For more information and to apply, please click here. Please complete all sections of the application and submit a resume and cover letter.
Job Title: Assistant Orchestra Personnel Manager
Reports to: Orchestra Personnel Manager
Status: Full-time, exempt
Assist the Orchestra Personnel Manager with the administration of the personnel of the Orchestra; application of the master agreement; preparation and maintenance of orchestra payroll and other records; scheduling of musicians; hiring of substitute and extra musicians and coordination of auditions. The Orchestra Personnel and Assistant Personnel Manager serve as a liaison between musicians and management.
Essential Job Functions:
· Maintain a friendly and positive environment for the musicians of the orchestra, fostering and encouraging open communication between the orchestra and management.
· Ensure the smooth running of all orchestra services in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
· Create, manage, and post musician rosters, monthly wind/brass casting sheets, weekly string reductions, and bi-weekly attendance lists. Communicate with wind, brass, and percussion principals and string section point keepers in a timely manner to obtain casting and strings reductions
· Provide administrative and operational support to Orchestra Personnel Manager.
Split coverage of orchestra services with the Assistant Orchestra Personnel Manager, ensuring that rehearsals, performances and media services begin and end on time, and proper intermission requirements are met. Announce and document overtime, as necessary. Record attendance at each service and communicate personnel-related information to conductors, as appropriate as well as intermission requirements. Provide backstage support to the personnel manager during daytime rehearsals at Jones Hall.
· Assist with the implementation of OPAS, including liaising with OPAS software personnel as needed.
· Coordinate Houston Symphony auditions; oversee posting of audition notices on the Houston Symphony website and advertisements in the International Musician and other media; answer related correspondence; create audition mailings; work with audition committees to formulate audition lists and review applicant resumes and recordings; coordinate music preparation with library; maintain candidate database and scheduling of audition times; work with other operations personnel to reserve facilities and schedule crew to staff auditions; coordinate sign up of musician stage assistants/proctors and record work hours for payment; assist in the execution of audition. Maintain accurate files of Houston Symphony auditions.
· Manage the tracking and reporting of electronic media payments made to the orchestra.
· Draft and distribute a weekly musician information sheet.
· Assist in the coordination, set up, and monitoring of Orchestra COVID-19 testing, vaccination, or any other medical clinics at Jones Hall.
· Hire substitute and extra musicians as requested by the Orchestra Personnel Manager.
· Maintain substitute and extra musician lists. Arrange weekly security clearance for substitute and extra musicians.
· Maintain orchestra backstage bulletin board and musician’s informational website.
· Manage email communications to the Orchestra from other Houston Symphony departments.
· Work with patron services personnel to manage musician sign-up for complimentary concert tickets.
· Assist in updating the musicians’ hotline weekly with current orchestra service information.
· Maintain string rotation schedule.
· Organize and maintain musician databases.
· Assist the Orchestra Personnel Manager to determine and assign/hire musicians for non-orchestra events, including, but not limited to, Audience Development Services, donor or subscriber cultivation, board meetings, education, and pre- or post-concert activities.
· Participate in production meetings.
· Perform all functions of the Orchestra Personnel Manager in his/her absence.
· Perform additional duties as required by the Houston Symphony Society.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Formal music training or equivalent experience; knowledge of classical music repertoire, particularly instrumentation.
· Experience in orchestra management and/or playing in a professional orchestra.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills and diplomatic abilities.
· Excellent organizational skills and attention to details.
· Computer literacy; proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel. Database knowledge, including prior use of OPAS a plus.
· Ability to work evenings and weekends, as required.
About Houston Symphony
Mission of the Houston Symphony:
The mission of the Houston Symphony is to inspire and engage a large and diverse audience in Greater Houston and beyond through exceptional orchestral and non-orchestral performances, educational programs and community activities.