Website Adventure Theatre MTC
Inspiring new generations of theater artists and audiences
Director of Production
Position: Director of Production
Position Status: Full-time Exempt
Reports to: Artistic Director
Salary: $60,000 with exceptional benefits (see below)
Updated: October 25, 2021
Adventure Theatre MTC (ATMTC) is committed to building self-sufficiency within our community through acknowledging and removing barriers both seen and unseen to those who would like to participate in the art of theater.
ATMTC believes fundamentally in inspiring wonder in our audiences, classrooms, work culture and community by combining inspiration and action, paired with a desire to lean into the whimsical. At Adventure, we hope to do as much playing in our work as we do on our stages and in our classrooms, and to never cease pushing the limits of possibility.
ATMTC is the pre-eminent Theater Academy for youth in the DC region with an integrated and nationally renowned professional theater for family audiences. Our mission is to educate and inspire new generations of theater artists and audiences with exceptional theatrical experiences.
ATMTC is looking for a Director of Production to lead the Production Department and execute the Artistic Director’s vision for theatrical programming. To achieve this, the DOP coordinates, communicates, and problem solves so that all activities between the directors, designers, and artists are effectively collaborating and that each production remains within the available resources of time, budget and personnel.
General work days are Wednesday – Sunday, with exact hours guided by production schedules.
Additional hours as required for mandatory staff meetings/events.
· Serve as the communications glue between the AD, the creative team and the over hire/builders whom are tasked with building the creative team’s vision.
· In coordination with the AD, manage the detailed production master calendar including all theatre activities, academy activities, showcases, final showings and student productions.
· Set and oversee a detailed tech/load in calendar that balances creative team’s conflicts with over hire support to fulfill the creative team’s vision.
· In coordination with the AD manage the production budget including reporting, reconciliation, and support each show’s creative team on how achieve their vision within the budget.
· Manage all contract templates, getting approvals for new templates with EXEC TEAM and submitting each contract to the Accounting team.
· Support AD and Director by facilitating casting and creative hires (designers, choreographers, etc.)
· Supporting the Literary Manager to produce all workshops, including hiring, scheduling, and space needs.
· Supports Literary Manager and AD with periodic play festivals, including hiring, scheduling, and space needs.
· Assist in building anti-racist, equitable, work culture and practices
· Producing the Academy Shows, overseeing hiring, contracts, scheduling, reporting and working with Academy.
· Oversee the technical aspects for Academy Productions, includes pre-production, tech week, and strike.
Tech & Stage Management
· In support of the creative vision of each project, hire and support production contractors to produce stage productions including lighting, sound, scenery props, puppets, projections, costumes and rigging; scheduling crew and facility requirements in support of that creative vision.
· Work with directors and designers to creatively solve all safety, technical and financial challenges
· Ensure all productions are safe and within OSHA guidelines including but not limited to repetitive physical work/choreography and placing preventative safe guards to protect our artists and over hires
· Oversee all stage managers for Main Stage, Academy and Digital productions; including proper reporting, safety protocols, and communications that expedite any support needed.
· Serve as emergency Stage Manager as needed.
Community Engagement, Communications, and Facilities
· Represent Adventure in the community as Director of Production
· Support the Development Department in executing special events and galas in such areas as scheduling, space management, navigating ongoing productions/rehearsals, equipment load in/load out, etc.
· Coordinate with the Communications Department and stage management to schedule photo shoots and promotional events to support marketing campaigns
· Oversee all facility contractors of Glen Echo and the Wintergreen site which includes theater, rehearsal rooms and building maintenance
· Oversee maintenance of company equipment;
· Successful record of leading a driven team with exceptional communication skills, urgency, and kindness;
· Demonstrated positive attitude and self-directed with a strong work ethic;
· Demonstrated attention to detail;
· Enjoyment of building a network and community of artists and technicians;
· Demonstrated ability to think clearly through time pressure situations and solve problems;
· Familiarity with production and design of stagecraft, sound, lights, costumes, props, projections, and videography (including light boards, sound boards, and Q lab);
· Eager to learn new programs, equipment, or systems to improve the operations of the theatre;
· Demonstrated ability in Budget Management;
· Excellent time management, and ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously;
· Proficiency of MS Office Suite software;
· Valid driver’s license;
· Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.;
· Possession of or willingness to get CPR/First Aid certification (up to date and re-issued);
· Clearance to work with minor children via Federal and State Background Check;
· Demonstrated knowledge of OSHA and safety regulations a plus;
· Familiarity with AEA, USA, and SDC contracts and regulations a plus; and
· Previous Stage Management experience preferred.
This is a full-time salaried position with full benefits.
Highlights of our benefits include:
· 100% Individual Health Care Premium
· 100% Individual Dental & Vision
· 403 b Match
· Unlimited Leave
Please submit by any means that you would like (letter, video, video letter, resume, portfolio, etc.) that best represents you and your work. Include and highlight any skills or experiences you think would be most crucial to this position. Feel free to mail, email, or drop off your submission.
In the spirit of aligning with our EDI goals and to ensure that we are considering all candidates fairly, Adventure Theatre commits to review all applications in consultation with a diverse team of staff and board members.
Email: Chil Kong, CKong@adventuretheatre-mtc.org,
Mail or Drop Off: ATMTC Academy, 837D Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
ATMTC is an EOE.
To apply for this job email your details to Eodom@adventuretheatre-mtc.org