The Development Assistant is responsible for various functions within the department such as administrative services, as well as assisting in fundraising and support endeavors. This may include preparing progress reports, preparing and managing mailing lists, assisting with event planning, liaising with consultants, ensuring timely acknowledgement of contributions, and more. Your expertise in supporting development efforts will assist PSOC in strengthening relations with donors, streamlining development processes, encouraging organizational growth, and promoting the organization’s mission and values to external stakeholders. The ideal candidate for this role should possess excellent networking abilities, exceptional communication skills, and time management skills. The Development Assistant should enhance efficiency of administrative functions, sustain organizational growth, secure funding injections, maintain positive relations with donors, and ensure the integrity of development processes.
Gift Entry, Database Maintenance, Gift Receipts and Thank You Letters:
• Enter batches of gifts, code gifts accurately, process credit card donations, mark deposits and gift forms.
• E-mail weekly and monthly gift reports to Development staff; reconcile with Accounting to ensure accuracy of all gift entries.
• Generate, print and mail receipts for all donations.
• Generate and mail thank you letters.
• Update gift forms accordingly.
• Generate pledge payment reminders and send them monthly.
• Track constituent data and mailing list. Arrange for artist travel/ground transportation while artists are in Orange County.
• Serve as primary backstage staff representative for PSOC during all main stage events,
• Track non-verbal pledges and movement plans with the functionality in TESS
• Enter Contact Reports into Tessitura (as provided by team member)
• Pull lists for committees and create yearly annual fund forms
• Update constituent files and mass data as updates and corrections arise according to
• Create and use the elevated event functionality in Tessitura to track paid events and partially
• Other duties as assigned and appropriate
Development/Membership Support & Communications:
• Maintain electronic filing system for the Development department for donor
information, gifts, and printed materials.
• Create/update order forms, brochures and handouts as needed and order from print
house or print in-house.
• Update donor listings for the concert program books prior to going to press.
• Design and order sponsorship posters as needed. Arrange for them to be delivered two
or three days before a concert and take them to the hall for display before the doors
open to box office/hall.
• Use photoshop to create flyers, promotions, invitations, donor event cards, sponsorship
signs and other development related designs
• Track sponsors assigned to concerts
• Provide photos and captions for Donor spotlights.
• Generate reports as needed by Development Department for multiple purposes.
• Track expenses with the development budget tracker and generate check requests
• Generate lists of donors and members who are due to renew each month.
• Coordinate the correct recipients of letters; mail merge; print and mail renewal letters
with gift form and return envelope
• Attend monthly meetings. Set out and clean up thank you letter stationary, snacks, and
beverages. Take notes for follow up.
• Using Wealth Engine, google and other internet tools, conduct research about PSOC
donors and prospects to support fund development efforts.
• Dig deep, maintain and update backgrounds on donors and prospects
• Using internet, social media, conventional media and contacts, create and continually
update list of potential corporate sponsors for Philharmonic Society concerts and
events, as well as for all Educational programs.
• Remain up to date on current corporate and foundation support to other major arts
organizations in Orange County. Make recommendations for further research or
engagement by senior staff.
• Make reservations, schedule appointments and lunches with donors as needed for
President & Artistic Director and VP of Development
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a major in public relations, communications, or
• Must be reliable, responsible, trustworthy and capable of multi-tasking with strong
people and relationship building skills and experience providing quality customer service
while maintaining a professional demeanor.
• Excellent verbal and written communications.
• Knowledge and proficiency of Microsoft Office;
• Knowledge and proficiency of Tessitura software (essential qualification)
• Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends for concerts/events during the
• Ability to handle donor and prospect-related information with discretion and integrity.
• Previous experience with sales/customer service, and knowledge of classical music highly
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Please include in the subject line of your email:
Please submit materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Philharmonic Society of Orange County
The mission of the Philharmonic Society of Orange County is to foster an appreciation for music by presenting national and international performances of the highest quality while also providing dynamic and innovative music education programs for individuals of all ages.