Lighting and Projections Supervisor
Syracuse Stage, the professional theatre in residence at Syracuse University, is accepting applications for a Lighting and Projections Supervisor.
The production department and shops support both the professional productions of Syracuse Stage and those of the Syracuse University Department of Drama. Employees work with professionals and undergraduates in all areas.
Syracuse Stage is committed to anti-racism, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of our work, on and offstage, and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Syracuse Stage acknowledges, with respect, the Onondaga Nation, firekeepers of the Haudenosaunee, the Indigenous people on whose ancestral lands Stage now stands. https://www.onondaganation.org.
Candidates from underrepresented groups and those who share these values and have demonstrable experience advocating for anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
The hired candidate will be subject to all COVID-19 protocols set forth by government, Syracuse University, and partner unions, including but not limited to, documentation of vaccination or documentation of medical/sincerely held religious exemption from vaccination.
Please use the URL below to complete our online submission form
If you have any difficulty with submitting via the google form, please email materials to HR@SyracuseStage.org
We ask for materials in written form, but we invite applicants to share using whatever format best supports their skill set, be it written, audio, or video. Alternatives to a digital portfolio can be a link to a website, a social media account that predominantly contains relevant work, or a shared platform (such as a google folder).
All applications will be reviewed, and some will be selected to submit additional information. Leading candidates will be interviewed.
Please include a resume and 3 professional references.
The Lighting and Projections Supervisor reports to the Director of Production Operations and leads & supervises a 4-person staff. They are responsible for coordinating and overseeing the load in, hang, focus and strike of Syracuse Stage and Syracuse University Drama Department productions in two or more spaces. They control all lighting and projection related budgets and repair and maintain all lighting equipment in the Syracuse Stage/Drama Theatre complex. The electrics shop is located on site.
The description of the position in this document is representative and not exhaustive. Regular collaboration between shops in the production department and the wider organization is expected. Duties and responsibilities may shift with organizational needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilitate the lighting and projection designs for Syracuse Stage and Syracuse University Drama Department productions.
• Work with the professional and student designers in the budgeting of time, money, and materials for all productions
• Advise in the evaluation, selection, and supervision of student designers for the Drama Department productions.
• Supervise and train all LX staff, student assistants, and student crews to ensure safety and quality of workmanship.
• Assume responsibility for the maintenance of all lighting and projection equipment, storage areas, and electrics work areas in the Syracuse Stage/Drama Complex Theatre.
• Provide lighting equipment for auxiliary functions for the Syracuse Stage/Drama Complex (including but not limited to cabarets, annual fundraisers, benefits, and touring productions).
• Attend all technical/dress rehearsals and preview performances for Syracuse Stage productions as required by the Director of Production Operations. Provide a qualified representative at all Drama Department technical/dress rehearsals and preview performances as needed.
Ideal Candidate Attributes:
• Proven written and oral communication skills
• Calendar driven
• Positive attitude
• Good leader with staff and students
Ideal Candidate Skills:
• Management experience with employees of varying skill levels
• Design experience valuable yet not required
• Experience in hang, circuiting, and focus of lighting and projections equipment for theatrical productions
• Experience/Knowledge of console programming (ETC consoles preferred)
• General lighting equipment maintenance
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
• Work at heights, on ladders and lifts
• Nights/weekend work is to be expected
• Use proper safety equipment and methods for the job
• Lift 75 pounds
Position Dates & Salary Information:
• Full-time position; annual salary of 56,447.82
• Weekend and overtime often required; exempt status
• Generous benefits package, including health insurance
• Typical schedule is: Monday – Friday, 8:00AM – 4:30PM; Show/Rehearsal calls as scheduled
The targeted start date is September 15, 2023
To apply for this job please visit www.syracusestage.org.