Position: Music Librarian
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Seasonal, Full-time, Exempt
Employment Period: March 18 through August 14, 2018
Santa Barbara Residency: June 10 through August 13, 2019
Music Librarian oversees all activities of the circulation and orchestra library, including the preparation, distribution, and collection of music for five orchestra concerts, one chamber orchestra concert, one opera, and various chamber performances. The Music Librarian works closely with faculty, conductors, fellows, and Music Academy administration and reports to the Senior Director of Festival and Production.
• Procure, and prepare music for orchestra, opera, ensembles, and chamber groups, including managing rentals and purchases
• Prepare and distribute all audition and competition packets
• Confirm and distribute instrumentation details
• Prepare and distribute practice parts to faculty and fellows including pre-summer scans of all chamber and orchestra parts, as well as audition and competition packets
• Distribute orchestra folders prior to rehearsals and concerts, attend rehearsals/concerts, and reset music during stage changes as necessary
• Manage bowings, cuts, and other musical markings as necessary
• Manage folders and scores at all orchestra services
• Manage billing, tracking invoices and ensuring timely payments to vendors
• Manage inventory of current holdings, new acquisitions, and rental music
• Oversee and manage Library Assistant
• Provide customer service to faculty and fellows during library office hours including check-out of music folders as well as locating solo/chamber music in library stacks
The Music Academy of the West seeks to hire candidates who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success.
• Three years orchestral or opera library experience
• Knowledge of and ability to read classical music
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with ArtsVision
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Excellent critical thinking, strategic planning, and problem solving skills
• Independently motivated
• Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work on a team and adapt to changing work priorities
• Positive and professional demeanor
• Previous summer festival experience
• Ability to lift and distribute heavy boxes of music.
• Class C Driver’s License with proof of Personal Liability Insurance
Some evenings and weekends are required, including concert duty.
Traveling between Miraflores campus and off-site venues is frequently required.
The Music Librarian reports to the Senior Director of Festival and Production, and assists in management of the Library Assistant.
Compensation and Benefits
• Flat-rate salary range is $4,000 – $5,000 commensurate to experience to be paid per the Academy’s payroll schedule
• Housing, in the form of private room in a shared house, is included during the residency period.
• Seasonal position ineligible for Music Academy benefits except where required by law
Please email a letter of interest and current resume by March 15, 2019, to firstname.lastname@example.org using a Subject Header of Music Librarian. No phone calls, please. The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy of the West is among the nation’s preeminent summer schools and festivals for gifted young classically trained musicians. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides these musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and performance under the guidance of internationally renowned faculty artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Admission to the Academy is strictly merit based, and fellows receive full scholarships (tuition, room, and board). The Music Academy of the West cultivates discerning, appreciative, and adventurous audiences, presenting more than 200 public events annually. For more information, visit musicacademy.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy of the West is among the nation’s preeminent summer schools and festivals for gifted young classically-trained musicians. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides these musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and performance under the guidance of internationally-renowned faculty artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Admission to the Academy is strictly merit based, and fellows receive full scholarships (tuition, room, and board). The Music Academy of the West cultivates discerning, appreciative, and adventurous audiences, presenting more than 200 public events annually. For more information, visit musicacademy.org