GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION
Opera Colorado seeks a full-time Marketing Manager to develop, project manage, and implement key department advertising, publications, and communications initiatives. This is an ideal role for a word-savvy, detail-oriented arts lover with the talent and enthusiasm for executing a wide range of marketing and communications duties—whether working with outside graphic designers to create materials, laying out program book pages and writing/editing copy, creating email campaigns, coordinating with printers and mail houses, or engaging with the public at Opera Colorado events. Under the supervision of the Director of Marketing & Audience Development, the Marketing Manager works to best convey the Opera Colorado brand through all channels, and to support the company’s public relations, charitable giving, ticket revenue, and attendance goals. This position also supports the department’s audience development mission through on-site assistance with patron experience initiatives at events, and through the day-to-day management of Inside OC, Opera Colorado’s young professionals group.
• Managing the company’s email marketing across all departments, including planning campaigns, writing copy, laying out templates, working with the Multimedia Producer for visual assets, managing subscriber lists, deploying emails, and monitoring/reporting on analytics.
• Project managing the advertising cycle (print, digital, outdoor, and broadcast), including booking placements, facilitating the production of advertising artwork and/or assets (whether created in-house or with outside partners), and managing project budgets.
• Project managing the publications cycle for the company’s program books and marketing collateral, including working with outside graphic designers and freelance writers; fact-checking, copy-editing, and copy-writing; interfacing with key stakeholders and vendors, including staff, printers, and mail houses; and managing project budgets.
• Day-to-day management of Inside OC, the company’s subscription-based young professionals group, including planning and successfully executing Inside OC’s seasonal events and performance receptions; developing marketing campaigns to grow the Inside OC subscriber base; and managing the Inside OC operating budget.
• Co-managing Opera Colorado’s website, operacolorado.org, on a day-to-day basis via both WordPress and TNEW, with the support of the company’s outside web agency for complex troubleshooting and development inquiries.
• Basic layout and design work using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop, largely using pre-designed templates.
• Maintaining Opera Colorado’s archive of press clips, promotional materials, and photography.
• On-site assistance in audience development and patron experience efforts at Opera Colorado events.
• Potential for additional writing/editorial opportunities available, based on candidate’s skill and interest.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
• Minimum two years’ professional experience in marketing, communications, journalism, or related field.
• Basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Photoshop (additional training provided).
• A passion for the arts is a must; an educational or professional background in the arts—specifically opera or classical music—is strongly preferred.
• Ability to work within flexible hours around programming, with frequent activity on nights and weekends during the run of productions.
• Exacting attention to detail, a prowess for multitasking, and a reverence for deadlines.
• Exceptional verbal and written communications skills, with a keen sense of design and sales copywriting.
• Strategic thinker with ability to work both independently and as part of a high-performing cross functional team.
• Demonstrated ability to work in an open, respectful and collaborative environment.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Opera Colorado offers a competitive salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package that includes company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, and 401K with company match.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume, along with any one example of your creativity (a professional article or press release, a personal blog post, a photo of a sweater you once knit for your best friend, etc.) to Tamara Vallejos, Director of Marketing & Audience Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline to apply is Monday, May 20.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Opera Colorado
Opera Colorado has served as a cornerstone of Denver’s cultural community since 1981. In addition to its mainstage performances at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House each season, the company affirms its commitment to the future of the art form by annually presenting new works; with its nationally recognized Artist in Residence Program that trains the next generation of opera performers; and by each year reaching more than 45,000 students and adults through its many education and community engagement programs throughout the Rocky Mountain region. The 2018-19 season has featured Verdi’s La Traviata (November 2018) and Mozart’s The Marriage of Figaro (May 2019) at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House, and a sold-out double-bill of the one-act operas After Life and Josephine by Tom Cipullo at the Kirkland Museum of Fine & Decorative Art (February/March 2019). The upcoming 2019-20 season will include Rossini’s The Barber of Seville, Leoncavallo’s Pagliacci and Puccini’s Tosca, all at the Ellie Caulkins Opera House.