Website Philharmonic Society of Orange County
Job Title: Special Events Manager
Location: Irvine, CA
Enrollment Type: Full-time, exempt
Primary Reporting to: Vice President of Development / Senior Director of Development
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Benefits: Medical, Vision and Dental insurance, 403(b) contribution plan available
The Philharmonic Society of Orange County (PSOC) seeks an experienced, outward facing Development professional to join our team as Special Events Manager, who is responsible for developing and implementing donor engagement strategies for the Philharmonic Society through special events and related activities. The Special Events Manager will participate primarily as a member of the Philharmonic Society’s Development team, coordinating recognition and cultivation events and activities that contribute to achieving the goals and objectives of the department and organization. This position will have significant direct contact with the Philharmonic Society’s diverse internal and external audiences, including staff, board, donors, patrons, and volunteers. This position also supports the stewardship work of the organization by communicating with donors regarding confidential gift information, annual fund-level gifts, and other sensitive communications.
This position requires working flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES*
EVENT AND VOLUNTEER MANAGEMENT
• Oversees, plans, and executes events in collaboration with key Philharmonic Society staff, including but not limited to an Opening Night Dinner/Celebration, the Annual Gala, Laguna Beach Music Festival Prelude, Golden Baton Celebration, donor cultivation and recognition events (sponsor dinners, private in-home music salons, Corporate Appreciation Night, Subscriber Appreciation Night, pre- and post-concert dinners and receptions, intermission receptions, and open rehearsals), and others as scheduled.
o Coordinate and oversee event concept, logistics, protocols, and processes to ensure adherence to budget guidelines, revenue goals, and project timelines.
o Act as event lead and project manager point-person for all event aspects, including catering, décor, operations, staffing, and volunteer management. Liaise with staff, event chair(s) and committee members, sponsors, donors, vendors, volunteers, and key constituents on special events operations.
o Manage underwriting tracking process for events and process fundraising event ticket contributions. Track and ensure accuracy of donor acknowledgment as it pertains to event underwriting.
o Miscellaneous special events tasks, including preparing and distributing materials for internal and external meetings, attending meetings, processing check requests, invoices, and expense reports, creating and managing event budgets, reporting, filing, answering phones/emails, and other duties
o Supervise and collaborate with an outside event planning consultant (when appropriate) to plan and execute select major special events. This involves:
▪ Active participation and oversight of event planning process
▪ Active and clear communications with event chair(s) and committee, and across multiple internal and external constituents
▪ Management of event invitation process, mailings, and registration system
▪ Oversight and follow-up of payments, pledge fulfillments, and gift acknowledgements
▪ Identification and implementation of best practices for continued follow up with event sponsors and guests to maintain and increase continued engagement with attendees
• Design and implement stewardship and board/donor engagement strategy through events during the year to communicate the Philharmonic Society’s impact and community work. These events and activities are designed to steward and cultivate donors and have strategic fundraising goals.
• Collaborate with Philharmonic Society staff to identify opportunities for donors to engage with visiting artists
• Make personal invitations to members when appropriate to deepen their engagement.
• Arrange major gift donor visits/receptions in support of major gift stewardship as needed
• Along with other key Development team members, work to implement the Philharmonic Society stewardship and donor recognition plan. Duties include but are not limited to: producing donor acknowledgement communications from key leaders/staff, generate annual reports to highlight impact, and support the VP of Development in relationship building.
o Support execution and evaluation of benefits fulfillment and stewardship; collaborate with key staff and constituents to identify strategies to help increase visibility of donor benefits
o Execute creative stewardship strategies designed to acknowledge, thank, and stimulate pride within the Philharmonic Society donor base.
o Build and maintain the process for broad-based donor engagement to increase donor retention rates and help grow the number of prospective supporters.
o Support prospect identification and moves management activities. Work with Development team members to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward individuals according to stewardship and donor recognition plan.
• Support the creation and production of Philharmonic Society publications, correspondence, and other communications related to advancement efforts. Assist in content development, copy-editing and strategy as needed associated with the Philharmonic Society and other broad donor communications.
• Work with Marketing and Communications team on design of all printed and electronic materials as appropriate. This includes, but is not limited to, advancement materials as well as other materials and collateral associated with the Philharmonic Society.
• Represent the Philharmonic Society at community and professional functions as appropriate. Interface with key constituents—parents, families, friends, donors, and community members—and respond to inquiries in a timely manner.
• Execute stewardship activities including, but not limited to; weekly gift acknowledgement letters, tailored thank-you and acknowledgment vehicles for major donors (i.e. letters from leadership and people impacted by their gift), stewardship gatherings, and website acknowledgements as appropriate.
• Work in collaboration with Development team members to organize and implement corporate partnership benefits that seek to extend Philharmonic Society presence and visibility in the community.
GIFT PROCESSING & FISCAL RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manage and report out on the events and stewardship budgets (income and expenses).
• Work with the Finance Team throughout the year to ensure that the events budget is on track.
• Throughout the year, this position is responsible for processing gift transmittal forms for any gifts associated with the Philharmonic Society.
• Achieve proficiency with the Tessitura database and promote best practices.
• Accurately maintain database records and reports for special events, including responses, seating, dietary restrictions, and event dates.
*Other duties as assigned
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an integral part of a team; to problem solve, take initiative, set priorities, handle multiple projects, and exercise good judgment in a fast paced, dynamic, deadline driven environment in an organized and professional manner.
• Proven project management and special event coordination experience, with an accurate and thorough approach to detail
• Excellent interpersonal skills; poised manner; ability to exercise discretionary judgment and professionally handle sensitive situations. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, diplomatically, and effectively, and maintain a positive outlook while meeting multiple deadlines.
• Demonstrated proficiency with a multitude of technology platforms; Zoom, Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), relational databases, and web-based tools for the generation of correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, and forms.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner.
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in a related field plus a minimum of three years of experience in events management, fundraising, development, public relations or a related field.
• Experience in performing arts and classical music a plus but not required.
• Experience with Tessitura database system, or willingness to learn and other proprietary software.
• Effective communications: Expresses oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communication, i.e., verbal and written, one-on-one and group, etc.
• Interpersonal Awareness: Builds and maintains positive relationships and actively contributes as a member of working teams to achieve results.
• Professional Credibility: Takes responsibility for meeting goals, objectives, obligations, and solving problems while representing the mission, vision and values of the organization.
• Critical Thinking: Obtains, analyzes and evaluates information effectively in the face of ambiguity. Makes appropriate decisions based on relevant information and experience.
• Ethics and Trust: Models and upholds the values of candor, openness, inclusiveness and honesty despite internal and external pressures. Acts consistently with organizational core values and beliefs.
• Frequently perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, and writing by hand
• Routine sitting, walking, standing, bending, squatting, kneeling
• Occasional lifting/carrying of loads weighing up to 30 pounds
The Philharmonic Society of Orange County will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform essential functions of his or her job.
• Candidates must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered.
• This position requires working flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: HR@philharmonicsociety.org
Please include in the subject line of your email:
Please submit materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format
Philharmonic Society of Orange County
1124 Main Street, Suite B
Irvine, CA 92614
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org