Website Dallas Winds
America's Premier Wind Band
The Board of Trustees of The Dallas Winds is seeking to hire a full-time Executive Director for the organization
following the retirement of Kim Campbell, in the Spring of 2024, after almost 40 years of service
as Executive Director of the Dallas Winds. The Board hopes to have a new Executive Director in
place several months before Mr. Campbell’s retirement to assist in the transfer of institutional
knowledge and a smooth transition process.
Responsibilities of the Executive Director include:
• Develop, in consultation with the Artistic Director and Board of Trustees, a Strategic
Plan for the organization that prioritizes the diversity of audiences, programming, staff
and the organization as a whole. Lead the implementation of the Strategic Plan,
establishing milestones and reporting on progress to the Board of Trustees.
• Develop and implement, in consultation with the Board of Trustees, an annual
Development Plan for the organization.
• Provide leadership and direction of fundraising activities to secure funding and grants
for the activities of the Dallas Winds. Ensure adherence to all grant requirements.
• Seek corporate sponsorships and contributions from individuals, foundations and
• Collaborate with the Artistic Director in the development of a multi-year Artistic Plan
and season calendar of live performances.
• Oversee production of concerts, recordings, livestream webcasts and online events.
• Collaborate with the Director of Education and the Board Education Committee to plan
and oversee youth education programs including the Invitational Wind Band Festival,
Dallas ISD 5th Grade Concerts, Dallas Winds Band Camp, Dallas Winds Honor Band and
the Association of Texas Small School Bands All-State Jumpstart video project.
Marketing, External Communications and Engagement:
• Serve as chief ambassador and public spokesperson for the Dallas Winds.
• Develop and implement, in consultation with the Board Marketing Committee, an
annual marketing plan to promote season and single ticket sales and youth education
initiatives and expand institutional reach.
• Develop and maintain relationships with media contacts to generate positive print,
broadcast and online media coverage.
• Cultivate relationships within the nonprofit arts world and stay abreast of emerging
trends in the nonprofit performing arts world.
• Create and manage, in consultation with the Board of Trustees and Board Finance
Committee, an annual operating budget of approximately $1M.
• Work with the bookkeeper to generate financial reports for the Board, staff, funders
and in support of the organization’s annual audit.
• Ensure effective communication with Dallas Winds constituencies including musicians,
conductor, staff, Board members, students and music educators, concert patrons,
volunteers, foundations, corporate sponsors and government funding agencies.
• Provide leadership and supervision of three full-time staff members (Director of
Education, Director of Operations and Executive Assistant). Oversee activities of parttime
staff and volunteers including Marketing Coordinator, Bookkeeper, Technical
Director, Equipment Manager and Music Librarian.
• Manage organization operations including ticketing operations, human resources,
liability insurance, vendor contracts, securing venues and scheduling rehearsals.
• Ensure that all employer responsibilities are met and maintain compliance with federal,
state and local laws. Maintain all records for the organization including tax and legal
records for the organization including annual registrations, contributions, liability
insurance, payroll tax reports, annual tax returns, etc.
• Collaborate with the Chair of the Board of Trustees to create agendas for monthly Board
• Attend all Board meetings and report on the financial and administrative aspects of the
organization. Work with the Board Governance Committee to help identify qualified
candidates for Board membership and provide orientation and onboarding of new
• Serve as ex-officio member of standing committees of the Board, which include the
Finance, Education, Governance and Marketing Committees.
OPPORTUNITIES FOR THE ORGANIZATION:
• Expand the reach of the organization to add new and diverse audience members,
programming and venues.
• Evaluate new partnerships with other nonprofit organizations.
• Expand online programming, livestreams and similar opportunities.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
• Is passionate about bringing joy to people through band music.
• Values the esprit de corps between the musicians and conductor of the Dallas Winds
and proactively nurtures this unique culture.
• Has the ability to lead stakeholders on fulfilling the Vision and Mission of the Dallas
• Will be able to successfully respect the past of this great organization while bringing it
• Has demonstrated the ability to build a strong and positive organizational culture that
promotes the highest standards of ethics and integrity, values individuals and avoids
• Has an arts and business related skill set including effective implementation of a
strategic plan for an arts organization.
• Has hands-on budget management skills including budget preparation, analysis,
decision-making and reporting.
• Has strong fundraising, leadership, written and verbal communication and public
• Will be able to work cooperatively and independently to achieve goals.
• Will be highly organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented, creative, strategic, professional
and able to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
• Is available to work nights and weekends during the rehearsal and concert season.
• Has exceptional interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with artistic
directors, partners, staff, students, volunteers, Board members and donors.
• Bachelor’s degree or significant relevant experience preferred.
• Experience working remotely and leading staff who work remotely.
• Pay: $75,000 – $100,000/year, depending on experience.
• Benefits to be discussed.
The Dallas Winds is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of
actual or perceived race, religion, creed, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender
identity, gender expression, national origin, ancestry, marital status, medical condition,
disability, military and veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions or
any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Please visit our website for more information: www.dallaswinds.org.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com