Giordano Dance Chicago – America’s Original Jazz Dance Company
Giordano Dance Chicago (GDC) creates and presents new and innovative jazz dance choreography, often redefining and expanding the very definition of jazz dance, and brings this invaluable American art form to audiences and students of all ages and from all ethnic backgrounds. Now in its 57th year, Giordano Dance Chicago is dedicated, also, to the preservation and promotion of the Giordano Technique. Whether on the stage or in the classroom, we strive to enrich lives through dance.
The organization is in an extended and transformative period of growth and opportunity with an expansion of its Board of Directors, its Associate Board, its operating budget, and most recently, a multi-million dollar gift providing the foundation for the organization’s first-ever capital initiative, the envision:campaign.
GDC is poised to expand its multi-faceted, six-decade influence to drive economic and strategic leadership within Chicago’s near north side neighborhoods as well as in the local, national, and international dance communities.
LOCATION 1754 North Clark Street
Chicago, Illinois 60614
SALARY $68,000 to $73,000 in a high-paced work environment, with paid vacation and flexible hours
WEB SITE www.giordanodance.org
As an outcome of this period of sustained growth, Giordano Dance Chicago is now in a position to hire its first full-time Director of Development. The Director of Development is a critical member of the organization’s senior strategic team, reports directly to the Executive Director, and oversees a growing staff, alongside volunteers and interns. The Development Director will have direct input in shaping our expanding fundraising operation, currently organized as two full-time employees, with contracted support focused on grant writing and the envision:campaign.
The Director is responsible for driving the organization’s multiple contributed revenue streams, pursuing an annual general operation fundraising goal of at least $800,000 and a capital goal to be determined. In addition, the Director will have a leadership role in the development and implementation of the organization’s first-ever capital campaign. The Director of Development plays a catalytic role in transforming the organization from a mid-size dance company into a cultural institution with significant artistic and organizational impact.
STRATEGY AND LEADERSHIP
• Work intimately with GDC’s Board of Directors, the Executive and Artistic Directors, and outside counsel to establish strategies for securing the organization’s health and stability.
• Create and manage multi-year pathways and goals for all sources of contributed income (individuals, foundations, corporations, and governmental) for both general operations and the envision:campaign.
• Catalyze an internal commitment to building a superlative culture of philanthropy through cultivation of solid relationships with current and prospective funders and supporters, especially individual donors.
• Serve as an ambassador of the organization by cultivating relationships with community members including prospective volunteers and supporters in order to build awareness of and commitment to GDC’s mission and programs.
• Actively reinforce organizational culture and agreements.
• Develop a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
• Create strong systems, policies, and procedures necessary to the development of a solid infrastructure.
• Maintain oversight and report regularly on all fundraising activities including major giving, grants, special events, direct mail appeals, and corporate partnership initiatives.
• Oversee the maintenance and expansion of the organization’s database of supporters.
• Create and maintain all gift recognition programs.
• Ensure the success of the entire Development Team through supervision, goal setting, and performance review.
• Align all Development Team initiatives with the organization’s marketing, messaging, communications, and adhere to organizational branding guidelines.
EVENTS AND GRANTS
• Working collaboratively across the organization, drive success for special events including Dancing With The Giordano Stars, the Legacy Ball, and cultivation and partnership events.
• Lead the planning, writing and reviewing of foundation, governmental and corporate grants, applications, narratives, budgets, and final reports in collaboration with a contracted grants writer.
• Manage expense budgets for the Development Team.
• Actively participate in Board Financial Development Committee meetings.
• Participate in regular meetings of the Board of Directors.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports as requested by the Executive Director and Board.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (required).
• Minimum of five years’ experience in development work (required).
• Capital campaign experience (required).
• Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources, including major gifts from individuals,
foundations, corporations and government agencies.
• Experience in donor cultivation, grant writing, contracts management and special events.
• Knowledge of and connections to the funding community in Chicago, the Midwest, and nationally.
• Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and a results-oriented culture.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal, supervisory, administrative and management skills.
• Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs and Salesforce.
• Ability to work well with diverse groups of people.
• Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude.
• Resourcefulness, creativity, entrepreneurial drive, and strong problem-solving skills.
• Superlative interpersonal and writing skills.
• Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, partnership and grit.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to Michael McStraw, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Development Director” in the subject line. No phone calls.
Giordano Dance Chicago offers a welcoming, dynamic, and highly spirited environment and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Giordano Dance Chicago
Giordano Dance Chicago (GDC), now in its 57th Anniversary Season, is America’s original jazz dance company, founded in 1963 by legendary dance pioneer Gus Giordano. GDC creates and presents new and innovative jazz dance choreography, often redefining and expanding the very definition of jazz dance, and brings this invaluable American art form to audiences and students of all ages and from all ethnic backgrounds. GDC is dedicated, also, to the preservation and promotion of the Giordano Technique. Whether on the stage or in the classroom, we strive to enrich lives through dance, and it is this solid mission statement and organizational vision which informs all of the organization’s activities.
The value that Giordano Dance Chicago brings to its local, national, and international communities is the universal and life-affirming experience of witnessing dance that is powerful, passionate, elegant, and celebratory.