Website Dancing Grounds
Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director is the steward of Dancing Grounds’ vision and embodies the values and mission of the organization’s staff. The ED holds the big picture of the organization, guiding the execution of Dancing Grounds’ strategic plan in key areas (dance programming, social justice, fundraising, advocacy, finance, communications, and community organizing), and working collaboratively with a team of six staff members who will implement and operationalize programming. The ED’s support system includes a Creative Producer (who manages program staff), Communications/Development Manager, Project/Operations Coordinator and the Board of Directors. Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Organizational Strategy & Culture (20%)
* Design the vision, strategy, and programming of Dancing Grounds alongside DG staff and board; assure that the organization makes consistent and timely progress towards achieving its mission.
* Cultivate a values-centered, non-hierarchical, humanistic culture of care, excellence, and joy internally and externally.
* Build and cultivate positive relationships with key stakeholders – students, parents, artists, partners, funders, donors, presenters, audience members, government officials, and cultural institutions.
* Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the dance, arts and culture, education, and advocacy fields.
* Shape DG’s artistic approach, with a grounding in community and youth voice. Maintain and cultivate relationships to the dance community locally, nationally, and in the arts and social justice organizing communities.
Fundraising & Resource Development (20%)
* Develop and execute an ambitious resource development plan that includes diverse funding sources (individuals, foundations, corporations, government, and earned income) and uses (program, operating, unrestricted).
* Establish, develop, cultivate, and steward strong relationships with donors, sponsors, and key influencers in funding institutions.
* Lead staff, board, and consultants in fundraising activities including: annual fund, grant-writing, special events, planned giving, and project funding.
Staff Management (20%)
* Directly supervise three staff positions: Creative Producer, Communications/Development Manager, and Project Coordinator.
* Determine organization-wide staffing plans and oversee the recruitment, employment, and release of all personnel, both paid staff and volunteers, in partnership with Creative Producer.
* Provide general oversight, mentorship, and direction for Dancing Grounds staff, consultants, and interns. Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held by managers, and that sound, values-centered human resource practices are in place.
* Maintain a climate that attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top-quality and values-aligned people, with a focus on continuously improving staff salaries, benefits, and wellness, and professional development opportunities.
Board of Directors (10%)
* Cultivate and maintain a productive and joyful relationship with Board Co-Chairs and all members of the board.
* Work with the board to guide short- and mid-term organizational objectives identified in the strategic plan, along with completing key governance and fiscal oversight duties.
* Help identify new board members that are invested in DG’s mission and can provide support in specified priority areas for the ED’s personal growth and organizational goals.
General Operations (10%)
* Work with staff and Board of Directors in developing and maintaining the organizational structure and technical or consultancy teams capable of meeting DG’s needs.
* Concentrate on strengthening the administrative infrastructure of the organization, including programming, finances, facility , database management, and logistics planning.
* Monitor and maintain compliance with federal, state and other legal or regulatory bodies as necessary; secure all forms of insurance for the organization.
Fiscal Management (10%)
* Develop and maintain sound financial practices in collaboration with accountants and treasurer, including preparing budgets and ensuring that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to execute its work.
* Analyze complex financial data and extract/define relevant information from past financial performance to project future financial plans.
* Work with accountant/ fiscal administrator to ensure timely and accurate bookkeeping, accounts payable/receivable activities, tax preparation, and financial reporting.
* Supervise communications team in the development of institutional and programmatic marketing to attract new community members, enhance DG’s visibility and reputation, and achieve earned income, fundraising and programmatic goals.
* Represent programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
* Jointly, with the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
External Partnerships & Advocacy (5%)
* Develop and maintain positive working relationships with key members of the dance community and St. Claude neighborhood, and establish cooperative arrangements with partners, community groups, and organizations.
* Attend youth, arts, and social justice focused coalition meetings and conferences.
* Speak on behalf of DG at conferences and other engagement.
Executive Director Qualifications
While we understand that not one person may have all the skills and experience listed below, we are looking for those who are eager to learn and continue to grow professionally.
Our Ideal Candidate is…
* A visionary, creative spirit who embodies the values of Dancing Grounds with integrity and transparency and has deep passion for the work of the organization.
* A bold fundraiser with familiarity with grant processes and a strong skill set for funder relationship development
* A people person who can build positive, authentic relationships with people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
* A strategic, organizational thinker who can see the big picture of the work, clearly articulate goals, and envision staffing and resourcing plans to operationalize it.
* An experienced manager who enjoys developing and supporting people.
* A clear communicator with strong written and verbal skills for a variety of audiences.
* A highly organized self-starter who can successfully balance the organization’s programmatic, artistic and fiscal objectives with administrative efficiency.
* A technologically fluent professional who can utilize a variety of platforms to manage organization-wide activities.
* A self-reflective learner committed to personal development.
* A New Orleans native or resident, or someone with connections to and history with our city.
Our Ideal Candidate has several years of professional experience as a…
* Practitioner in the fields of dance, arts education, and social and racial justice
* Manager, including supervising direct reports
* Financial Steward, including fundraising, budget preparation, management, analysis, and decision-making
* Community Leader in the arts, youth development, or community organizing
Other preferred skills and experiences include…
* Established network within the local and national nonprofit funding community, with demonstrable success in cultivating and maintaining relationships with foundations, corporations, government agencies, and individuals.
* Experience with board recruitment and management.
* Born and raised in New Orleans
* Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in dance, non-profit management, business, or similar field preferred.
People that will thrive as part of our staff team have the following qualities…
* An entrepreneurial mindset with excitement for learning and openness to change.
* A self-starter with the confidence to take a project and run with it.
* A self-reflective and self-aware person who proactively advocates for their needs.
* A solution-oriented team player who promotes and practices a growth mindset.
* A humanistic, kind person who can work well with diverse groups of people.
* A natural multi-tasker that enjoys having variety in their job.
* A highly organized, self-managing person that strives for efficiency and effectiveness while valuing process and relationships.
Dancing Grounds is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and other people of color, LGBTQIA+ identifying people, and people born and raised in New Orleans to apply.
All full-time employees are required to be vaccinated for Covid-19.
How to Apply: Submit your application via the form (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc_IavetWHPtvUaND7zJ0fnC0ngjVm8RhbE2R7R-64HjFD3Mg/viewform) by October 17, 2022.The application requires a resume, cover letter, 1-2 work samples, and several short response questions. Unlock Creative: Coaching & ManagementSolutions LLC is conducting this search. If you have any questions, please email Ashley Walden Davis at email@example.com. Label the email “Dancing Grounds search questions”. All applications and expressed interest in this position will remain confidential.
To apply for this job please visit docs.google.com.