Title: Patron Services and Exhibitions Manager Department: Communications
Immediate Supervisor: Associate Director of Visitor Experience
Classification: FLSA Exempt, Full Time
The Patron Services and Exhibitions Manager is integral to ensuring the historic site visitation experience is welcoming and accessible for visitors. This position is responsible for the front-line operations of the visitor experience and manages the visitor services associates to ensure the highest level of customer service, customer safety and patron relations. The position also assists with the implementation of accessibility offerings related to historic site visits. This position ensures a full and rich experience for the historic site visitor.
• Responsible for the full cycle employment of Visitor Services Associates, including recruitment, hiring, training, development and evaluation.
• Creates and maintains Visitor Services Associates schedule ensuring sufficient coverage during all open hours, including holiday and weekend coverage as well as occasional evening coverage for special events.
• Required to fill in on the floor when adequate coverage among the Visitor Services Associates cannot be arranged.
• Assist the Associate Director of Visitor Experience in ensuring the historic site, exhibits and interpretive experience adhere to and, when reasonably feasible, exceed relevant ADA requirements.
• Assist Associate Director of Visitor Experience with development and implementation of accessibility offerings, including resource development, description training and special events for communities with disabilities.
• Serve as a member on the Access Committee, which develops and implements new initiatives and programs based around access and inclusion.
• Provide the highest level of customer service through excellent verbal and written communications in both visitor services and interpretation.
• Maintain a significant presence on the floor working side by side with the front-line team. The Patron Services and Exhibitions Manager should be prepared to work on the floor 15-20 hours per week
• Communicate exhibit-related maintenance or outstanding issues to Associate Director of Visitor Experience. Serve as point of contact for the frontline team and support resolution as needed.
• Maintain lost and found inventory including customer correspondence and donation of unclaimed items.
• Respond to firstname.lastname@example.org emails and forward as appropriate.
• Serve as the first point of contact for Visitor Services Associates during times when the site is open.
• Serve as the central point of contact for visitor feedback and needs on site, as well as emergency situations. Keep senior staff informed of high-level emergency situations.
• Working with the Education department and the Associate Director of Visitor Experience, assist with creating regular robust interpretive theme training for visitor services associates and other relevant staff while also developing and maintaining tour resources.
• Coordinate and give tours of the site. This includes assisting the Education department with student tours, coordinating and staffing special tours such as Make-A-Wish visits, assisting the Development department with VIP tours as necessary, and giving on-boarding tours to new staff.
• Assist Development as needed for special events.
• Coordinate and assist with the maintenance and repair of A/V components of exhibits in both Aftermath exhibits and basement museum.
• Perform monthly cleaning of the book tower in the Center and weekly cleaning of the Center exhibits.
• Empty the donation tubes on CEL 2 and deposit the money at the bank.
• Assist the Interpretive Planning team with visitor evaluation and feedback.
• Assist with front-line preparation for the annual Gala.
• Maintain a current First Aid/CPR certification
• Maintain a department environment that supports an enthusiastic front-line staff and a good working rapport with the full staff and other departments.
• All visitor services employees are required to see at least one performance or final dress rehearsal of each production as early in the run as possible.
• High school diploma plus demonstrated knowledge or coursework in museum interpretation or visitor operations
• Strong ability to prioritize and multitask efficiently.
• Ability to work effectively and communicate openly in a team setting.
• Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills with attention to detail.
• Exceptional customer service skills via telephone, e-mail correspondence and in person.
• Ability to develop, build, motivate, train, and supervise a strong team of employees to achieve customer service goals.
• Basic knowledge of Microsoft office and math skills required.
• Must be cheerful, team-spirited, organized, detail-oriented and efficient but flexible.
• Stamina to work long shifts on occasion in very busy environment.
• Must be able to lift boxes weighing up to 25 pounds, climb ladders, navigate stairs and have no restrictions bending down or reaching above head.
• Must be available to work some evening and weekend hours for special events and to cover gaps in availability of part-time staff
• Standard First Aid and CPR certification are required. Training and certification will be provided upon hire if the candidate does not already possess certification.
• Passion for history or the performing arts.
• Experience in public speaking or historic site interpretation preferred.
• Knowledge of, or interest in learning about, exhibit maintenance and collections care.
• High level of comfort using internet and Microsoft office tools.
• Minimum of 2 years customer service experience required, at least two years or equivalent supervisory experience preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years in a museum environment preferred.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Colleen Prior at email@example.com.
Ford’s Theatre Society values and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and working environment. Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org