Title: Artist Liaison (Up To 2 Positions Available)
Department: Artistic Operations
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt, Seasonal
Employment Period: June 7 through August 10, 2021*
* Dates subject to state and county restrictions related to COVID-19
The Artist Liaison(s) work directly with Music Academy guest artists, conductors, and faculty artists during the Summer School and Festival. The positions report to the Senior Director of Festival and Production and also work closely with Music Academy Administration and fellows.
· Communicate with guest artist management, including creation and coordination of artist schedules/itineraries
· Work with Housing and Rental coordinator to arrange/confirm housing accommodations and rental cars for guest artists
· Arrange all transportation for guest artists, including driving of a Music Academy vehicle
· Prepare printed schedules and welcome packets to be given to artists upon their arrival
· Serve as primary artist contact during residencies, including being on call nights and weekends as needed
· Plan, confirm, and facilitate artist dinners or donor events as needed
· Coordinate meeting/rehearsal times between conductors and soloists
· Work with the Production Managers to arrange any practice time/facilities as needed
· Assist in fulfilling artist riders as provided by artist management
· Assist the Artistic Operations department in other duties as assigned
The Music Academy of the West seeks to hire candidates who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success.
Note that the Music Academy looks to fill up to two Artist Liaison positions. Responsibilities will be assigned based on the strengths and experience of the selected candidates.
· Background in music, music education, or music administration
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with ArtsVision
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills
· Excellent critical thinking, strategic planning, and problem solving skills
· Independently motivated
· Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
· Ability to work on a team and adapt to changing work priorities
· Positive and professional demeanor
· Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
· Previous summer festival experience
Some nights and weekends are required, including concert duty.
Traveling between Miraflores campus and off-site venues is frequently required.
The Artist Liaisons report to the Senior Director of Festival and Production
Compensation and Benefits
The Artist Liaison compensation range is $14.00-15.00 per hour and commensurate with skills and experience. Seasonal employees are not eligible for Music Academy benefits. Housing is included during the employment period.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
Music Academy of the West
Founded in 1947, Music Academy of the West offers year-round programming for the local community and talented musicians from around the world. Each year, 140 fellows ages 18-34 are selected by merit-based audition from more than 2,000 applicants worldwide to participate in an eight-week Summer School and Festival to prepare them for 21st-century careers. During the Summer Festival, fellows receive opportunities for advanced study and frequent orchestral, chamber, recital and masterclass performances under the guidance of more than 70 internationally renowned faculty and guest artists. Each fellow attends on full scholarship covering tuition, room and board. In 2018, the Music Academy began a partnership with the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) that brings LSO musicians to Santa Barbara to teach and perform and sends twelve Keston MAX Fellows to London for ten days of training and performance with the orchestra. Career-launching opportunities for fellows and alumni are offered through the Academy’s Innovation Institute. Summer Innovation Seminars bring together industry leaders and cutting-edge artists to engage fellows and audiences in discussion about the present and future state of classical music, while the annual Fast Pitch Awards give fellows a platform to present their entrepreneurial ideas. The Academy’s Alumni Enterprise Awards have provided more than $220,000 in grants for forward-thinking projects in artistic expression, audience development, education, community engagement, social justice and technology; recipients of the awards are also invited to attend a five-day Innovation Residential. Academy alumni create careers in music and beyond and are members of major symphony orchestras, chamber orchestras, ensembles, opera companies, and academic faculties throughout the world. Music Academy of the West also provides music education locally through Sing!, a free, after-school choral initiative for seven-to-twelve-year-olds from 28 schools in Santa Barbara County. The Academy presents more than 150 public events annually in four campus venues and in sites across Santa Barbara and online. For more information, please visit musicacademy.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy of the West is among the nation’s preeminent summer schools and festivals for gifted young classically-trained musicians. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides these musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and performance under the guidance of internationally-renowned faculty artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Admission to the Academy is strictly merit based, and fellows receive full scholarships (tuition, room, and board). The Music Academy of the West cultivates discerning, appreciative, and adventurous audiences, presenting more than 200 public events annually. For more information, visit musicacademy.org