programs for young people. These Education programs are housed within LTC’s Department of Curiosity, alongside LTC’s Community Engagement programs which are separately led by LTC’s Director of Community Engagement.
Curiosity is a driving impulse behind Lookingglass’ work on stage and in our community. Guided by the Company’s mission to make theatre “exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all,” Lookingglass’ Curiosity Department cultivates creativity, expands access, and transforms classrooms and communities across the city we call home.
The Director of Education position is responsible for planning and implementing all school-aged theatre education programs for LTC, including school-based residencies, tuition-based classes, summer camps, student matinees, internships, and Young Ensemble, a year-long performance-based program for grades 4-12. Qualified applicants will have strong leadership skills and a commitment to theater education, ideally with prior experience running a program.
• Provide strategic leadership, vision, design, and direction for the continued development and operation of LTC education programs.
• Manage all administrative aspects of daily operations, including calendar, budget (income/expense), contracts, facilities coordination, payroll approval, and marketing.
• Develop curricula in partnership with internal and external stakeholders.
• Design, administer, and analyze assessment measures examining the efficacy and impact of programming.
• Hire and supervise full and part-time education staff, teachers, and teaching artists.
• Collaborate and support LTC Development team in raising funds in support of LTC and Educational programming.
• Build connections between the Department of Curiosity and the larger company, and work closely with other members of the senior staff to achieve the overall goals of LTC.
• Represent LTC in the community and participate in regional education initiatives.
• Ensure that the Education environment is safe, humane, respectful, inclusive, and appropriate.
• Genuine passion for and knowledge of the importance of arts education for youth.
• Theatre savvy with an artistic appreciation and understanding of LTC’s mission and aesthetic.
• Demonstration of cultural competency and comfort working with youth from a wide range of life experiences and backgrounds.
• Ability to articulate the vision, goals, and impact of the Education programming with donors, trustees, and community leaders.
• Proven leadership experience in nonprofit management or theatre education. Strong strategic and analytical skills, with the ability to interpret information quickly and accurately and to implement directives.
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships with key community partners.
• Experience with leading a team, budgeting, fundraising, marketing, and community engagement.
• Strong organizational skills and 360 degree collaboration, including the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion.
• Ability to maintain an active driver’s license, good driving history, and access to a vehicle for required travel to schools. Ability to provide proof of insurance.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends, as necessary.
• Ability to pass a background check in compliance with local and/or federal employment laws.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume, and three references without delay. LTC will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
Email submissions only. Send only PDF files, no web links to email@example.com with the subject “Director of Education.” Only complete submissions will be considered.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org