Job Title: Chief Marketing Officer
Reports to: Executive Director/CEO
Status: Regular, full-time, exempt
The Houston Symphony, one of the nation’s most distinguished orchestras and a leading performing arts organization in America’s fourth-largest city, is seeking applicants for the position of Chief Marketing Officer (CMO). The Symphony is in the opening weeks of its 105th season, which offers a variety of classical, pops, family, and community oriented programming with outstanding soloists and conductors. The CMO plays a critical role in building audiences for and media/public interest in the Houston Symphony’s full complement of concert, community/education, touring, and recording activities. Reporting to and partnering with the Executive Director/CEO, the CMO will lead the marketing, communications, and patron services efforts of the Houston Symphony in a coordinated way to meet the institution’s overall audience development and earned revenue goals. As a member of the senior leadership team, the CMO will work closely with an engaged Marketing Committee of the Board to develop successful strategies for reaching those goals. Working with a marketing/communications/patron services team of 12 full-time staff members, the CMO is responsible for the development and oversight of a departmental budget of $4.5 million in support of $10.5 million in earned revenue goals.
Essential Job Functions:
• Develop a three-year strategic marketing and communications plan for the Houston Symphony that takes advantage of the artistic and strategic assets of the Houston Symphony: our Music Director, Andrés Orozco-Estrada; our Principal Pops Conductor, Steven Reineke; our 89 musicians; and our Vision 2025 strategic plan.
• Work closely with the Senior Director of Communications to manage organization-wide communications, including brand and messaging platforms.
• Work closely with Chief Operating Officer and Director of Artistic Planning to develop messaging around artistic profile and initiatives.
• In coordination with an outside creative agency, devise and implement broad brand awareness and season messaging campaigns.
• Oversee the coordination of marketing and communications strategies and tactics to ensure that institutional revenue goals are met.
• Lead the implementation of market research projects, working with outside partners as needed.
• Analyze and track weekly sales reports related to overall sales and revenue forecasting.
• Create and track the annual marketing and communications budget.
• Direct the annual analysis and determination of single ticket and subscription pricing.
• Work with outside marketing partners and vendors to negotiate and execute annual contracts related to printing, mailing, advertising and media buying.
• Work with Executive Director/CEO, Board leadership, and senior management to identify and cultivate new initiatives and revenue streams.
• Direct the continued improvement of the houstonsymphony.org web platform for increased ticket sales, in collaboration with outside digital and ticketing entities.
• Together with the Board VP of Audience Development and Marketing, lead the Marketing Committee efforts of the board and related board subcommittees.
• Prepare and give reports at board meetings and committees related to sales, audience trends, and budget.
• Devise and implement plans to improve the Houston Symphony in-hall concert experience.
• Bachelor’s degree in marketing or related field.
• 7-10 years experience in marketing or the non-profit field, including supervisory experience in leading multiple team members.
• Professional experience at a performing arts organization and/or a musical background preferred.
• Availability for evening and weekend work
• The candidate must be proficient with Microsoft Office, especially Word and Excel
• Ability to be an effective and articulate spokesperson of the Houston Symphony in a wide variety of settings.
• Strong interpersonal and presentation skills and ability to work with varying personalities
• Focused, strategic thinker with a high energy level and strong work ethic
• Strong leadership and team management skills
• High level of integrity and dependability
• Knowledge of and passion for classical and other music genres a must
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present at the board level
• Positive attitude and team-player approach
• Ability to take and adapt to constructive criticism
• Ability to be flexible, manage stress and multi-task
• Facility with reporting and analysis of sales data
• Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented approach a must
• Familiarity and comfort with Web and social media preferred
About Houston Symphony
Founded in 1913, the Houston Symphony is one of America’s oldest performing arts organizations with a distinguished musical history. The Houston Symphony performs over 170 concerts for more than 350,000 people every year, featuring an innovative and broad spectrum of classical, popular, education and community-based symphonic programming.
The Houston Symphony is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, veteran status, or any other protected class.