Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.
Website Jacob’s Pillow
“The Pillow” is a treasured 220-acre National Historic Landmark.
About Jacob’s Pillow
Jacob’s Pillow, a National Historic Landmark and recipient of the National Medal of Arts, is a year-round center for dance and home to America’s longest-running international dance festival located in the beautiful Berkshires of Western Massachusetts. The Pillow encompasses the world-renowned international Jacob’s Pillow Dance Festival, presenting more than 50 dance companies and over 350 events each summer; The School at Jacob’s Pillow, one of the most prestigious professional dance training centers in the U.S.; the Pillow Lab, a residency program that supports new choreography; growing Community Engagement programs that serve local school children, artists, and community members alike; rare and extensive dance Archives, open to the public, which chronicle more than a century of dance through photographs, videos of performances and talks with artists, costumes, and scholarly essays; a Fellows Program, and an Internship Program that provide professional advancement and training opportunities.
Jacob’s Pillow is committed to providing an inclusive, diverse, accessible, and equitable environment that cultivates the celebration of the art of dance and its positive impact on communities. Jacob’s Pillow’s mission is to support dance creation, presentation, education, and preservation; and to engage and deepen public appreciation and support for dance. Organization-wide values include inclusion, leadership, integrity, flexibility, partnership, and sustainability. Learn more about Jacob’s Pillow, its mission statement, and its values here.
To read a full history, visit The Jacob’s Pillow Story on their website.
COVID-19 and Jacob’s Pillow
In response to COVID-19 disruptions, and further accelerated by the recent fire that destroyed the Doris Duke Theatre, Jacob’s Pillow reimagined its programming for the virtual space and is planning to continue its digital offerings well beyond the current restrictions on in-person gathering. The Pillow has made intentional investments in digital strategy, content, and equipment, and is currently embarking on strategic planning to chart the future of this storied and vital organization. Jacob’s Pillow will resume in-person performances in a limited outdoor capacity in June 2021 and will also offer a mixture of online-only and hybrid performances (both online and in-person) this coming summer.
About the Berkshires
The Berkshires, located in Western Massachusetts and equidistant from Boston and New York City, is a thriving cultural, and primarily rural region filled with historic landmarks, museums, and performing arts venues; and a mix of year-round and seasonal residents. Learn more about all of the Berkshires attractions available within a one-hour drive of Jacob’s Pillow here.
The Chief Marketing Officer may be based either in the Berkshires or in another location (preferably accessible by car) on a partial-remote basis. During the Summer festival (mid-June through late August) when the Marketing and Patron Services teams are working at their fastest pace and with highest volume, it will be essential that this role maintain a consistent on-site presence to lead the team in all activities. As such, a Summer housing subsidy will be available for the short-term (Jacob’s Pillow is exploring on-site housing for the long-term).
About the Opportunity
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) is a newly instituted role to lead the Marketing and Patron Services divisions, and will provide innovative, audience-centric leadership as a crucial member of the Jacob’s Pillow Executive Team. As the Pillow reimagines the customer journey and lifecycle in light of digital programming, the Chief Marketing Officer should bring a highly strategic view of marketing for the performing arts and live experiences, as well as a commitment to leading and fostering a team. (A reduced Marketing and Patron Services staff were maintained throughout COVID-19 and are currently being augmented and reassembled in anticipation of the 2021 Festival.) The new CMO will also be tasked with leading a review of the overall brand and positioning strategy, articulating target audiences, and establishing priorities for activation of a new strategy.
The CMO will join the Pillow team just as the organization is completing its strategic plan for the next five years, a plan that among other considerations will take into account the remaking of the organization in light of the national reckoning with racism and the need to welcome artists and audiences to the Pillow who have not previously felt included. The CMO should bring an awareness and sensitivity to issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA) and a desire to work on behalf of systems change in the overall arts ecology in our country.
In particular, the CMO should bring a keen ability to identify opportunities for audience growth, loyalty-building, and expanded awareness across the national and international dance and performing arts fields. The ideal candidate will bring a confident grasp of marketing and communications best practices and be able to prioritize, delegate, and advocate for investments of time and resources through sound business cases. To aid in doing so, the Pillow has recently invested in an upgrade to its core marketing technologies (Tessitura and Prospect2), and the CMO will play an essential role in steering the Marketing and Patron Services teams’ design and utilization of business intelligence tools, KPIs, and ongoing evaluation metrics. While not falling solely to this role, the CMO will support the Pillow’s increased incorporation of audience data into its standard operations and decision-making.
The Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) provides leadership and strategic vision to the Jacob’s Pillow Marketing and Patron Services teams and is a vital collaborator to all fellow members of the Executive Team. The role leads a team of 8 full-time year-round staff (14 at the peak of its summer season, plus a large team of part-time staff, interns, and volunteers) and has direct responsibility for revenue goals typically approaching $4 million (approximately $1.2 million during COVID). The CMO will ensure that Jacob’s Pillow continually grows and engages audiences for all of its various programming streams including performances, education, archives, and community engagement programs. The Pillow has a strong and storied brand and as the company approaches its 90th Anniversary in 2022 with a slate of newly added virtual offerings, the CMO will shape and drive the strategy that will continue to build and amplify its national and international brand.
Key responsibilities of the CMO include:
- Craft and lead campaigns to maximize audience engagement across all Jacob’s Pillow offerings and programs, and raise awareness of the organization overall.
- Serve as a pivotal member of the Executive Team, centering audiences in major company decisions, including both setting and achieving brand and revenue goals
- Prioritize marketing resources, budgets, and messaging, and advocate for investments where necessary
- Participate in Board meetings as well as select committees where necessary (particularly the Philanthropy and Finance Committees).
Marketing and Patron Services Team leadership
- Hire, lead, and retain high-performing staff within the Marketing and Patron Services departments
- Supervise and work closely with:
- The Director of Marketing and Communications on the development of marketing and press strategies for each programming stream
- The Director of Patron Services to provide an optimal patron experience and conduct thorough analysis of audience behaviors to inform future strategies
- Provide overarching strategic direction for the marketing team, including external consultants, and creative design.
- Foster a data-driven culture within the Marketing and Patron Services divisions, wherein key data streams are utilized and acted upon; Jacob’s Pillow currently uses Tessitura and Prospect2
- Oversee the development and implementation of an Audience Segmentation and Communications Strategy, working closely with the Director of Philanthropy and Director of Marketing and Communications to envision content and contact throughout the patron lifecycle
- Collaborate with the digital content team (part of the Artistic team) in the delivery and promotion of virtual offerings
- Drive strategic projects such as the 90th Anniversary celebration, communication around capital campaign, venue re-openings, and digital programming
- Serve as a key thought partner with regard to programming (both in-person and virtual)
- A minimum of 10 years of marketing and communications experience, and at least 5 years in a leadership capacity
- A passion for dance, and for connecting audiences with dance; direct performing arts experience is preferred, but not required
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as strong capabilities around collaboration
- Experience planning integrated marketing, communications, and engagement strategies that encapsulate all aspects of the marketing mix
- Commitment to IDEA goals and initiatives at both an administrative and audience development level, and a comfort with planning campaigns for a diverse array of audience segments
- Experience working in a cultural organization with ticketed events is preferred but not required
- Experience working with Tessitura is preferred but not required
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Jacob’s Pillow also offers generous benefits including health, dental, life insurance, 403b retirement plan, and EAP. A housing subsidy for Summer residence is available to candidates who do not reside in the Berkshires.
The search for the Chief Marketing Officer is being conducted on behalf of Jacob’s Pillow by Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm specializing in marketing, audience development, and adjacent disciplines within the arts and culture industries.
To apply, email your cover letter, salary requirements, and resume as a single PDF file to email@example.com with “Jacob’s Pillow” in the subject line. Please name the file using the template of “Last Name, First Name.” Cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with similar positions and institutions. No phone calls please.
Jacob’s Pillow is a registered 501(c)(3) not for profit organization that provides equal opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, military or veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by state or federal law. This policy also prohibits employees from harassing any other employee for any reason including, but not limited to, race, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disabled status.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.