Attack Theatre seeks an experienced dance education professional and arts manager to lead thriving creative learning programs in schools, community spaces and the newly constructed Creative Learning Lab. The Arts Education Director is responsible for nurturing and maintaining the existing programs, while developing new revenue opportunities and forging new partnerships. Within the company, this role will serve as key collaborator in the organizational and programmatic vision, administration and lead the growth of the creative learning programs and initiatives. Externally, the Arts Education Director will communicate the arts education programmatic offerings, vision and values to current and prospective participants, teaching artists, educational and community partners, funders and the greater Attack Theatre family.
The Arts Education Director must be skilled at managing diverse projects and programs simultaneously, and passionate about learning new skills and considering new perspectives within a small, but prolific arts organization. While a significant part of the position is working directly with teaching artists, the Arts Education Director will work closely with the Artistic Directors, Finance and Business Manager, Marketing and Communication Manager, Development Associate, and Company Dancers.
Attack Theatre is a Pittsburgh-based dance company that creates work at the intersection of art and community, resulting in programs that are personal, authentic, welcoming, and fearless. Under the artistic direction of Co-Founders and Co-Artistic Directors Peter Kope and Michele de la Reza, the company maintains a commitment to remain curious in our investigation of new ideas and productions; to collaborate through deliberate, interdisciplinary partnerships; and to connect with local and global communities providing accessible, creative learning opportunities. Attack Theatre’s new home in the heart of Lawrenceville offers performances, classes, and community events; and strives to be an inclusive epicenter of dance, learning, and community partnerships. Rooted in reflection, investigation, and imagination, Attack Theatre conducts hundreds of arts education programs in school and community settings each year; supporting creative learning and wellness for participants of all ages.
Attack Theatre Values
– Cultural Responsibility: We commit to becoming a community of learners through equitable practices that celebrate and support the creative in all of us, regardless of who they are, or how they identify. We start by challenging our perspectives and expanding our artistic boundaries through empathy, and the opening of our doors, hearts, and minds to understand how every lived experience contributes to the artful expression of life through dance.
– Collaboration + Expression: At the heart of our creative process, we forge creative partnerships with artists, audiences, and communities to cultivate a spirit of inquiry and experimentation as an integral part of our artistic vision.
– Learning: We nurture the next generation(s) of artists, thinkers, and leaders through creative learning programs rooted in reflection, curiosity, and imagination.
What You’ll Be Doing:
Program Creation and Implementation
• Manage the implementation of classes, workshops, and residencies in Attack Theatre’s year-round arts education programs in K-12 schools, universities, and in community settings
• Conduct classes, workshops, and residencies for Attack Theatre’s arts education programs (as needed)
• Manage and support the creation and development of lesson plans and communications with teachers and administrators to support teaching artists and fulfill the arts education activities
• Recruit, train, and maintain a robust roster of Teaching Artists
• Develop and manage Summer and Winter intensives for dancers, educators and youth
• Build and maintain community and arts programming in the newly constructed Creative Learning Lab
Partnerships and Business Development
• Grow and maintain arts education programming through proactively cultivating and securing new arts education partners and pursuing business development opportunities
• Assist the Artistic Executive Director and Finance Manager to establish annual earned income goals
• Develop and nurture authentic relationships with diverse partners to expand opportunities for organizational and programmatic collaboration and new idea generation
Arts Education Administration
• Maintain program tracking systems
• Create, implement, and update assessment tools for student and educator focused education programs
• Assist with arts education grant research, articulation and reporting (including providing content for narratives and collecting program data)
• Develop program budgets and reports for projects, residency programs, community classes, new programs etc; and monitor budgets throughout the year
• Ensure programs provide opportunities for participants of all abilities (including Closed Captioning, Audio Description, ASL Interpreters, Adaptive Dance Series etc.)
• Work with Education Assistants, and interns to maintain and archive teaching and educational materials and residency documentation
• Maintain Education Supply Inventory (speakers, markers, books etc.)
• In conjunction with the Marketing and Engagement Manager, develop and strengthen brand recognition of Attack Theatre’s arts educations programs through residency documentation, program evaluation, and communications with teachers and administrators
• Maintain tracking of all education clearances for staff and teaching artists
• Collaborate with the Creative Programs Manager to coordinate logistics and reporting for interconnected creative learning and production programs
● Motivated by transforming ideas into action
● Collaborative within your work environment and welcome a human-centered design approach to ideation and implementation
● Tremendously organized and detail oriented
● Comfortable working with content management systems
● Flexible, curious, and have desire to learn and share learnings in a collaborative environment
● Committed to supporting organizational sustainability and fiscal responsibility
● Able to thrive within a fast-paced setting working on diverse projects simultaneously
● Able to work collaboratively with a multitude of personalities and identities
● Willing to find new pathways for bringing movement to communities as an empowering path towards wellness
● Passion for dance education and Attack Theatre’s mission
● A minimum of 3 – 5 years as a dance education professional (e.g. teaching artist, classroom instructor, arts education manager)
● Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to adapt to multiple educational and community environments,
● Deep knowledge of education theories and practices, and committed to continued professional learning
● Demonstrated a personal leadership practice that guides and support others through empathy and compassion
What we offer:
● Salary of $40,000 – $42,000 annually
● Unlimited PTO
● Health, dental, and vision insurance (dental and vision 100% company paid)
● 401K retirement plan with company match
● Free classes and studio space (when available)
● Hybrid work-from-home/in-office model possible, with a significant portion of the job requiring on-site activities in the various educational sites
● Professional but relaxed office atmosphere, no corporate dress code, and pet-friendly
To safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our audiences, students, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations, Attack Theatre is requiring all employees to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and successful applicants must be able to provide proof of vaccination before hire.
Additional Requirements: Given the nature of school schedules, applicant must have the ability to adjust work hours as needed. Position may include early mornings and some weekend and weeknights on an as-needed basis. This position requires traveling frequently to neighboring communities and counties and applicant must have reliable transportation and valid driver’s license. Must pass all required PA background checks and clearances (Act 33/34, PA Criminal Records Check and Federal Criminal Background Check).
Attack Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and offstage. We encourage applicants with a unique cultural perspective inclusive of race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, class, physical ability, and sexual orientation. Offices, studio and classroom spaces are ADA compliant.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.paylocity.com.