Giordano Dance Chicago – America’s Original Jazz Dance Company
Giordano Dance Chicago (GDC) creates and presents new and innovative jazz dance choreography, often redefining and expanding the very definition of jazz dance, and brings this invaluable American art form to audiences and students of all ages and from all ethnic backgrounds. Now in its 57th year, Giordano Dance Chicago is dedicated, also, to the preservation and promotion of the Giordano Technique. Whether on the stage or in the classroom, we strive to enrich lives through dance.
The organization is in an extended and transformative period of growth and opportunity with an expansion of its Board of Directors, its Associate Board, its operating budget, and most recently, a multi-million dollar gift providing the foundation for the organization’s first-ever capital initiative, the envision:campaign.
GDC is poised to expand its multi-faceted, six-decade influence to drive economic and strategic leadership within Chicago’s near north side neighborhoods as well as in the local, national, and international dance communities.
LOCATION 1754 North Clark Street
Chicago, Illinois 60614
SALARY $48,000 to $52,000 in a high-paced work environment, with paid vacation and flexible hours
WEB SITE www.giordanodance.org
With the acquisition of a building, the onset of a major capital campaign, and the increasing complexity of its finances, GDC seeks a highly qualified and energized individual who will further develop and administer the accounting, finance and administration functions and, overall, raise the organization’s financial sophistication. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Business Manager provides input and direction on all business affairs and ensures that GDC continues its multi-year goal of increasing financial stability, protecting assets, and fulfilling local, state, and Federal laws and obligations. As a key staff member, the Business Manager actively participates in all aspects of strategic financial planning, process improvement, and enhanced attention to accuracy and transparency.
• Manage all accounting and finance functions for the organization, both general operations and capital campaign.
• In partnership with the Executive Director and Board Finance Committee, prepare annual budgets, mid-year forecasts, as well as standard dashboards and ad hoc reports.
• Monitor income and expenditures, and conduct appropriate analyses to detect trends, potential errors or omissions.
• Monitor cash flow, and conduct appropriate analyses to detect trends and forestall challenges.
• Prepare and submit all financial statements, monthly, quarterly and annual tax forms, and all required communications to federal, state, governmental, and funding entities.
• Conduct month end, quarterly, and year-end review/close of books.
• Lead internal preparation for annual audit.
• Review, approve, and disburse organization’s funds.
• Maintain appropriate banking relationships.
• Monitor and evaluate internal controls.
• Ensure organization’s compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, FASB, and all other relevant accounting and audit statutes.
• Review and update fiscal policies and procedures.
• Ensure the organization is properly insured; make recommendations for enhancements, as needed.
• Solicit bids and negotiate insurance agreements.
• Advise Executive Director on ways to reduce risk.
• Manage the HR function for the organization.
• Manage salaries and benefits.
• In conjunction with Operations Manager, review and administer service and performance contracts.
• Provide proof of insurance coverage for service and performance contracts.
• Ensure organization’s compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws and regulations.
• Administer annual commitments from Board of Director and Associate Board of Directors.
• In partnership with the Development Team, administer multi-year capital campaign pledges.
• Create and enforce business-wide document management policies and processes.
FACILITIES AND OPERATIONS
• Establish and maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers.
• Negotiate and monitor all leasing arrangements.
• Supervise purchasing function.
• Implement and monitor maintenance and improvement of facilities and equipment.
• Capable professional with 3+ years of finance and accounting experience in a nonprofit environment, coupled with a working knowledge of GAAP, GAAS and FASB.
• Bachelor degree in accounting or finance preferred.
• Proficiency with QuickBooks, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Word required.
• Experience with Salesforce (or other CRM database) a plus.
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills, superlative attention to detail, and a proven ability to implement change.
• Demonstrate solid experience and success in leading internal business operations and administration.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks and re-prioritize as necessary to reach business needs and objectives.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume via email to Michael McStraw, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Business Manager” in the subject line. No phone calls.
Giordano Dance Chicago offers a welcoming, dynamic, and highly spirited environment and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Giordano Dance Chicago
Giordano Dance Chicago (GDC), now in its 57th Anniversary Season, is America’s original jazz dance company, founded in 1963 by legendary dance pioneer Gus Giordano. GDC creates and presents new and innovative jazz dance choreography, often redefining and expanding the very definition of jazz dance, and brings this invaluable American art form to audiences and students of all ages and from all ethnic backgrounds. GDC is dedicated, also, to the preservation and promotion of the Giordano Technique. Whether on the stage or in the classroom, we strive to enrich lives through dance, and it is this solid mission statement and organizational vision which informs all of the organization’s activities.
The value that Giordano Dance Chicago brings to its local, national, and international communities is the universal and life-affirming experience of witnessing dance that is powerful, passionate, elegant, and celebratory.