Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.
Website Beaverton Arts Foundation - Patricia Reser Center for the Arts
Beaverton Arts Foundation – Patricia Reser Center for the Arts
Director of Marketing and Patron Services
FSLA Status: Exempt, Full-time with benefits; occasional nights and weekends required.
Date of Posting: May 24, 2021
The Patricia Reser Center for the Arts (“The Reser”) is a professional arts center currently under construction in downtown Beaverton, Oregon. Construction began in November, 2019, and the Center is scheduled to open to the public in early 2022. Immediately adjacent to City Hall, the facility will comprise a 550-seat Mainstage Theater, an art gallery, and meeting & rehearsal rooms. The Reser will present national touring artists, local and regional performing arts organizations, visual arts exhibitions, arts education programs, and will serve as a social and cultural hub for Beaverton and its surrounding communities. For more information please visit www.centerfortheartscampaign.org
The nonprofit Beaverton Arts Foundation (BAF) is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of accomplished, respected, and dedicated community volunteers. In a successful public/private partnership with the City of Beaverton, they have given birth to The Reser, which is managed and led by Executive Director and CEO, Chris Ayzoukian.
Although BAF dates from 1999, The Reser itself is a relatively new organization and, by its nature, will pass though several distinct phases before it achieves a mature, operating state. Its current developmental phase is focused on near-term projects: the completion of construction, installation of theatrical systems, selection and implementation of ticketing/CRM and facility management systems, staff development and training, inaugural planning & programming, and the creation of the policies and practices that will guide its future. This pre-opening phase will be accompanied by changes in the size and structure of the staff, the focus of job responsibilities, and the skills required for success. Adaptability and a personal commitment to the mission of The Reser are vital qualities for any employee in this environment. The scope of responsibilities of the Director of Marketing and Patron Services will evolve to meet the needs of The Reser as it progresses through various phases toward opening and taking its place as an active arts center and a vital resource in the community. We anticipate that we will be able to move into the completed facility in mid-November 2021.
It should also be noted that this position is being filled at an extraordinary moment, during which, because of the Coronavirus pandemic, it has been necessary to work remotely for more than a year. That restraint may persist for a few more months. Candidates should evaluate their personal capacity for being responsive and productive while working independently. The successful candidate will be confident both in their ability to fulfill the job responsibilities remotely for as long as necessary, and to transition into working in a fast-paced, start-up, team environment once it is safe to do so.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Reser is seeking an energetic, skilled, and experienced marketing professional to join our growing team prior to opening. This position offers the right person a rare opportunity to play a key role in the launch of a new arts organization, to help shape its identity and build a team that will be the public face of The Reser for years to come. The Director of Marketing and Patron Services will be a member of the senior leadership team and play a central role in the financial success and community support of the organization. They will promote The Reser’s identity and image in the community; develop and execute marketing and communications strategies to achieve the organization’s revenue goals; build and expand our audience; and manage the patron experience to ensure that The Reser is welcoming to all. The successful candidate will be an empathetic leader, a generous collaborator, and will come bearing a vision for how to spark public awareness of the organization and connect with the community it serves. The Marketing Director will play a critical role in actualizing The Reser’s commitment to the principles of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.
The Director of Marketing reports directly to the Executive Director, and leads a team of marketing and event services professionals, including the Digital Marketing Manager, Box Office Manager, and Front of House Manager. The Director will also work closely with other departments, including Programming, Development, and Event Sales.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Director of Marketing and Patron Services will be responsible for conceiving and implementing all strategic
plans related to growing and sustaining audience engagement with The Reser, creating a customer-focused culture of welcome and respect, and achieving earned income goals.
The focus of the Director’s responsibilities will begin with a pre-opening phase focused largely on the implementation of systems, hiring of staff, institutional marketing, planning for Grand Opening and the inaugural season, and development of The Reser’s marketing and communications channels, including its web presence.
• Develop a strategic marketing plan for the inaugural year that will establish The Reser as a vibrant, new arts center, prepare for the public opening, promote Grand Opening events, and announce the initial performances and exhibitions.
• Oversee and execute all public relations and institutional marketing efforts celebrating the completion of The Reser to ensure maximum regional coverage; act as a press spokesperson; coordinate publicity events for the Executive Director and Trustees.
• Oversee the creation of effective sales and promotional materials to market facility rentals.
• Write press releases, articles, and compelling copy for the website that will introduce The Reser to the and set the stage for the public opening in 2022.
• Participate in the selection and manage the implementation of the Ticketing and CRM system, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Director of Development.
• Recruit and hire staff, including the Front-of-House Manager, Box Office Manager, and Digital Marketing Manager.
• Work with Executive Director and outside agency on implementation of a website that is both a platform for communicating The Reser’s programs, messages, and values, and an effective engine for sales and rental bookings.
• Collaborate with the Director of Finance and staff to establish protocols and financial reporting structures for all transactions that will arise from patron services operations.
• Collaborate with the Director of Development to design a membership program for implementation in Spring 2022.
Commensurate with the public opening of the facility and the achievement of the objectives listed above, The Director of Marketing and Patron Services will continue to focus on the following:
• Work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to plan and implement strategies that will drive attendance for performances including The Reser Presents series, fundraising events, facility rentals, gallery exhibitions, and educational programs.
• Create, implement, and measure the success of marketing, institutional messaging, audience development, and public relations initiatives, with emphasis on:
– The development and execution of subscription and single ticket sales campaigns
– The development of audience engagement programs that will grow attendance and deepen relationships with members and subscribers.
– Ensure that systems are in place to produce accurate and timely marketing data and help guide programming and development planning.
• Oversee the design and production of all public-facing materials, including season brochures, program books, web graphics and stories, gallery materials, rental sales materials, and social media campaigns.
• Develop and execute strategies for inclusion-based messaging, programs, and front-of-house practices designed to actualize The Reser’s ongoing commitment to EDI principles. Ensure staff observance of anti—bias, anti-racist standards of behavior through training and oversight.
• Develop, manage, and maintain relevant budgets and work with outside vendors to maximize the value of the investment in their services.
• Develop external marketing partnerships with organizations, businesses, brands and agencies; collaborate with the Development Director to create sponsorship opportunities and revenue; act as liaison with artist representatives to acquire marketing materials.
• Participate in season planning of The Reser Presents series, providing the perspective of both audience data and anecdotal observations.
• Manage, mentor, and motivate an energetic and welcoming audience engagement team.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED
• A combination of education and professional experience that convincingly demonstrate the candidate’s skills and ability to perform at a professional level.
• A minimum of seven years of professional marketing experience in the arts, of which at least five must have been in the marketing of performances; a minimum of three years as a director or senior manager of performing arts marketing, preferably in a non-profit organization.
• Demonstrable success in the creation of both single ticket and subscription marketing strategies.
• A high-functioning, dynamic, and creative leader with the poise to stand in the spotlight when needed, and the humility to work in the background when necessary. An unselfish team leader dedicated to the empowerment and success of colleagues. A builder of strong relationships.
• Outstanding interpersonal, presentation, writing, and communication skills; the ability to articulate ideas clearly, orally and in writing.
• Experience in the practical implementation of EDI initiatives and the commitment to incorporating inclusion, anti-racism, and accessibility in messaging and the patron experience.
• The energy and ability to balance the concurrent tasks necessary to the start-up phase of a new arts center; the ability to complete projects on time; the expertise to get it right the first time.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Knowledge of design and production processes sufficient to oversee print and digital creative development
• Familiarity with the performing arts and artists from a variety of cultures and genres, and with the language and images that are most effective in promoting them
• The ability to create a compelling narrative that tells the story of an individual artist, an arts education program, or an entire organization.
• Working knowledge of an integrated ticketing/CRM system.
• A talent for diplomacy; the ability to handle difficult interactions; a relentless commitment to customer service that is rooted in respect for every individual.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT – ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
Most of the principal responsibilities of this position are performed in a traditional office setting and do not typically involve equipment that poses a threat of injury. The successful completion of duties relies on the following physical abilities: Sufficient (corrected or uncorrected) vision to read text of various sizes and perceive colors and shapes accurately. Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate effectively in person and on a telephone, to hear sounds within the normal range of conversation and hear music clearly. Sufficient manual dexterity to operate office equipment. Sufficient personal mobility, strength, and reflexes to perform light work and to reach, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and lift 10 – 20 pounds. Must also be able to stand for extended periods of time without assistance.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
An annual salary of $70,000-75,000 commensurate with experience. Benefits that include medical insurance, Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, and matching 403(b) retirement plan contributions.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a resume, accompanied by a cover letter describing why this position is of interest and the personal and professional experience that has prepared them to be successful. All applications will be held in confidence. Initial review of applications will begin on or about June 2, 2021 and will continue until a pool of highly-qualified finalists has been identified. Applicants should submit materials as soon as possible. Applications received after June 2, 2021 may not be eligible for consideration.
All applications and/or inquiries should be sent via email only to:
Chris Ayzoukian, Executive Director
MS Word or PDF attachments only, please
Subject Line: DIRECTOR OF MARKETING application
No phone calls please.
File names of all resumes and attachments should include applicant’s last name
The Patricia Reser Center for the Arts is an equal opportunity, at-will employer, dedicated to the goal of creating a diverse and inclusive working environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, persons of color, and LGBTQ individuals. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.