Website Music Academy of the West
The Next Generation of Great Classically Trained Musicians
Position Title: Library Assistant
Department: Artistic Operations
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Status: Seasonal, Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Employment Period: Monday, June 6 through Monday, August 8, 2022
The Library Assistant supports all activities of the circulation and orchestra library, including the preparation, distribution, and collection of music for multiple orchestra concerts, various opera productions, and chamber performances. The Library Assistant works closely with faculty, conductors, fellows, and Music Academy administration and reports to the Music Librarian.
• Provide customer service to faculty and fellows
• Check music and folders in/out and locate solo/chamber music in library stacks
• Support marking of string bowings; mark and bow parts as indicated by the conductor and string masters
• Prepare practice parts and orchestra folders
• Prepare and distribute all audition and competition packets
• Distribute folders prior to rehearsals and concerts, attend rehearsals/concerts, and reset music during stage changes as assigned by the Music Librarian
• Maintain library database in ArtsVision
• Assist with Summer Festival programs
• Other duties as assigned
The Music Academy of the West seeks to hire candidates who thrive in a collaborative, highly communicative workplace. Our administration collectively informs and agrees upon the organization’s expectations for teamwork, including a positive, goal-oriented environment that positions every employee for success.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate some, if not all, of the following:
• Knowledge of classical music and opera
• Ability to read music
• Experience marking string bowings
• Ability to lift and distribute up to 50 lbs of music
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office and experience with ArtsVision
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills
• Strong critical thinking, strategic planning, and problem-solving skills
• Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to work on a team and adapt to changing work priorities
• Positive and professional demeanor
• Previous summer festival experience
• Some nights and weekends, including concert duty
• Frequent travel between Music Academy’s Miraflores campus and off-site venues
• All administration, faculty, and fellows on campus must provide proof of COVID vaccination
Compensation and Benefits
This is a seasonal, non-exempt, full-time position. Compensation is $18 per hour, commensurate with skills and experience. Seasonal employees are not eligible for Music Academy benefits. Housing and meals are included during the employment period.
Please email a letter of interest and current resume to email@example.com, using the subject header Library Assistant. PDF format only. No phone calls, please.
The Music Academy of the West is an equal opportunity employer. A background screening will be performed as a condition of employment.
Music Academy of the West
Music Academy of the West is a performance-based training center and incubator that empowers musicians to positively impact society. The Academy welcomes everyone from across all generations, cultures, and backgrounds to experience the transformative power of music. Based in Santa Barbara, California, the Academy presents the preeminent full-scholarship Summer School and Festival for classically trained fellows ages 18 to 34. They study and perform with more than 50 exceptional faculty and teaching artists, while forging close connections with the community. The Academy’s commitment to long-term collaborations and exchanges with leading orchestras and opera companies results in unparalleled mentorship and career-advancing prospects. The Innovation Institute spearheads entrepreneurial training and ventures through seminars, residencies, and the Alumni Enterprise Awards, substantial grants given annually for a wide range of creative projects. Launched in 2018, Sing!, a free, after-school choral program for local elementary students inspires personal growth and expression. For more information, please visit musicacademy.org.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org