Website Philharmonic Society of Orange County
Job Title: Patron Stewardship and Special Events Manager
Location: Irvine, CA
Enrollment Type: Full-time, exempt
Primary Reporting to: Vice President of Development / Senior Director of Development
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Medical and Dental insurance, 403(b) contribution plan available.
The Philharmonic Society of Orange County (PSOC) seeks an experienced, outward facing Development professional who is responsible for developing donor engagement strategies for the PSOC through special events, creative stewardship, and annual giving and membership campaigns. The Patron Stewardship and Special Events Manager will participate as a member of the PSOC Development team and will work closely with the PSOC’s Development team to help secure gifts from individuals, organizations, corporations, and foundations. This position will have significant direct contact with the PSOC’s diverse internal and external audiences including members, patrons, board, staff, volunteers, and donors. This position also communicates with donors regarding annual fund-level gifts, endowment agreements, event logistics, meetings and other information—including confidential gift information.
Event and Volunteer Management
· Oversees, plans, and executes events in collaboration with key PSOC staff, including a large annual gala each year. This position leads the coordination and oversight of event concept, logistics, protocols, and processes ensuring adherence to budget guidelines and revenue goals. This position acts as the event lead and project manager point-person for all aspects of annual events, including: Gala Co-chairs, Sponsors, Procurement, Volunteers, Vendor management, Permitting, Fund the Future, Creative and Audience Development.
· Design and implement stewardship and board/donor engagement through other events during the year to communicate the PSOC’s impact and community work. These events and activities are designed to steward and cultivate donors and have strategic fundraising goals.
· Provide professional and strategic production management of all events related to members and prospects, with an emphasis on higher-level donors. This includes:
– Special opening night events for members
– Sponsor dinners with patrons and artists
– Private Music “Salons” at donors’ homes
– Annual Spring Gala (Major Fundraising event for the year)
– Annual Corporate Appreciation Night
– Open Rehearsals
– Other events as scheduled
· Collaborate with PSOC staff to identify opportunities for donors to engage with visiting artists
· Make personal invitations to members when appropriate to deepen their engagement.
· Arrange major gift donor visits/receptions in support of major gift stewardship as needed.
· Supervise and collaborate with event volunteers.
· Supervise and collaborate with an outside event planning consultant (when appropriate) to plan and execute all special events including the annual Gala. This involves:
– Active participation and oversight of Gala Committee
– Management of invitations and registration system
– Oversight and follow-up of payments, pledge fulfillments, and gift acknowledgements
– Clear communication across multiple internal and external constituents
– Identification and implementation of best practices for continued follow up with event sponsors and guests that will maintain and increase continued engagement with attendees
Stewardship & Donor Engagement
· Implement the PSOC stewardship and donor recognition plan. Execute creative stewardship strategies designed to acknowledge, thank, and stimulate pride within the PSOC donor base. Build and maintain the process for broad-based donor engagement and help grow the number of prospective supporters. Duties include but are not limited to: producing donor acknowledgement communications from the key leaders/staff, generate annual reports to highlight impact, and support the VP of Development in relationship building.
· Support the creation and production of PSOC publications, correspondence, and other communications related to Advancement efforts. Assist in content development, copy-editing and strategy as needed associated with the PSOC and other broad donor communications. Work with Marketing and Communications team on design of all printed and electronic materials as appropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, advancement materials as well as other materials and collateral associated with the PSOC.
· Represent the PSOC at community and professional functions as appropriate. Interface with parents, families, friends, donors, and community members and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
· Execute stewardship activities including, but not limited to; weekly gift acknowledgement letters, tailored thank-you and acknowledgment vehicles for major donors (i.e. letters from leadership and people impacted by their gift), stewardship gatherings, and website acknowledgements as appropriate.
· Work in collaboration with the Development Staff to organize and implement corporate partnership benefits that seek to extend PSOC presence and visibility in the community.
Gift Processing & Fiscal Responsibilities
· Manage and report out on the events and stewardship budgets (income and expenses). This position will work with the Finance Team throughout the year to ensure that the events budget is on track. Throughout the year, this position is responsible for processing gift transmittal forms for any gifts associated with the PSOC.
Other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus a minimum of three years of experience in events management, fundraising, development, public relations or a related field.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an integral part of a team; to problem solve, take initiative, set priorities, handle multiple projects, and exercise good judgment in a fast paced, dynamic, deadline driven environment in an organized and professional manner.
· Proven project management and special event coordination experience, with an accurate and thorough approach to detail
· Proven experience in working successfully with and supporting Board members and volunteers.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; poised manner; ability to exercise discretionary judgment and professionally handle sensitive situations. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Superior organizational and time management skills; ability to oversee multiple projects and quickly discern priorities among competing interests; flexibility and adaptability to changing needs; proven ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of team.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, diplomatically, and effectively, and maintain a positive outlook while meeting multiple deadlines.
· Demonstrated proficiency with a multitude of technology platforms; Zoom, Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), relational databases, and web-based tools for the generation of correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, and forms.
· Willingness and ability to learn the Tessitura database system, and other proprietary software products.
· Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner.
· Experience in performing arts and classical music a plus but not required.
· Experience with Tessitura Software
· Effective communications: Expresses oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communication, i.e., verbal and written, one-on-one and group, etc.
· Interpersonal Awareness: Builds and maintains positive relationships and actively contributes as a member of working teams to achieve results.
· Professional Credibility: Takes responsibility for meeting goals, objectives, obligations, and solving problems while representing the mission, vision and values of the organization.
· Critical Thinking: Obtains, analyzes and evaluates information effectively in the face of ambiguity. Makes appropriate decisions based on relevant information and experience.
· Ethics and Trust: Models and upholds the values of candor, openness, inclusiveness and honesty despite internal and external pressures. Acts consistently with organizational core values and beliefs.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with benefits including health and dental.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Please include in the subject line of your email:
Please submit materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format
Philharmonic Society of Orange County
1124 Main Street, Suite B
Irvine, CA 92614
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org