Position: Assistant, Vocal Institute
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Seasonal, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Employment Period: June 17 through August 13, 2019
The Assistant, Vocal Institute serves as a member of the Music Academy of the West’s summer administration in order to assist in the day-to-day operations of the Academy’s Vocal Institute. The Assistant, Vocal Institute acts as a secondary point of contact and liaison between all voice and vocal piano fellows, Vocal Institute faculty, mainstage opera staff, and visiting guest artists, and is integral in updating and distributing the overall schedule.
• Assist Director of Administration, Vocal Institute in day-to-day operations of the Vocal Institute office
o Distribute and assist in managing schedules for all vocal program events including rehearsals, performances, masterclasses, lessons and coachings
• Produce vocal masterclasses as well as assisting on producing the annual Marilyn Horne Song Competition
o Act as production liaison for all non-opera related vocal performances
• Manage preparation of printed programs including creating texts and translations for all Vocal Institute events including performances, masterclasses, and the Marilyn Horne Song Competition
• Coordinate score requests for Vocal Institute in conjunction with Music Library
• Circulate comp tickets for voice and vocal piano fellows in conjunction with Ticket Office
• Coordinate any necessary medical appointments for voice and vocal piano fellows in conjunction with Student Services
• Serve as additional Vocal Institute liaison to Advancement, Marketing and Communications, Student Services, and other Music Academy constituencies as necessary
• Attend Vocal Institute events, as necessary
• Assist the Vocal Institute in other duties as assigned
The Music Academy of the West seeks to hire candidates who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success.
• Knowledge of classical music production
• Knowledge of vocal repertoire
• Ability to read music
• Experience with theatre audio and lighting
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with ArtsVision
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Excellent critical thinking, strategic planning, and problem solving skills
• Independently motivated
• Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work on a team and adapt to changing work priorities
• Positive and professional demeanor
• Previous summer festival experience
• Class C Driver’s License with proof of Personal Liability Insurance
Some nights and weekends may be required, including concert duty.
Traveling between Miraflores campus, Westmont campus, and off-site venues is frequently required.
The Vocal Institute Production Assistant reports to the Director of Administration, Vocal Institute.
Compensation and Benefits
• Hourly wage of $12 – $13 per hour, commensurate to experience.
• Seasonal positions are ineligible for Music Academy benefits except where required by law.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume by March 15, 2019, to firstname.lastname@example.org using a Subject Header of Vocal Institute Assistant. No phone calls, please. The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy of the West is among the nation’s preeminent summer schools and festivals for gifted young classically trained musicians. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides these musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and performance under the guidance of internationally renowned faculty artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Admission to the Academy is strictly merit based, and fellows receive full scholarships (tuition, room, and board). The Music Academy of the West cultivates discerning, appreciative, and adventurous audiences, presenting more than 200 public events annually. For more information, visit musicacademy.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Music Academy of the West
The Music Academy of the West is among the nation’s preeminent summer schools and festivals for gifted young classically-trained musicians. At its ocean-side campus in Santa Barbara, the Academy provides these musicians with the opportunity for advanced study and performance under the guidance of internationally-renowned faculty artists, guest conductors, and soloists. Admission to the Academy is strictly merit based, and fellows receive full scholarships (tuition, room, and board). The Music Academy of the West cultivates discerning, appreciative, and adventurous audiences, presenting more than 200 public events annually. For more information, visit musicacademy.org