Manager of Marketing & Communications
Reports To: General Manager
Supervises: Patron Services Assistant, Marketing Interns
The Orpheus Chamber Orchestra seeks a driven and creative Manager of Marketing & Communications to manage all advertising, ticketing, and communications initiatives, including but not limited to: public relations, advertising, ticket sales, digital media and content, branding, and subscriber activities. The candidate will need to be adept at cross-functional thinking, multi-tasking, high-level strategy and timely, efficient execution. Strong collaboration with and support of other internal departments (e.g. Development) and with all presenting partners is a necessity. A foundation in marketing principles, arts marketing experience, budgeting, extensive customer service experience, and PR experience are all required. Experience with direct marketing and list management is also essential.
• Creative, open-minded, and innovative project manager
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Data-driven with experience analyzing sales trends
• Collaborative team-player
Marketing & Sales
Manage all subscription campaign and single ticket initiatives for self-produced series, including renewal, acquisition, and special promotions, working closely under the strategic direction of external Marketing Consultant. This includes:
• Direct marketing and list management
• Letter Campaigns
• Collateral design
• Overseeing subscription ticketing and fulfillment
• Manage all advertising, promotions, grass-roots/viral marketing, direct marketing, and partnership initiatives.
• Manage all value-added initiatives for subscribers, including planning for subscriber-focused events and subscriber-only promotions.
Playbill and Editorial
• Working with program annotator and Playbill editorial department, manage editorial direction, copy, and all program note material to be printed in Carnegie Hall programs.
• Provide content for all presented programs on domestic tours.
• Manage routing of all programs to appropriate departments to ensure accuracy
• Ensure execution of all Public Relations efforts in conjunction with external PR agency, including scheduling and routing press releases, arranging interviews with media outlets, and strategizing pitches for concerts, events, engagement programs, and other organizational initiatives.
Audience Development & Engagement
• Identify and develop new patron memberships and relationship-building programs to attract new audiences and retain current or lapsed members
• Reimagine and manage Young Orpheus membership for young professionals including scheduling of events, Young Orpheus Council meetings and agenda, benefits, and communications. Formulate and execute a strategy for membership growth across all levels.
• Work closely with Development department to secure subscription add-on donations, and cultivate and upgrade subscribers and ticket buyers
• Manage Student and Senior Membership programs including pricing, member benefits, member ticket allocations, promotion, and growth in sales
• Create, cultivate, and manage promotional and visibility campaigns in tandem with external partners, including media (recorded, radio, web, print), artistic institutions, presenters, and others.
• Work with Development department as needed on sponsor servicing, balancing sponsor’s visibility needs with venue/presenter restrictions and Orpheus’ overall branding and design aesthetic.
• Create, cultivate, and manage partnerships with external organizations (such as Idagio and Goldstar) to maximize promotional opportunities and to reach new audiences.
• Working across all departments, research, initiate and develop new initiatives to enhance the audience experience at performances and events
Digital & Website
• Create content, manage, and strategize Orpheus’ online presence.
• Ensure accuracy and timely updates of the Orpheus website
• Determine and ensure execution of online strategies related to social networks, online media, and web-based promotions.
Budget & Reporting
• Maintain and adhere to marketing budgets and prepare cost analysis.
• Track, analyze, and report earned income revenue, including subscription and single ticket sales projections and actuals
At least 3-5 years marketing/communication/performing arts experience and a proven track record of success.
The ideal candidate will have skills in and experience with:
• Microsoft Office
• Front and back-end database interface, preferably with Spectrix
• Marketing production and trafficking
• Direct marketing and list management
• Project management
• Media buying
• Integrated marketing communications
• Track record of visibility partnerships
• Digital design
• Web programming
Orpheus is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with Manager of Marketing & Communications in the subject line. No phone calls please.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About Orpheus Chamber Orchestra
Orpheus believes in empowering the unique voice of all people to make a valuable contribution. Working together as a collective of leaders, members explore each other’s musical ideas using their signature collaborative method, the Orpheus Process®, and give flight to vibrant, unconventional interpretations. Orpheus performances unfold dynamically, moment-by-moment, creating an energy shared by musicians and audiences alike.
Now in its 46th year, the Grammy Award-winning ensemble was founded by a group of like-minded young musicians determined to combine the intimacy and warmth of a chamber ensemble with the richness of an orchestra and has performed without the use of a conductor since its inception. Musicians rotate leadership roles for all rehearsals and performances as well as organizational capacities such as programming and governance.
Orpheus has recorded over 70 albums on all major classical labels, including a February 2019 release on Deutsche Grammophon of Mendelssohn concertos with pianist Jan Lisiecki. The group has commissioned and premiered 49 new works for chamber orchestra. Orpheus presents an annual performance series in New York City featuring collaborations with world-class guest soloists. A touring ensemble, Orpheus has performed in major international venues across 167 cities in 46 countries across four continents and has appeared regularly in Japan for 30 years.
Orpheus is committed to sharing its collaborative Process® with communities worldwide through engagement programs for listeners of all ages. These include underwritten concert tickets and in-class visits from musicians for K-12 NYC students, development opportunities for emerging professional musicians from demographics underrepresented in classical music, and Orpheus Reflections, an enriching program for people living with Alzheimer’s Disease and dementia and their caregivers.