Reports to: Executive Director
Direct Reports: Manager of Individual Giving and Stewardship, Manager of Grants and
Development Communications, and Development Operations Coordinator
Marwen educates and inspires young people to nurture their growth and build their futures through art and community. Founded in 1987, the no-cost studio and pathway programs exist for young people in Chicago who want to explore visual arts and do not have access to arts programming due to financial and systemic barriers. Courses are facilitated by cohorts of intergenerational teaching artist teams. For more information, visit www.marwen.org.
Overview of the Position:
The Director of Development (DoD) develops and leads a comprehensive fundraising plan with strategies to actively expand and deepen support with new and existing individual donors as well as institutional funders. The DoD is a highly self-motivated individual committed to improving and sustaining success across all of Marwen’s contributed revenue streams. The DoD person will lead a team that skillfully monitors, responds to, and reports on progress toward individual giving, events, and grants goals, while assessing the return on investment for fundraising tactics.
Strategy and Leadership
● Collaborate with directors team to manage organizational priorities and collectively build a
positive organizational culture
● Work with directors and development team to set fundraising vision and objectives that align with
organizational values, and include comprehensive individual, grants, and events priorities
● Develop monthly, quarterly and annual fundraising goals and forecasts for all contributed revenue
stream and report to the Executive Director and Board on progress toward goals
● Nurture the development, support the performance, and actively engage in resolution
management for communications staff
● Serve as staff lead for Donor Relations & Development Committee, collaborating with co-chairs to
set the direction and tasks for the Committee
● Engage Board Committee Members throughout the year to understand their interests and
leverage their expertise as well as resources
● Staff other board committees: Executive, Governance & Trustee Engagement, Finance,
Investment & Audit, as well as Communications & PR
● Represent Marwen at conferences, convenings, and meetings with current or prospective donors,
funders, and partners to cultivate relationships and stay abreast of fundraising best practices
Donor Cultivation, Solicitation & Stewardship
● Work closely with the Executive Director on a sustainable and effective development strategy for
active donor prospecting, cultivation and stewardship
● Collaborate with Manager of Individual Giving and Stewardship to research, gather and analyze
data to make efficient and effective decisions about donor strategies, activities, and projections
● Grow and manage a portfolio of current and prospective donors to actively build strong
relationships with them, deepen their connection to Marwen, and steward their contributions
● Work directly with the Board of Directors to build donor strategies and collaborate with Executive
Director to identify appropriate roles for board members to engage in stewardship and solicitation
● Collaborate with the Executive Director and ad hoc committee to launch a planned giving program.
Grants Management Oversight
● Oversee all grant management processes, supporting the funding life cycle of researching,
applying, reporting, cultivating relationships, and stewarding partnerships
● Support the Manager of Grants and Development Communications in their ability to manage
relationships, collaborate with other teams, and lead execution of grants goals.
● Support collaboration with program and communications staff to document and share compelling
programmatic content (through data and storytelling) to build a case for support.
Events Management Oversight
● Oversee fundraising event strategies and protocols to ensure goals are met and attendees are
part of overarching cultivation plans
● Support the Manager of Individual Giving and Stewardship in their ability to manage relationships,
collaborate with other teams, and lead execution of individual goals through events.
● Support the Event Committees (both with staff and board) to ensure Marwen is on track to meet
event goals and engaging the Marwen community in a strategic and thoughtful way
● Support collaboration with program and communications staff to craft compelling messaging and programmatic content to build a case for support and design meaningful experiences at events
The ideal candidate will have:
● 10+ years of progressive nonprofit fundraising experience, with 5+ years of experience effectively
managing and developing staff
● Proficiency in implementing and managing high performing development strategies across
multiple revenue streams, with strong ability to prioritize to ensure goals are effectively met
● Demonstrated success in major gift fundraising, with specific experience in establishing and
growing donor relationships
● Demonstrated skills in effective decision making, using discretion with sensitive or confidential
information, creative thinking, taking initiative, and problem solving
● Strong track record of managing and monitoring budgets, financial acumen, and ability to manage
resources efficiently and effectively
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with ability to synthesize complex information
and manage multiple projects at once
● Interest in the arts, education, and/or youth development
● Proficiency with donor management systems, as well as Windows and Mac operating systems
● Willingness and ability to travel, work evenings and some weekends
The compensation for this position is $90k – $100k annually commensurate with experience, generous
PTO, full health benefits, and retirement plan match. The position is slated to start October 1, 2022.
Marwen is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and equity in the workplace. We strongly encourage those who reflect our communities to apply, including bilingual individuals, LGBTQI and/or people of color.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Director of
Development.” The deadline for applications is rolling until the position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com