Austin Opera is seeking a dynamic Director of Audience Experience to join its senior management team as the organization embarks on a period of strategic growth and innovation. The Director of Audience Experience will ensure excellence in the consumer experience from the point of purchase through the time a patron arrives home after a performance.
Reporting to the General Director & CEO, the Director of Audience Experience will partner with the Director of Marketing & Communications, the Chief Development Officer, and the Director of Education to ensure a seamless experience for patrons at performances and events. S/he will represent the voice of the audience in strategic planning discussions and conduct research and analysis to measure the company’s effectiveness over time.
The Director of Audience Experience will partner with Four Seasons Hotel Austin to ensure that best practices in guest hospitality are applied to each aspect of the consumer experience at Austin Opera. S/he will work with Four Seasons Hotel Austin in developing and implementing qualitative and quantitative evaluations of the company’s performance in each area. Key measures of success will include audience retention figures, increased frequency in patron engagement, and net promoter scores.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Partner with the Director of Marketing to ensure seamless and efficient sales systems online, by phone, and at the box office
• Work with a team from Four Seasons Hotel Austin to test each sales method throughout the season
• Provide front-line assistance and sales to patrons when needed
Venue Logistics & Hospitality
• Partner with the Long Center leadership, ushers, and hospitality staff to ensure excellence in customer service at each performance
• Partner with the Director of Artistic Operations to ensure that the audience experience is placed at the forefront of new programming initiatives and venue explorations
• Launch partnerships with other hospitality providers, restaurants, garages, and other entities that impact patrons’ overall performance experience
• Create and distribute pre-show communications to all ticket-holders to ensure personalized information is distributed to facilitate a seamless, customizable experience for all patrons
• Serve as a concierge presence at all company performances
• Serve as an advocate with government entities that oversee the use and maintenance of city-owned performance venues
• Serve as an advocate for the audience in management team discussions and planning
• Conduct qualitative, quantitative, and longitudinal research of current audiences to document which aspects of their opera experience most impact enjoyment and retention
• Ensure a practice of audience research that allows the institution to measure its progress in the above areas over time
• Remain current on industry research and audience trends
• Serve as project manager for the creation of the performance program for each production, using research to inform content
• Partner with members of the senior team to create other ancillary materials, presentations, online content, and programming that will increase audience enjoyment of the company’s artistic programming, as informed by audience research
• Partner with the same colleagues in the development of innovative new programs aimed at increasing audience retention figures
• Serve as a senior company representative at community events and donor events
• Participate in weekly senior team meetings and planning meetings
• Other duties as assigned
• Minimum of five years’ experience in the performing arts, preferably in the areas of marketing, development, or customer service
• Knowledge of and enthusiasm for opera
• Excellent writing skills
• Experience with audience and/or consumer research a plus
• Experience forming successful collaborations with other institutions a plus
• Appreciation for and knowledge of customer service and hospitality best practices
• A keen ability to collaborate with staff, professional colleagues, community partners, and patrons
• Excellent analytical skill to create, read, and analyze multiple sources of data to determine action; passionate about data and understand the importance of data-driven decisions
• Tenacity in working to implement change within external entities
• Polished presentation and interpersonal skills necessary
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Cover Letter
• Salary Requirements
• Writing Sample
No calls please. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified in August. Austin Opera is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Austin Opera
About Austin Opera
Founded in 1986 as the city’s first professional opera company, Austin Opera employs hundreds of local and international artists each year to produce operatic productions designed to inspire, entertain, and instigate discussion among Austin audiences. Last year, more than 15,000 individuals attended one of Austin Opera’s three productions. Under the leadership of General Director & CEO Annie Burridge, the company is building a reputation for producing high quality opera across a wide range of repertoire that celebrates Austin’s diversity and contributes to its thriving arts and culture. The company recently received the OPERA America Innovation Grant as well as the National Endowment for the Arts 2018 Art Works grant.
The company’s education programs are built around the core productions and are administered with artistic integrity as well as social and economic diversity and inclusion. More than 11,000 Central Texans participated in educational offerings last year. Austin Opera’s educational offerings include free student programs for grades K-4 and 5-12, as well as community programs for ticket holders and Central Texans who are interested in the performing arts and opera. The Austin Opera Guild assists with the expert planning and execution of many of these educational programs. The opera’s other affinity groups, La Noche de Opera and UrbanNites, offer educational forums as part of the memberships.
The upcoming 2018–2019 season will feature a festive staged concert performance of Otello and fully-staged productions of Silent Night and La bohème. The inaugural production of the new Opera ATX artistic initiative is Soldier Songs. To learn more about Austin Opera, visit www.austinopera.org or follow along on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter at @austinopera.