POSITION: Marketing Manager, Lookingglass Theatre Company
REPORTS TO: Director of Marketing
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Exempt
As one of the country’s largest ensemble theatres dedicated to the creation of new work, Lookingglass Theatre Company seeks to redefine the theatrical experience and to make theatre more exhilarating, inspirational, and accessible to all. Founded in 1988 by a group of Northwestern University theatre graduates, Lookingglass moved into its permanent home in the historic Water Tower Water Works on Chicago’s Michigan Avenue in 2003. Now in its 34th Season, the Company is a respected source for story-centered theatrical work that is evocative, physical, and visually rich.
With a roster of 29 Ensemble Members and 22 Artistic Associates, Lookingglass productions are centered on ensemble with training in theatre, dance, music, and circus arts. Through its powerful, original theatre, the Company’s goal is to fire the imagination with love, to celebrate the human capacity to taste and smell, weep and laugh, create and destroy, and wake up where we first fell—changed, charged and empowered.
A member of the marketing team, the Marketing Manager will collaborate with the Director of Marketing to support administration, project management, and operations of all marketing department activities. The Marketing Manager plays a pivotal role in all single ticket and subscription campaigns, external communications, and audience development initiatives. This position plans and executes marketing initiatives and events; and contributes to projects for the Artistic, Development, and Education Departments. The Marketing Manager also works closely with colleagues focusing on audience services, group sales and press, as well as external contractors including project managing a graphic designer, advertising agencies, photographers, videographers, and web developers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Advertising & Promotions
• Manage email campaigns from start to finish; build patron lists in ticketing system, draft and program email copy and layouts, and send emails
• Coordinate execution and fulfillment of ad campaigns and all art with ad agency and Graphic Designer
• Initiate and maintain promotional partnerships
• Conduct market research to identify new revenue and audience opportunities
• Organize promotional collateral distribution campaigns
• Schedule and assist with department photo/video shoots
• Create/monitor ad campaigns in Google AdWords
• Work with the box office in maintaining discount codes, offers, and ticket mailings
• Manage direct mail lists and fulfill list trade requests
Institutional Publications and Communications
• Compose and maintain website copy, updates, and content via WordPress
• Draft website pages for all Lookingglass activities in coordination with webmaster
• Run all social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn. Create new and engaging content across all sites.
• In collaboration with Graphic Designer and other departments, manage show program content, layout, proofing, and distribution, manage show program content, layout, proofing, and distribution
• Work with the Department of Curiosity to develop marketing strategies to support camps, classes, and all educational programming; manage the execution of Department of Curiosity marketing campaigns
• Plan, organize, and execute marketing events including press openings, season kick-off, and membership events. Provide on-site event support (including set up and tear down).
• Represent the company at public events as needed
• Perform basic functions within Spektrix ticketing system database
• Manage department invoices, finance tracking, and reporting
• Other duties as assigned
• Participate in organization-wide anti-racism work and incorporate and anti-racist lens into daily practice. Lookingglass recognizes that we have much to do as we work towards being anti-racist and being a more equitable institution. This work, by the Board, Ensemble, and staff, is ongoing and is publicly reflected here: Anti-Racism, Equity, and Inclusion Statement – Lookingglass Theatre Company.
• Proven experience in marketing, communications, or non-profit administration preferred
• Excellent written, oral, and presentation communication skills
• Proficiency in social media campaign management across platforms
• Experience in web content administration (WordPress a plus)
• Familiarity with execution of email marketing campaigns
• Possess search engines, web analytics, and business research tools acumen
• Solid computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, web analytics, and Google Adwords
• Working knowledge with CRM programs
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, to work independently and in a team
• Adequate knowledge of data collection methods (e.g., polls, focus groups, surveys)
• Knowledge of excel and basic budgeting and reconciliation
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends as necessary
• Ability to work remotely with Lookingglass provided equipment day-to-day, except for in-person events (approximately 15-20 per year)
• Health Insurance (choice of PPO or HMO; Organization covers the cost of 95% of the HMO plan. If PPO plan is elected, staff member pays the difference between the PPO plan and 95% of the HMO plan. This is reevaluated annually in July with the adoption of the health plan).
• Vision & Rx plan;
• 12 paid holidays (including Juneteenth and Election Day); Vacation, Personal, Sick and floating holidays, including birthday.
• In recognition of the unplanned costs incurred by working from home, employee may be eligible for a monthly reimbursement of $30.00 to be evaluated and paid quarterly. Eligibility will be based on the evolution of Lookingglass’ work from home policies and availability of and access to Lookingglass-provided work resources for this position, such as a brick-and-mortar office space.
• Current COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory before onboarding, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and granted in accordance with Lookingglass policy.
Lookingglass Theatre Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetics, or status as an individual with a disability. We welcome applications from all qualified applicants.
To be considered, please send a cover letter outlining your interest in Lookingglass Theatre Company and outlining your applicable experience, a resume, and three (3) references to Maggie McNamara, Director of Marketing, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing Manager” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.