Website Houston Symphony
Job Title: Assistant Conductor
Reports to: Director of Artistic Planning
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt from overtime
The Houston Symphony Assistant Conductor is responsible for rehearsing and conducting education, outreach and community concerts, rehearsing and conducting other performances as assigned, serving as cover conductor for rehearsals and performances as assigned by the Music Director, and acting as representative of the Houston Symphony during other duties as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
• Serve as cover conductor for at least 18 weeks of Classical subscription concerts plus performances of Messiah, summer concerts and tours, as well as other concert programs as assigned. This includes personal preparation of all scores and providing written and verbal feedback on artistic matters relating to repertory (balance, intonation, dynamics, ensemble issues, etc.). May be asked to conduct off stage ensembles or serve as score reader for supertitles or other production needs.
• Assist Music Director with auditions, recordings, research and other duties as specified. Attendance at all rehearsals and concerts of music director.
• Work with Director of Artistic Planning and other Houston Symphony artistic and education staff members as needed to develop programs including but not limited to Education, Community and Family concerts, Pops programs, Miller Outdoor Theater, corporate concerts, sold services, and additional programming as required. Rehearse and conduct these programs, including delivering memorized text. The ability to write and deliver comments clearly and effectively from the stage for various concert formats/services is essential.
• Attend various concert and non-concert events representing the Houston Symphony. Participate as directed in planning meetings, media events, fundraising activities, speaking engagements, educational and outreach opportunities, development meetings and activities, administrative meetings and other activities as determined and identified by the Houston Symphony Society.
• Possess broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and programming, as well as a deep appreciation for, understanding of, and sensitivity to the needs of professional musicians.
• Perform additional duties as required by the Music Director and/or Houston Symphony Society.
• Bachelor’s degree in conducting or related music field required.
• Master’s level or higher preferred.
• Must have experience conducting a professional orchestra.
• Broad knowledge of orchestral repertoire and programming.
• Fluent and articulate in English and able to communicate effectively to musicians, staff, and a wide range of audience members.
• Year-round residency in Houston required.
• Auditions will take place May 9, 2023 at Jones Hall, Houston.
Following the resumé and video submission round, the audition process will consist of a final, in-person round in finalists are invited to conduct orchestral excerpts with the Houston Symphony. While the intention of this audition is to identify an Assistant Conductor, all applicants, and particularly finalists, may be considered for future conducting opportunities with the Houston Symphony.
Finalists will be invited to participate in the final round of the audition, held on stage at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts.
• Finalists will be expected to prepare and conduct the following repertoire with the Houston Symphony:
Beethoven: Symphony No.1
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra
Strauss: Till Eulenspiegels lustige Streiche
• Finalists will be asked to prepare and conduct the Beethoven, Bartók and Strauss in a rehearsal session with the Houston Symphony. This will be for a panel including the Music Director and Houston Symphony artistic staff. The orchestra will also give feedback to the panel following this session.
• Finalists may also take part in additional interviews with the Houston Symphony Music Director and designated members of the orchestra and administrative staff.
• The Houston Symphony will pay for air travel and hotel accommodations in Houston for each finalist.
Application Deadline & Audition Notification:
Applications should be received no later than 5:00pm CST on March 10, 2023.
Candidates invited to Houston for the audition will be notified by April 3, 2023.
Submit resume only with cover letter, as well as links to three conducting videos representing contrasting styles, of which at least two must be standard repertoire, and all of which must be with orchestra or chamber ensemble. Applicants may send materials (videos should be via YouTube or shared site such as DropBox) to:
The Houston Symphony is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other protected class.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com