The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra (SDSO) seeks a talented and enthusiastic Director of Development. The Director of Development is a full-time position, serving as an integral part of the team and working directly with staff, board of directors, and patrons to lead the symphony’s fundraising efforts. The position oversees contributed revenue development; plans and implements the fundraising strategy; oversees donor database management; and executes fundraising events.
The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra is based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, a vibrant and growing community serving a 125-mile region that touches 5 states. The SDSO’s music director is Delta David Gier who has guided the orchestra to new musical heights. Over the past several years, the orchestra has seen significant growth in its musical prowess and the scope of products and services. Known for innovative programming, state-wide outreach, deep community engagement activity, and a commitment to inclusivity, the SDSO has a strong heritage upon which to build an even stronger future. The SDSO is the region’s premier arts organization with the Washington Pavilion as its home.
Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Works with: SDSO staff, Board of Directors, Advisory Board, SDSO League
Manages: Development Assistant
- Develop and implement fundraising strategies with executive leadership, board of directors, and development consultant.
- Lead development efforts to meet fundraising goals.
- Cultivate current donors and prospect new individual, business, foundation, and grant support.
- Develop fundraising proposals and meet with donors to secure funding.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with donors.
- Create and manage donor benefits packages.
- Assist in scheduling donor meetings and oversee Development calendar.
- Ensure accurate financial reporting of contributions.
- Oversee the preparation and submission of grant proposals for funds from private, family, community, and corporate foundations, as well as from corporations, and government agencies.
- Manage the implementation of Raiser’s Edge and oversee staff responsible for data entry, gift processing, and timely collection of accounts receivable.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and the Board to develop and implement special fundraising campaigns.
- Manage Executive Director’s donor priority list.
- Execute Development related policies of the organization.
- Manage the Development Assistant.
- Act as primary point of contact with the board for fundraising and events.
- Serve as liaison to Annual Fund Committee, Gala Committee, Advisory Board, SDSO League
- Support Nominating Committee meeting and other board committees as needed.
- Create and manage development budget and track department expenses.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of SDSO programs and engagements.
- Support, nurture, and guide the work of the SDSO League and Advisory Board.
- Oversee the annual South Dakota Symphony Gala and other Symphony fundraising events.
- Organize and execute additional stewardship and prospecting events throughout the season.
- Provide front of house support and assist with concert production as needed.
The South Dakota Symphony Orchestra seeks a proactive self‐starter with the ability to work independently as well as be a positive member of the SDSO team. The SDSO Director of Development is a fast learner who is resourceful, flexible, and comfortable embracing change. He/she has a results and team‐oriented work style characterized by an imaginative approach to problem solving and the ability to handle creative writing as well as administrative tasks. He/she works efficiently in a fast‐paced environment, prioritizes tasks effectively, executes projects to the highest level possible and possesses the unique ability to convey excitement about classical music and its value to a community.
Minimum requirement include:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimally three years of development experience. A background with arts organizations is a plus.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and Power Point. Experience in database management (Raiser’s Edge) is a plus.
- Exceptional people skills and unwavering commitment to outstanding customer service.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail are required.
- Professionalism, discretion and teamwork are essential.
- Ability to work independently.
Compensation and Benefits
- $40,000 ‐ Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Benefits package includes a health plan and Simple IRA match as well as holidays, paid vacation, sick and flexible personal days.
Please submit a resume and cover letter in word or pdf file format to:
Cover letter is an example of your written communication to include your interest in this position and the SDSO as well as your specific qualifications. Address cover letter to Jennifer Teisinger, Executive Director.
Position is open until filled.
The SDSO’s community engagement work is intentional about building multicultural bridges through music, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to be a part of the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people of color or people of other marginalized communities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org