Position: House Manager (2 positions available)
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Seasonal, Part-time, Non-Exempt
Employment Period: June 5 – August 10, 2019
House Managers are responsible for overseeing all Front of House operations before, during, and after each event where patrons and audience members are present. House Managers work closely with Ticket Office staff, stage and production staff, and others to ensure a successful, polished show flow. These positions report to the Audience Services & Community Access Manager.
• Coordinate and oversee all Front of House operations before and during events where there are patrons present
• Supervise ushers and other support staff and coordinate with Ticket Office, Back-of-House, and other management to ensure a seamless run of show
• Ensure program book sheets, program books, inserts, and/or sponsor recognition assets are available at each event
• Prepare for and act as primary contact in case of emergency
• Set the standard for customer service and serve as the primary ambassador for the Music Academy
• Receive, resolve, and follow-through on any questions or customer service issues
• Handle all lost-and-found
The ideal candidate has exceptional people skills and attention to detail, is comfortable and effective leading a team of volunteer ushers, can handle high volumes of people while maintaining outstanding customer service, and is familiar with a performing arts environment. The successful candidate will be accurate, focused, thorough, and perceptive.
The Music Academy of the West seeks to hire candidates who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success
• Bachelor’s degree (or degree in progress)
• Passion for producing varied events at the highest possible level
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, supervisory, and communications skills
• Experience in sales, retail, and/or customer-facing roles preferred
• Ability to work on a team and adapt to changing work priorities
• Knowledge of classical music a plus
• CPR/AED certification
Nights and weekends will be required.
House Managers report to the Audience Services & Community Access Manager.
Compensation and Benefits
• Hourly wage of $12 – $15/hour, commensurate to experience.
• Seasonal positions are ineligible for Music Academy benefits except where required by law.
• House Managers may receive complimentary tickets to various Music Academy events during the Summer Festival.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume by March 1, 2019, to firstname.lastname@example.org, using a Subject Header of MAW House Manager. No phone calls, please. The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy of the West is among the nation’s preeminent summer schools and festivals for gifted young classically-trained musicians. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides these musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and performance under the guidance of internationally-renowned faculty artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Admission to the Academy is strictly merit based, and fellows receive full scholarships (tuition, room, and board). The Music Academy of the West cultivates discerning, appreciative, and adventurous audiences, presenting more than 200 public events annually. For more information, visit musicacademy.org