The Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra is seeking an exceptional individual for the administrative leadership position of Director of Education and Community Engagement. The selected candidate will be a key member of the staff leadership team, reporting to and serving as a strategic partner to the Executive Director. Working closely with the Music Director, other staff members, the Board of Directors, and community partners, the Director of Education and Community Engagement will plan and execute robust education-based and community-building programs for the Orlando Philharmonic.
The Director of Education and Community Engagement is responsible for building a wide range of arts, education, and civic partnerships to leverage the service and relevance of the Philharmonic throughout Central Florida. S/he will also work with the Executive Director and Board to establish and advance the organization’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Education and Community Engagement
• Maintain and advance the education and community engagement programs offered by the Orlando Philharmonic, ensuring that the Philharmonic exercises innovation and industry best practices in program development.
• Work with Music Director and Artistic Operations Department to develop artistic content for education and community engagement activities.
• Serve as the principal Orlando Philharmonic contact for all public and private educational institutions in the region, arranging school visits by the Music Director and musicians to enhance educational programming.
• Maintain master calendar for all education and community-based offerings. Communicate schedule and deadlines to Director of Artistic Operations, Personnel Manager, and administrative staff to advance details ahead of concerts and events.
• Develop and maintain systems and benchmarks for evaluating effectiveness and impact of education and community programs.
• Work with other cultural and social services organizations in Central Florida to explore shared educational and community programming opportunities, both in schools and throughout the greater community.
• Develop, oversee, and manage budgets for education and community programs.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
• With the Executive Director and Board of Directors, develop and support the organization’s DEI goals and initiatives.
• Research, communicate, and integrate DEI-enhancing practices into the practices and culture of the organization.
• Serve as liaison for visiting composers, school groups, youth organizations, and community groups in collaboration with Artistic Operations Department.
• Consult with Artistic Operations Department regarding venue and production elements for education and community engagement programs.
• Attend or ensure proper staff or volunteer presence at all education and community engagement programs.
• Collaborate with Development staff to facilitate individual gifts and corporate sponsorships related to educational programming. Participate in the development of progress and final reports related to education and community engagement grants.
Communications and Advocacy
• Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications department to maximize internal and external communications about the organization’s education and community engagement goals and achievements, including ensuring photo and/or video capture of all relevant programs.
• Serve as organization’s primary liaison with education and community partner organizations. Ensure Orlando Philharmonic presence at key education and community events and forums.
• An undergraduate degree with 3+ years relevant progressive experience in music education, arts administration, or closely related field
• Knowledge of and passion for orchestral music
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work effectively as a part of a management team
• Highly developed organizational skills and strong attention to detail
• Competence in budget development and analysis, and management of grant-funded programs
• Possesses excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively in a timely manner both verbally and in writing.
• Self-directed, creative, and flexible; able to problem-solve, multi-task, and adapt to changing priorities
• Availability to work nights and weekends at concerts and events
• Able to work as part of a high-functioning team, inspire and lead through example utilizing the skills, abilities, and passions of a diverse set of stakeholders to build relationships and advance the organization’s mission
Salary and Benefits
The Director of Education and Community Engagement is a full-time, exempt, benefits-eligible position. Annual salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. OPO offers medical and vision insurance (100% of employee premium covered by employer), paid vacation, personal days, and sick leave.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra
Celebrating its 25th Anniversary Season, the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra is led by Music Director Eric Jacobsen and comprised of accomplished musicians from around the world. The Philharmonic annually presents more than 150 live performances of classical, popular, and chamber music in venues across Central Florida. Known for its artistic excellence and community collaboration, the Philharmonic reaches more than 70,000 children, youth and families annually through its Young People’s Concerts, Symphony Storytime Series, the Notes in Your Neighborhood program, and free outdoor community concerts.
The Philharmonic owns and operates The Plaza Live, a multi-use venue with a 900-seat theater that also houses the orchestra’s administrative offices and rehearsal space. As a resident company of the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, the Philharmonic will perform its primary subscription series concerts in Steinmetz Hall when it opens in 2020.