Website Boston Gay Men's Chorus
Creating musical experiences to inspire change, build community,
The Boston Gay Men’s Chorus (BGMC) is seeking its next Executive Director (ED). Working in partnership with the Music Director and reporting to the Board of Directors, the ED is responsible for the overall direction and management of all aspects of the administration of the organization.
The BGMC values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive (DEI) world and is committed to hiring individuals who share, and are committed to, these values. The ED will advance BGMC’s DEI values internally and externally and will have an exciting opportunity to help the organization develop its next strategic plan, working closely with the BGMC’s Board, artistic team, and membership to implement its strategic priorities. The BGMC’s next ED will also have significant input in designing the overall structure of the organization’s administrative support.
Mission and History
The BGMC is one of New England’s largest and most successful community-based choruses. Its mission is to create musical experiences to inspire change, build community, and celebrate difference. Founded in 1982, the 250-voice ensemble is celebrated for its outstanding musicianship, creative programming, and groundbreaking community outreach. The BGMC sings a wide spectrum of classical and popular music and creates social change by providing a positive, affirming image of the LGBTQIA+ community.
The Chorus is heard live by more than 10,000 people each season and thousands more through recording, television, and internet broadcasts. CBS-WBZ named the Boston Gay Men’s Chorus one of the “top 5” choruses in the city of Boston. The Boston Business Journal has named BGMC one of the top 10 performing arts organizations in the city each year since 2018. The BGMC is also a Cultural Ambassador—being the one of the first LGBTQIA+ choruses to perform in Poland (in 2005), in the Middle East (in 2015), and in South Africa (in 2018).
This is an exciting time for the BGMC. After an over 30-month pandemic-forced hiatus from performing, the Chorus is back live! The BGMC’s first performance, in June 2022, was the world-premiere of Disney PRIDE in Concert—the first ever collaboration with Disney Concerts, the concert production and licensing division of Disney Music Group, featuring all-new musical arrangements of beloved Disney classics.
Candidate Profile and Role of the Executive Director
The BGMC is seeking a creative and forward-thinking leader committed to the mission of creating musical experiences to inspire change, build community, and celebrate difference. The ideal candidate is committed to valuing diverse cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives and incorporating equity and anti-oppression into their work. The ED will champion participatory and inclusive planning, decision making, and human centered leadership.
In addition, the ED will:
– Oversee all aspects of the operation of the organization
– Work in concert with the board, artistic team, and membership to develop the organization’s strategic plan and implement strategic priorities
– Define and execute a comprehensive and innovative development and fundraising strategy
– Oversee the creation and execution of a marketing strategy designed to enhance the BGMC brand, grow the organization’s reputation and reach across the region, and increase audience engagement
– Maintain strong fiscal management and oversight of the organization
– Lead the retention, development, and growth of a strong administrative team
– Strengthen relationships in the larger Arts, LGBTQIA+, and non-profit communities through the development of partnerships, outreach, education programs, and national and/or international tours
– Advise and support the artistic team with the production of all programs
– Ensure an inclusive and welcoming experience for the BGMC’s primary constituency – the Members
– Implement strategies and initiatives that further equity, access, and inclusion for a broad diversity of stakeholders
– Develop a strong relationship with the Board of Directors, ensure the Board is apprised of activities to enable them to fulfill their fiduciary responsibilities to the organization, and assist with board development and recruitment.
– Proven leadership experience in non-profit management in progressively more senior roles, or the equivalent in the private sector
– Significant development/fundraising experience with a track record of obtaining individual, foundation, and corporate donations
– Excellent knowledge of fiscal management
– Understanding of and commitment to the full diversity and intersectionality of the LGBTQIA+ community
– Experience hiring, managing, and ensuring the success of staff
– Appreciation for the arts; working knowledge of performing arts management a plus
– Solution-oriented leader
– Strategic thinker
– Ability to work collaboratively
– Exemplary communication skills
– Strong networker and relationship-builder
– Strong interpersonal skills
– Warmth, patience, perseverance, humor, integrity, and enthusiasm
The BGMC will consider all relevant and equivalent experience and skills, including those not specifically listed when considering candidates.
The Executive Director position is a full-time hybrid (in-office and remote) role with flexible hours requiring some evening and weekend work. Anticipated start date: September 1, 2023.
Compensation: $110,000–$120,000 commensurate with experience, with a competitive benefits package (including health and dental insurance, generous paid time off, and parking reimbursement).
Applications and Inquiries:
Send cover letter and resume to SearchCommittee@BGMC.org by March 17, 2023.
Diversity is an essential element of the Boston Gay Men’s Chorus experience. BGMC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities underrepresented in the choral field are strongly encouraged to apply.
Important Notes: BGMC requires all staff to be 100% COVID vaccinated. The BGMC office is currently operating in person during COVID.
To apply for this job please visit www.bgmc.org.