Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.
Website Hartford Stage
Director of Marketing and Communications
About Hartford Stage
Under the leadership of Artistic Director Melia Bensussen and Managing Director Cynthia Rider, Hartford Stage is entering its 58th season, continuing the theatre’s legacy of artistic excellence by creating theatrical works that enlighten, entertain, and educate. This work takes on a new resonance in an era when Hartford Stage, along with many national arts and culture organizations, continue a period of transformation to acknowledge and increase awareness of racial injustice and confront it directly in all practices. In particular, Hartford Stage is on a journey toward greater reconciliation with their past, rooted in exploration of its local history and the multitude of backgrounds and points of view that are present in its community so that they can be more robustly represented in the work on and off the stage.
Renowned for producing innovative revivals of classics, as well as provocative new plays and musicals, Hartford Stage has earned many of the nation’s most prestigious awards, including the Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. Additional national recognition includes honors from the Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, American Theatre Wing, the OBIES, and the New York Critics Circle.
Hartford Stage has produced over 80 world and North American premieres, including the new musical Anastasia, which enjoyed a two-year run on Broadway; A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, winner of four 2014 Tony Awards, including Best Musical and Best Direction of a Musical; and Quiara Alegría Hudes’ Water by the Spoonful, winner of the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Drama. Other notable premieres include The Engagement Party by Samuel Baum; Make Believe by Bess Wohl; The Age of Innocence by Douglas McGrath; Seder by Sarah Gancher; Rear Window, adapted by Keith Reddin, and starring Kevin Bacon; An Opening in Time by Christopher Shinn; Reverberation by Matthew Lopez; Big Dance Theatre’s Man in a Case with Mikhail Baryshnikov; and Breath & Imagination by Daniel Beaty. Nationally-renowned titles include the New York transfers of Enchanted April; The Orphans’ Home Cycle; Resurrection (later retitled Through the Night); The Carpetbagger’s Children; and Tea at Five.
Hartford Stage recently announced its return to in-person performances beginning in October 2021 with a season of five productions including Eugene O’Neill’s Ah, Wildnerness!, Pearl Cleage’s Angry, Raucous and Shamelessly Gorgeous, Alaudin Ullah’s Dishwasher Dreams, Neil Simon’s Lost in Yonkers, and a holiday production of It’s a Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play adapted by Joe Landry. For more information, visit https://www.hartfordstage.org/subscribe/.
About the Opportunity
Hartford Stage is in preparation for its return to full production following COVID-19, and seeks a Director of Marketing and Communications who will direct the currently reduced staff and intentionally grow the team to support future operations. This role leads an energetic and experienced team of marketing, sales, and communications professionals, as well as co-leads community engagement efforts along with the Artistic department to establish relationships with local entities that will broaden and deepen the theatre’s network and impact. All of this is aimed at achieving the strategic objectives of the theatre, producing content and campaigns as groundbreaking as the work on stage. In addition to meeting the theatre’s revenue and attendance goals, the Director of Marketing and Communications will play a pivotal role in further embedding and integrating Hartford Stage into the local community through thoughtful and authentic partnerships.
In particular, Hartford Stage seeks a Director of Marketing and Communications who can be a valuable thought partner to the Artistic team to interpret the vision for the stage into creative campaigns and materials that will connect it to the desired audiences. This role will be best served by an exceptional communicator and collaborator with strong copywriting and creative direction abilities. This is particularly important as Hartford Stage seeks to broaden the definition of traditional theatre audiences and reach a larger segment of the local community.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for leading the theatre’s marketing, branding, public relations, audience development, community engagement (co-led with Artistic), and sales strategies, resulting in the greatest possible market penetration, increased ticket sales and exceptional brand awareness. In collaboration with all of the theatre’s departments, and with the support of a staff of 13 (2 Marketing, 8 Patron Services, 3 Front-of-House) and several vendors/freelancers (digital, photography, and graphic design), the Director of Marketing and Communications will ensure that the theatre maintains strong and mutually rewarding relationships with its audience, generates compelling content befitting the theatre’s artistic quality, and is a thriving addition to the city, state, and nation’s cultural landscape.
Position Function and Expectations
* Supervise all aspects of institutional marketing, sales, and public relations in an effort to achieve approximately $2.7M in annual ticket revenue.
* Serve as primary departmental interface with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, and Board of Directors.
* Contribute to the work of the senior management team by creating a positive and creative environment for artists and staff.
* Collaborate with staff and community members to continually develop and advance the theatre’s policies and culture with regard to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racist practice
* Maintain a position of leadership in the field and remain current with rapidly changing technology and approaches to reaching diverse audiences.
* Supervise a staff of 13 people across Marketing, Patron Services, and Front-of-House including 300 volunteer ushers
* Lead the recruitment of a volunteer corps that is as diverse as the city of Hartford, and that will engender an inclusive and equitable culture
* Embrace the challenges and opportunities of producing a broad range of programming that spans classical theatre, new works, musical theatre, community events, and education initiatives; as well as inspire enthusiasm in the entire marketing team to do the same.
* Oversee all aspects of Hartford Stage’s subscription campaigns (acquisition and renewal); single ticket campaigns for MainStage productions and other events as scheduled; and all aspects of marketing and public relations for ticketed special events, readings, humanities events, education programs, and community relations activities.
* Oversee the successful execution of Hartford Stage’s brand across all marketing collateral, as well as materials produced for all departments.
* Ensure consistent messaging across all outbound sales channels, including supervision of Telemarketing and Group Sales efforts.
* Ensure Hartford Stage’s visibility in local, statewide, national, and international media; and ensure that Hartford Stage is current with advancements in all media, with emphasis on digital.
* Represent the theatre and its objectives in public spheres through speaking engagements and personal appearances.
* Align with the Development department on all sales and donor cultivation goals to maximize opportunities for deepening loyalty and soliciting contributions among subscribers and single ticket buyers. This includes individual giving, gala ticket purchases, and ticketing round-ups/upsells.
* Work with the Development department in developing and advancing sponsor opportunities. Help ensure that appropriate donor recognition occurs in print and broadcast materials. In concert with the Director of Development, develop sponsorship opportunities.
* Work with the Education department to expand marketing opportunities and increase sales for Adult and Youth classes and education performances. Publicize all education programs and activities.
* Plan and execute an integrated marketing strategy and campaigns that encompass content marketing, paid media/advertising (digital, print, broadcast, outdoor), CRM, email marketing, social media and experiential/event marketing, SEO/SEM, and press.
* Ensure that the theatre maintains a strong digital presence, including social media, web, and mobile platforms.
* Oversee development and execution of media strategy/buying, including programmatic buying.
* Measure and report performance of all digital marketing campaigns, and assess against goals (ROI and KPIs).
* Identify trends and insights, and optimize spend and performance based on them.
* Collaborate with the Artistic department on the theatre’s community engagement initiatives including community partnerships and outreach initiatives.
Financial Management and Reporting
* Create, in concert with the Managing Director, an annual budget that maximizes revenue and streamlines expenses.
* Forecast and research sales potential for various artistic and education projects; establish sales goals and direct departmental activity toward achieving said goals.
* Ensure that the theatre is implementing and optimizing pricing and revenue management in line with industry best practice.
* Provide sales reports and forecasts to keep the theatre up to date on its current and anticipated financial status.
* Other duties, responsibilities and special projects as assigned by the Artistic and/or Managing Directors.
* Evening and/or weekend work may be required
* Required: 8 or more years of professional marketing experience and demonstrated success in achieving or exceeding sales goals;
* Excellent organizational, management, interpersonal communication, and public speaking abilities;
* Must be able to handle multiple tasks and be detail and deadline oriented;
* Extensive knowledge and significant experience in marketing and customer loyalty; direct experience in professional theatre and arts marketing is preferred but not required, though a passion for theatre is essential;
* Excellent writing skills;
* Previous experience with budgeting and forecasting;
* Must have a creative aesthetic and be able to work with theatre artists, designers, photographers, and visual artists;
* Demonstrated interest and experience leveraging digital media.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
* Inspiring leadership, and a good sense of humor
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Ability to work effectively in a creative and innovative environment
* Knowledge of and commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, accessibility, and anti-racist practice, as well as their direct impacts on marketing and communications approaches and decision-making
* Experience in identifying target audiences and devising highly creative campaigns that engage, inform and motivate
* Exceptional attention to detail and deadlines and commitment to follow-through
* Excellent computer skills in Microsoft office, and experience with Tessitura software a plus
* Ability to juggle multiple priorities effectively
* Demonstrable experience leading and managing CRM and marketing technology/databases, and digital marketing
* Experience in optimizing landing pages and user funnels
* Experience with A/B and multivariate experiments
* Solid knowledge of website analytics tools (e.g., Google Analytics)
* Familiarity with Google Analytics, ad serving tools (e.g., Facebook Ad Manager), Google Adwords and HTML/CSS
* Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking
* Knowledge of latest trends and best practices in digital marketing and measurement
* Working knowledge of Spanish preferred
Compensation: Approximately $100,000 commensurate with experience, with a benefits package including health, dental, vision, and 401k (with match after 18 months).
Hartford Stage is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse, equitable, and antiracist environment. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field are strongly encouraged to apply.
The search for the Director of Marketing & Communications is being conducted on behalf of Hartford Stage by Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm specializing in marketing, development, and adjacent disciplines within the arts and culture industries.
To apply, email your cover letter, salary requirements, and resume as a single PDF file to email@example.com with “Hartford Stage” in the subject line. Please name the file using the template of “Last Name, First Name.” Cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with similar positions and institutions. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.