Job Title: Youth Orchestra Manager
Reports to: Executive Director, Music Director
FLSA Status: Full-time, Exempt
Supervises: Youth Orchestra Coordinator, Volunteers
For thirty years, Mainly Mozart has been a mission-driven organization with one guiding inspiration: Mozart. His music, his mastery, and all that he embodied as a multi-faceted man inspires our mission and vision—and is what sets us apart. Mozart personifies much more than classical music. He exemplifies prodigy, composer, genius, innovator, collaborator—and Mainly Mozart is driven to express these qualities in everything we produce.
Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra
The Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra offers six different ensembles: Suzuki Strings, Beginning Strings, Intermediate Strings, Concert Band, Intermediate Orchestra, and Advanced Orchestra. Under a strong inclusion policy that integrates young musicians of all abilities and musical backgrounds, we provide students with solo, chamber, and orchestral performance opportunities throughout San Diego and Baja California, as well as the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to rehearse and perform side-by-side with the Mainly Mozart Festival Orchestra, composed of incredible principal players and concertmasters from major orchestras across the country.
Our ensembles currently serve over 200 students ages 3-23, hailing from all over San Diego County and even traveling from Los Angeles County and Baja California. Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra students regularly participate in regional and national music programs such as NYO-USA, Tanglewood, National Symphony Orchestra Summer Music Institute, Idyllwild and more, and many alumni have gone on to pursue college careers in music.
About this Position
The MMYO manager works closely with the four youth orchestra instructors and Saturday rehearsal coordinator to manage all day-to-day operations of the 250-member Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra.
The MMYO manager is the main point of contact for communications among Mainly Mozart Youth Orchestra families and should maintain favorable rapports with all components of the organization: parents, students, prospective families, volunteers, staff, youth orchestra staff, the music director, the executive director, and the youth orchestra’s leadership council.
• Maintain and distribute materials such as student handbook and policies, season calendar, attendance records, tuition assistance applications, and student roster database
• Secure dates, venues, and rental instruments/equipment as needed for all Youth Orchestra rehearsals, concerts, and special events
• Attend and produce all rehearsals, concerts, and special events for all six Youth Orchestra ensembles with the assistance of production staff and parent volunteers
• Communicate with “ringers” and guest musicians, notifying them of all details including schedule, dress, parking, pay, and repertoire
• Coordinate and manage the Youth Orchestra’s annual online ensemble auditions and live Solo Competition and Chamber Music Workshop auditions
• Email weekly communications to parents (other communications as assigned by youth orchestra staff)
• Maintain and publish content for Youth Orchestra website and social media accounts
• Serve as youth orchestra librarian by purchasing, scanning, and uploading sheet music to the youth orchestra’s Dropbox folder
• Collect and track registration and tuition fee payments and tuition assistance applications
• Draft and oversee production of all marketing materials for Youth Orchestra concerts and events
• Serve as liaison to MMYO Leadership Council – calling meetings, organizing agendas, providing leadership and overseeing volunteer assignments
• Collaborate with Executive Director on identifying and pursuing funding opportunities, including: foundation, government, and individual (with focus on alumni cultivation)
Required Skills and Qualifications
• Degree in Music or Arts Administration
• Superior verbal and written communication skills
• Patience working with children
• High level of professionalism and ability to stay calm under pressure/stress
• High level of attention to detail and strong organizational skills
• Demonstrate a high level of autonomy, consistency, and professionalism
• Familiarity with or experience with an orchestra (youth or professional)
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and G-Suite applications
• Must be available on weekends for all rehearsals, performances, and events
• Ensemble management experience
• Knowledge of orchestral repertoire and procedures
• Familiarity with WordPress and website design
• Experience with Salesforce or another CRM
• Spanish proficiency
This position requires sitting at a desk or workstation, walking, standing, climbing stairs, hearing, speaking, being able to lift up to 40 lb. and able to drive to locations pertaining to organizational operations. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. This is a full-time position with work responsibilities on weekends and/or evenings to be determined with the supervisor.
Mainly Mozart is strongly committed to the principles of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.
Mainly Mozart is largely an accessible facility and further accommodations would be made for persons with physical disabilities.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
To apply, send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org