Connector and listener. Personable and endearing. Meticulously detail-oriented. You possess an appreciation for building, leading and steering a team of volunteers – volunteers who are committed to creating opportunity for youth to grow and develop both personally and musically.
The Development Manager is responsible for creating and successfully executing the Youth Symphony’s individual contributed revenue strategy, which currently represents 40% of all contributed revenue annually. This important role is charged with growing individual giving, primarily through alumni and parent engagement.
Key relationships include program alumni, participating families and other community members who are passionate about the program. This role works closely with the Executive Director to achieve contributed revenue goals and with the Communications and Marketing Associate to ensure consistency with Youth Symphony of Kansas City messaging and branding. A part-time Grant Writer/Database Administrator also serves within the Development team.
Position Title: Development Manager
Structure: Full-Time, exempt
Supervisor: Executive Director
Annual Fund Management (35%)
- Create a comprehensive development calendar including deadlines and necessary resources; plan and execute individual annual fund appeal, donor engagement and stewardship plans
- Coordinate the design and execution of all appeals, donor-related mailings and materials, ensure consistency among materials and messaging in coordination with Communications and Marketing Associate
- Serve as primary relationship manager for individuals who invest up to $500
- Plan, execute and attend all individual donor-related receptions, events, etc.
Affinity Group Management (40%)
- Serve as primary staff liaison for YSKC Parent Committee and Alumni Committee affinity groups; work collaboratively with volunteer chairs within each group to steer committee priorities and achieve goals
- Develop and execute alumni engagement plan and stewardship strategy
- Serve as primary organizational point of contact for alumni
- Recommend alumni to be featured in newsletter and other promotional materials to Communications and Marketing Associate
Corporate Relations (15%)
- Lead-generation – initiate calls with area businesses and companies with which Youth Symphony has a tangential relationship through parents of musicians, alumni and others; discern opportunity for collaboration between organization and businesses
- Design, promote and execute sponsorship opportunities
- Serve as point of contact for businesses
- Attend and serve as lead in planning meetings of the Parent Committee and Alumni Committee; attend Development Committee meetings
- Record donor interactions and stewardship activities in donor database (Salesforce)
- Coordinate with Operations staff to engage student musicians for special functions
- Provide written and/or oral reports for board meetings, etc. as requested by Executive Director
- Attend all concerts and special events as requested by Executive Director
- Perform other duties as assigned
- REQUIRED: Bachelor’s degree, two to four years of successful previous professional fund development experience within a non-profit organization
- Accountable and professional
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal and listening skills
- Ability to foster relationships with constituents at all levels: donors, parents of participating musicians, alumni
- Ability to initiate relationship-building calls
- Sense of humor, flexibility
- Advanced computer abilities or ability to become proficient in Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Google Apps, Salesforce; working knowledge of general database management principles
Compensation, Benefits and Workload
Compensation: $39,500 (starting)
Benefits: Insurance: Health/Dental/Vision (90% of premium is employer-funded, 10% of premium is employee-funded) Long Term Disability Insurance is also available (100% employee-funded.)
Youth Symphony of Kansas City is a family-friendly workplace with flex-time and family leave provided as necessary.
Workload: This position is a full-time, salaried position, with a general workweek structure of 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday-Friday. Evening and weekend hours – in particular, Sunday afternoons – are required intermittently and counted as flex-time from within the regular workweek. Offers of employment are conditional upon a successful criminal background check. This process will be executed during the final stages of the hiring process.
To apply: Send a letter of application, resume and a minimum of one personal and three professional references via email to email@example.com using the email subject line: Development Manager. Materials should be sent in PDF format. No phone calls, please. Applications are held in strict confidence.
Application Deadline: Priority review deadline is Monday, March 11, however applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
No phone calls, please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Youth Symphony of Kansas City
Youth Symphony of Kansas City is a vibrant music education organization that provides enhanced orchestral experiences and builds the present and future classical music community. Through its four full orchestras and string programs, 450 students participate in the 2017-18 season, bringing live symphonic music to more than 15,000 annually in free concerts throughout the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. The organization celebrates its 60th Anniversary Season in 2018-2019.
Students audition annually to participate in the program. In the most recent audition cycle, more than 700 musicians auditioned. Students perform concerts for community-wide audiences in cherished venues such as Helzberg Hall at the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, the Folly Theater, Yardley Hall, the Gem Theater and others throughout the area. In April 2015, the organization relocated its administrative offices to the bustling Crossroads Arts District. In June 2018, 100 musicians participated in the Youth Symphony’s Austria Tour – its second international tour in three years.
At a time when some smaller arts organizations have struggled, Youth Symphony of Kansas City is thriving with steadily increasing interest in its programming, a commitment to engaging in new collaborations and a history of quality educational experiences and fiscal responsibility.