The Chicago Philharmonic Society is seeking a detail-oriented, data-driven, enthusiastic marketing professional to manage our marketing, advertising, communications and patron services. We are a unique, musician-governed organization presenting top-level symphonic and chamber concerts at venues around the Chicago area. Our Community Engagement initiatives reach over 4,000 participants yearly, and we are a proud partner of the Joffrey Ballet, Ravinia Festival, and other arts organizations.
1) Plan and execute advertising and communications campaigns for the Chicago Philharmonic achieving annual, program-specific and long-range goals for attendance, subscription and patron engagement.
– Manage all aspects of the season launch, including copywriting and creative visual direction for the season brochure, program guide, website assets and other collateral.
– Manage the annual subscription campaign, achieving goals for subscriber retention and conversion of ticket buyers to subscribers.
– Plan, book and execute strategic, multi-channel marketing campaigns for all self-presented performances, including print, digital and paid advertising
– Plan, develop and execute patron and subscriber communications across the ticketing timeline.
2) Manage external communications, serving as brand manager and primary liaison to the press.
– In conjunction with the executive director and the board, set the direction for the Chicago Philharmonic’s brand identity ensuring that all external communications reflect the organization’s mission, vision and values.
– Lead the graphic designer on the creative direction of campaigns and other materials in compliance with overall brand identity
– Develop, write and produce strategic content for video, electronic and print distribution
– Proof communications across departments to ensure adherence to brand and style guidelines
– Draft, edit and manage production of the Program Guide (2x/year), the Annual Report (1x per year), program inserts and musician rosters for each performance and the monthly newsletter
– Write or proof and send press releases, invitations, requests, pitches
– Foster relationships with key press
3) Manage Chicago Philharmonic concert and event ticketing
– Maintain relationships with venue marketing and ticketing staff
– Build concerts on ticketing software and complete venue ticket templates.
4) Ensure Outstanding Patron Services
– Manage front of house at self-presented concerts
– Serve as staff liaison on the Patron Services Committee and as a public representative of Chicago Philharmonic to external stakeholders.
5) Manage marketing and ticket admission finances
– Plan the annual campaign and marketing budgets, including expense and revenue projections.
– Reconcile expenses and income against accounting records
– Report marketing finances to the Financial Services Committee and the Board of Directors
– Other administrative, communications and design duties as assigned
Skills & Abilities
– Bachelor or master’s degree in a relevant field with strong background in writing, marketing and/or communication.
– At least three years of experience in event or arts marketing, including prior experience in digital and traditional marketing strategies.
– Outstanding written and verbal communications skills; displays empathy and emotional intelligence when relating to others and is comfortable engaging and interacting with new people.
– Strong attention to detail and organization skills, comfortable in a fast-paced environment.
– Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, Ovation, Tessitura, or other ticketing and customer relations management software.
– Proficiency in marketing tools such as social media, google assets, website editing and email marketing platforms.
– Proficiency in Adobe assets (Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere Pro) highly regarded.
– Knowledge and/or interest in learning about orchestral/classical music a plus.
This is a full-time permanent position.
Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, and at least one marketing sample to:
No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About The Chicago Philharmonic Society
The Chicago Philharmonic Society is a collaboration of nearly 200 of the highest-level classical musicians performing in the Chicago metropolitan area. Governed under a groundbreaking structure of musician leadership, the Society presents concerts at venues throughout the Chicago area that cover the full spectrum of classical music, from Bach to Bernstein and beyond. The Society’s orchestra, known simply as the Chicago Philharmonic, has been called “one of the country’s finest symphonic orchestras” (Chicago Tribune), and its unique chamber music ensembles, which perform as the Chicago Philharmonic Chamber Players, draw from its vast pool of versatile musicians.
The Society’s outreach programs connect Chicago-area youth to classical music and provide performance opportunities for members of the community. Founded in 1988 by principal musicians from the Lyric Opera Orchestra, the Chicago Philharmonic, aside from presenting symphonic and chamber music concerts, currently serves as the official orchestra of the Joffrey Ballet, continues its longtime association with the Ravinia Festival, and partners with other outstanding local and national arts organizations on a regular basis.