Website Arden Theatre Company
Professional regional theatre company in Philadelphia, PA.
Facilities and Office Manager
Arden Theatre Company, Philadelphia, PA | www.ardentheatre.org
Position Title: Facilities and Office Manager
Department: General Management Department
Classification: Full-time Exempt / 40 hour week
Reports to: General Manager
About the Arden
Founded in 1988, Arden Theatre Company is a professional regional theatre offering the highest quality theatrical productions and educational programs to the artists, audiences, and students of Greater Philadelphia. Each year, we produce the Mainstage season and Arden Children’s Theatre, the city’s first resident children’s theatre. From our productions that reach over 100,000 audience members each year to our educational outreach programs that inspire and empower 6,000 students in schools across our region, the Arden stands out as a haven for shared stories and a vital incubator to create new work.
The Arden has been an important force behind the vitality of the Old City neighborhood and in the Philadelphia cultural landscape. In our last complete season, 2018 / 2019, the Arden produced seven Mainstage and two Arden Children’s Theatre productions, resulting in 503 performances seen by more than 107,000 people.
Arden Theatre Company is dedicated to bringing to life great stories by great storytellers on the stage, in the classroom, and in the community.
Great stories on the stage: We produce a wide range of stories in a variety of styles: classic and contemporary, intimate and epic, fiction and nonfiction, musical and dramatic. Producing the great playwrights allows us to measure ourselves against the masters of our craft while sharing the voices of new writers gives us the opportunity to shape the future of American theatre. We embrace stories for audiences of all ages and bring the same artistic quality to all our work.
Great stories in the classroom: Kids are celebrated at the Arden. We nurture curiosity, creativity, and confidence through our educational programming. We foster connections between theatre and reading and promote literacy for our young audiences. We reach thousands of students each year, introducing many of our region’s kids to theatre for the first time.
Great stories in the community: We believe in the power of stories to bring people together. We work to build a vital community of artists who excel creatively through shared experiences and with whom our audiences identify. The Arden strives to be Philadelphia’s hometown theatre; we seek community partnerships and collaborations, make our work affordable and accessible, and train the next generation of theatre leaders, contributing to the region’s cultural landscape.
The Arden Theatre Company’s Facilities and Office Manager position is a full-time professional position responsible for the use, maintenance, and management of all Arden’s facility systems and support of crucial administrative operations. The preferred candidate will have a flexible work schedule, including early mornings late evenings and weekends. The position will oversee and maintain the HVAC, plumbing, electrical, structural, security, and other facility systems at all three of Arden’s properties.
The Facilities and Office Manager will also manage the company’s information technology systems, janitorial services, facility scheduling, and office and facility supplies. The Facilities and Office Manager will support the General Manager and other company departments by fulfilling company management duties, assisting with rentals and events, and participating in safety and emergency planning as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Manage Arden Facility Systems
• Oversee operation and maintenance of all facility systems for Arden’s three properties, including HVAC, plumbing, electrical, structural, security, and other facility systems
• Develop and implement daily and ongoing maintenance schedules and procedures for all facility systems
• Manage facility supply ordering and assist in Front of House supply orders as needed
• Manage HVAC systems, including programming occupancy schedules
• Manage and schedule janitorial and waste management services
• Manage facility security, including alarms, keys, and related systems
• Providing training, information, and support on facility systems to Arden staff as needed
• Perform or supervise Daily Building Check
• Track facilities and departmental budgets and expenses
Manage Arden Facility Vendors
• Manage existing facility-vendor relationships.
• Initiate, develop, and maintain new vendor relationships
• Maintain and negotiate vendor contracts
• Plan, schedule, and manage vendor job assignments, completion, records, and financial accountability
Support Arden Administrative Operations
• Manage company IT systems, including working with IT vendors and providing support to Arden employees
• Manage office and administrative supply ordering
• Manage Facility and Company Scheduling in cooperation with General Manager
• Distribute daily schedules and announcements
Support General Manager and other Arden Departments as needed
• Company Management duties as assigned
• Assist with rentals and events as necessary
• Participate in safety and emergency procedure planning for each production/event as needed
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills
• Ability to initiate, build trust and maintain positive relationships, internally and externally
• Ability to work with minimum supervision
• Results orientation
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Outstanding organizational skills
Successful candidates will:
• Have demonstrable experience in facilities management and maintenance.
• Be a successful collaborator with an ability to engage with a wide range of people.
• Have a broad-based knowledge of common facilities practices, equipment, and suppliers.
• Have budget management experience and the ability to create and monitor budgets and expenses.
• Have strong communication skills.
• Have creative judgment, excellent problem-solving skills, and be detail-oriented.
• Have working knowledge of and willingness to promote current health and safety practices in the theater industry.
• Be willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theatre, which includes a variety of hours including evenings and weekends.
• Be someone with initiative, creativity, and a collaborative spirit. Must have the ability to work within a fast-paced, dedicated management team—rolling up your sleeves must be a favored tactic.
• Express a passion for theatre and the Philadelphia cultural community with a genuine interest in becoming a driver of Arden’s mission and vision.
• Must be able to lift and carry or otherwise move 50 pounds regularly/occasionally.
• Must be able to ascend and descend stairs regularly.
• Must be able to work while standing or sitting at a desk for extended periods.
• Must be able to ascend and descend ladders and work at height occasionally.
• Must be able to use and manipulate keys, hand tools, and other equipment.
This job description is not intended to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Compensation for this position is $42,000 -$47,000/year
• Arden Theatre Company provides Medical and Disability Insurance, Flexible Savings Plan, 403(b) Defined Contribution Plan, and paid vacation, personal, and holiday leave.
• The position is full-time/exempt.
• Anticipated start date: July/August, 2023
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com
Application Closing Date: June 16, 2023.
Arden Theatre Company has instituted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for all employees; the successful candidate must provide proof of vaccination prior to beginning work and must agree to adhere to all Arden Theatre Company’s safety protocols.
Arden Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect. Equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Applicants from historically underrepresented groups in the theatre industry are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org