Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.
Website Guthrie Theater
Reports to: Director of Audience Services
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Box Office Manager is responsible for creating and maintaining a positive first point of contact for Guthrie audiences and ensuring the delivery of excellent customer service and the smooth running of all Box Office operations. The position manages the day-to-day operations of the Box Office, implementing and updating as needed all Box Office policies and procedures including financial and operational procedures necessary to manage over $10M in annual ticket sales. Reporting to the Director of Audience Services, the Box Office Manager works in collaboration with the Audience Services Coordinator, House Manager, and Season Ticket and Groups Sales Manager. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $44,000 – $55,845 annually, plus benefits. This position works flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theater.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operations Management
- Provide day-to-day oversight and management of ticketing systems, processes and resources as well as customer service operations, with regular reporting to the department director.
- Oversee all event set-up and administration of events in Tessitura.
- Manage and track Tessitura ticket inventory.
- Communicate relevant organizational information to Box Office staff.
- Organize and lead regular Box Office meetings in partnership with the Audience Services Coordinator.
- Work with the Accessibility Coordinator to ensure Box Office supports the theater’s access programs.
- Lead and plan departmental meetings, in collaboration with the Audience Services Coordinator.
- Work in collaboration with the House Manager to ensure smooth show operations.
- Delegate projects to Box Office staff.
- Participate in Box Office night-of-show supervisor rotation.
- Track product inventory and coordinate ordering with the Marketing Department.
- Participate on the Operating Committee and other organization committees/task forces as needed.
- Manage Box Office online resources, ensuring accurate updated information.
- Collaborate with Guest Services in coordinating a smooth transition from day staff to show staff.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
2. Stakeholder Management
- Liaise with various departments to ensure smooth ticket operations procedures across the organization.
- Serve as the point person for VIP ticket requests.
- Manage multiple Box Office email and phone lines and coordinate staff coverage.
- Provide exceptional customer service to patrons of the Box Office. Take every possible step to ensure that customers have a welcoming and positive experience, even in difficult situations. Handle issues in an equitable, professional, and courteous manner.
- Take an active and positive role in setting and maintaining high levels of customer service. Model a polite and professional demeanor when interacting with customers and colleagues.
- Share themes and feedback from audience members/patrons with the Audience Services Director.
- Support season tickets sales, group sales, and tours, working collaboratively with the Season Ticket and Groups Sales manager.
- Coordinate Box Office participation in Guthrie new employee orientation.
3. Financial Management
- Ensure that cash is properly handled and that reconciliations are conducted accurately and timely. Financial reconciliation includes: preparing daily deposits, handling cash and receipts, counting the safe, ensuring established money-handling procedures are followed.
- Assure the proper accounting of all money and tickets for events serviced by the building.
- Manage cash/tender tracking systems inbound and outbound from the Box Office, including procedures for accessing the box office safe.
- Ensure staff are following security and credit card standards when processing credit card sales.
- Approve refund requests, checking for accuracy in forms and Tessitura transactions.
- Work in partnership with the Finance Department to establish financial policies and procedures; answer inquires or provide assistance when needed.
4. Talent Management
- Lead, manage, supervise and motivate the Box Office staff.
- Use the organizational monthly check-in form to complete monthly check-ins with all direct reports.
- Work in partnership with the Audience Services Coordinator on hiring, onboarding, staff training, and meeting scheduling.
- Coach and develop staff members by monitoring employee productivity and providing constructive feedback; facilitating conflict resolution among employees; ensuring adherence to legal and organizational policies and procedures and undertaking disciplinary actions if the need arises; and completing annual performance evaluations.
- Maintain and approve direct report timesheets, Paid Time Off requests, and other personnel records.
5. Strategy Management
- Foster a work environment incorporating the Guthrie values of Artistic Excellence, Community, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Fiscal Responsibility.
- Audit current processes and practices to identify areas for improvement for areas of focus and ensure documentation is updated as needed.
- Ensure the Guthrie’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion efforts are incorporated into the Box Office day to day operations.
- Implement the Guthrie’s mission, vision, core values and initiatives in Box Office practices.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing, supervising, training, and motivating a team.
- Demonstrated experience in a box office with a computerized ticketing system required with experience in performing arts/entertainment preferred. While not required, Tessitura experience a plus.
- Working knowledge of non-profit or performing arts organizations and their various constituent relationships, interactions and transactions.
- Experience in working with different types of audiences; season ticket experience a plus.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours/days, including evenings and weekends, reflective of the dynamic schedule of the theater.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to efficiently and effectively resolve issues for internal and external customers, frequently in a time-sensitive environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including in person, over the phone, and via email.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to work in a collaborative environment, prioritize and manage multiple, ongoing projects.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a flexible mindset and attention to detail.
- Remains calm in demanding situations.
- Works on own initiative.
- Collaborates effectively to achieve common goals, be a strong team player, and to contribute positive energy, creativity and enthusiasm.
- Seeks innovative solutions to improve systems, processes and future planning.
- Experience, ability, and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference such as race, gender-identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover letter
Apply online here: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/GUT1000/JobBoard/47c392e4-6d7f-1e47-226b-ee862ea48cfb/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=33c34c82-13d2-410d-91ed-2253d149f4f1
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.
Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.