Utah Symphony | Utah Opera (USUO), the Intermountain West’s premier arts organization located in the heart of Salt Lake City, is seeking a Development Assistant (DA). The DA would be joining an organization that in recent years has developed great artistic momentum combined with financial stability from six consecutive balanced budgets. With a budget of $24 Million, USUO serves over 350,000 individuals each year through performances at Abravanel Hall, the Janet Quinney Lawson Capitol Theatre, the Deer Valley® Music Festival, and a state-wide education and community engagement program.
The DA reports to the VP of Development and interacts closely with other members of the Development team, primarily the Development Operations Manager and the Director of Institutional Giving. Primary responsibilities include Front of House duties (coordinating intermission receptions), database maintenance, executing donor recognition and benefits, and providing general office support to the nine-person development team.
• Front of House Liaison
o Coordinate volunteer needs with Front of House Director and Salt Lake County
o Fulfill donor recognition
o Manage supplies
• Database (Tessitura) maintenance under the supervision of the Development Operations Manager and to include but not limited to
o Support for gift entry
o Thank you letters
o Invoices and tax receipts
• Maintain Development photo and resource library
• Prepare solicitation materials as requested
• Fulfill donor recognition and benefits, including website, screen, playbill, and social media recognition, and other benefits as appropriate
• Track trade agreements with restaurants and other vendors
• Provide general development office support as needed
• Serve as an ambassador for USUO at events, performances and at the Deer Valley® Music Festival
• Other duties as assigned
• Commitment to the mission of Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• Prior experience in fundraising, non-profit work, or the equivalent preferred
• Extremely detail-oriented and thorough when completing tasks; attentive to deadlines
• Positive, professional, collaborative, and team-oriented attitude
• Tessitura experience preferred
• Thrives in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Genuine interest and passion for the arts, especially classical music
• Values diversity of thought, backgrounds and perspectives
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and references by February 28, 2019 to:
Leslie Peterson, Vice President of Development
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
123 W South Temple
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
About Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
Founded in 1940, the Utah Symphony performs more than 175 concerts each season and offers all Utahns easy access to world-class live musical performances of the world’s greatest music in the state’s top venues. Named the orchestra’s seventh music director in 2009, Thierry Fischer has attracted leading musicians and top soloists to the community, and celebrated the orchestra’s 75th anniversary with a performance at Carnegie Hall. Building on the legacy by long-time Music Director Maurice Abravanel, Maestro Fischer continues to record the orchestra; its most recent release is an album for Hyperion of music by Saint-Saëns.
Utah Opera, established by Glade Peterson in 1978, has been part of the Utah community for 40 years and engages audiences through inspiring operatic performances. The opera company presents four annual productions at the historic Janet Quinney Lawson Capitol, In addition to producing classic works from the operatic repertoire, Utah Opera also emphasizes the importance of contemporary American opera, with notable achievements including most recently the creation and premiere in 2018 of the second production of Jake Heggie’s and Gene Scheer’s “Moby-Dick,” which will appear in co-producing companies throughout the United States and Europe. Current Artistic Director, Christopher McBeth, joined the company in the fall of 2000 and took over primary artistic leadership in 2003.
The six-week Deer Valley® Music Festival is the summer home of the Utah Symphony, and was named one of the top summer destinations by CNN in 2016.
Utah Symphony | Utah Opera, the orchestra’s parent organization, merged in 2002 and reaches 400,000 residents in Utah and the Intermountain region, with music outreach programs serving around 150,000 students annually. For more information visit www.usuo.org