Opera Theatre’s Volunteer Coordinator is a critical member of the Opera Theatre team, reporting to the Director of Administration, and is responsible for managing the company’s relationship with the volunteers of the OTSL Guild, including supporting the work of the Guild Board and coordinating the activities of the approximately 25 volunteer committees. In addition, they are responsible for tracking expenses for the Director of Administration and the Development department, as well as assisting with ongoing administrative work for the Administration department. Responsibilities include:
• Manage Opera Theatre’s relationship with the Opera Theatre of Saint Louis Guild, a group of more than 250 dedicated volunteers who collectively donate approximately 15,000 hours of volunteer time each year.
• Serve as the main staff liaison to the Guild Board, which is comprised of volunteer committee leadership.
• Supervise the work of the Guild committees and related projects.
• Communicate regularly with individual volunteers and committee chairmen.
• Preparation for Guild Board meetings.
• On-site management of volunteer activities.
• Develop and execute recruitment and training strategies for volunteers.
• Oversight of Guild committees, structure, and projects.
• Monitor Guild expenses and allocate resources as needed to achieve budget goals.
• Prepare check requests, invoices, and other payments as requested for the Administration and Development departments.
• Code all Administration and Development department expenditures as needed.
• Using accounting software, pull reports of departmental expenditures and alert department heads to any unusual trends.
Other Administrative Responsibilities
• Assist with ongoing administrative work for the Administration department, including appointment setting, writing, proof-reading, mailings, and filing.
• Assist the Director of Administration with meeting preparation, set-up, and note taking.
• Attend regular meetings of the Advancement and Development Departments, representing the interests of volunteers and collaborating on volunteer involvement in those departmental activities.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
● 1-3 years of experience in volunteer management, fund-raising, public relations, or related field;
● Proficiency with word processing and spreadsheets;
● Demonstrated skill in managing projects with overlapping deadlines in a fast-paced environment;
● Extraordinary attention to detail;
● Ability to work evening and weekend hours at key times during the year.
Ideal Candidate Profile
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
● Ability to work with many individuals in differing capacities (volunteers, donors, staff, etc.);
● An ability to build relationships with volunteers and prospective volunteers;
● The ability to assimilate information quickly and work independently;
● Creative and efficient problem-solving skills;
● Experience with databases;
● A team-oriented approach;
● An interest in the arts.
Applicants for the position are asked to submit a resume along with a letter that describes their interest in Opera Theatre of Saint Louis and outlines experience and qualifications for the position.
Please email cover letter and resume to:
Michelle Myers, Director of Administration
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, 210 Hazel Avenue, St. Louis, Missouri 63119 (no calls, please)
At Opera Theatre of Saint Louis, we value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are committed to being an equal employment/engagement opportunity workplace, and will not discriminate against employees or applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristics, protected veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Please let us know if you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process.
About Opera Theatre of Saint Louis
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis (OTSL) is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization known for innovative productions featuring outstanding young artists. The company offers a festival opera season each spring which attracts ticket buyers from zip codes throughout the metropolitan area, as well as visitors from nearly 50 states and multiple countries. As of 2019, Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has presented 28 world premieres and 28 American premieres, which may be the highest percentage of new work in the repertory of any American company. In addition to the spring Festival Season, Opera Theatre operates year-round education and community programs serving nearly 17,000 local children and adults.
Opera Theatre of Saint Louis has a year-round artistic and administrative staff of 35, which increases to approximately 500 during the Festival Season. Several hundred volunteer members of the Opera Theatre Guild provide support for all aspects of Opera Theatre’s work and advocate for the company throughout the greater St. Louis community. The company’s annual budget size is approximately $10.8 million; contributed revenue represents more than 50% of budget.