The Manager of Concert Production is responsible for all aspects of the technical preparation and production for a variety of Philharmonic Society presentations, special events, and performance related receptions. This position shall be responsible for the coordination and execution of all main stage concert events presented by the PSOC, the production advance and venue planning for all Education related programming (including Orange County Youth Symphony “OCYS” concerts), and the internal tracking and coordination of performance reports, schedules, and budgets. In addition, this position will communicate with and assist the Vice President of Education with securing outside venues and facilitating long term relationships for collaborative events related to education and community outreach. The Manager of Concert Production acts as the principal liaison with artists and managers/representation when the Artistic Director is not available or delegates such requests and assists the President and Artistic Director with the execution of artistic contracts and long-range artistic planning. Primary relationships involve: Artist Managers, Guest Artists, Executive Staff of partner venues, Board of Directors/Donors and Internal Staff.
• Lead the production of all Philharmonic Society concerts to ensure the highest quality of operations and presentation to the public.
• Liaise with Concert Hall IATSE stage crew, adhering to union guidelines and parameters
• Prepare and maintain the production budget, reporting all activity to the President & Artistic Director.
• Serve as principal liaison between Segerstrom Center for the Arts and other outside venue staff and PSOC Executive Staff regarding production-related communications.
• Establish and manage long-term schedules with partner venues, usually two years in advance.
• Negotiate annual hotel contracts ensuring the best possible rates for artists and guests.
• Arrange for artist travel/ground transportation while artists are in Orange County.
• Serve as primary backstage staff representative for PSOC during all main stage events, attending all rehearsals and performances.
• Arrange for backstage hospitality for guest artists, in conjunction with artist management.
• Arrange for all piano requirements throughout the concert season. Communicate tunings to piano technician.
• Work with Segerstrom Center on Concert Hall acoustics to adjust for artists’ requirements.
• Monitor artistic/production budget within financial parameters set by Artistic Director.
• Collaborate with Marketing/Development and other internal departments on PSOC special events such as the annual Gala, Golden Baton dinner, Annual Meeting and special concerts/events.
• Principal staff member who will arrange for artist meeting requests for donors/Board members.
• Proof reading of guest artist related marketing materials ie: press releases, program booklets, newspaper ads and radio spots.
• Work with Education department on venue selection and contractual matters, production advances for youth concerts, and general scheduling of education related concerts.
• Coordinate with appropriate OCYS and Education staff to secure venues for OCYS concert season, including OCYS main season, 5th Grade concerts, OCYS Gala, and other concerts as necessary.
• Maintain venue contracts and agreements with performance venues.
• Draft text for concert descriptions on website.
• Some administrative work for President & Artistic Director relating to Artistic matters and scheduling meetings/telephone calls with artist managers and venue Administration.
• Collaborate with Artistic Director/President to plan future concert seasons. Includes researching guest artists, drafting and executing all artist contracts and other artistic contracts, and planning future season dates in coordination with the performance venues
• Works with President and Artistic Director to maintain and establish long-term relationships with artists and managers.
• Responsible for pre-concert lecture series, scheduling guest speakers and researching new lecturers.
• Some negotiation of guest artist fees and scheduling.
• Prepare and process payment to artists/management agencies.
• Advise Artistic Director of emerging artists, keeping current of their activities.
• In the event of artist cancellation, serve as primary staff representative to handle rescheduling or arranging for alternate artist.
Other Duties as assigned.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a major in music, and/or music education; classical music preferred
• Experience with concert production and development and implementation of special events
• Minimum of three years administrative experience working with music/arts education in a non-profit organization
• Effective interpersonal and written communication skills
• Ability to work as a member of a team as well as independently
• Strong management and relationship-building skills
• Experience working with volunteers
• Advocate for music and music education
• Creative thinker and problem-solver; flexible and adaptable.
• Computer skills: Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Google Docs, social media, graphic design software a plus.
• Multi-tasking skills and ability to balance a sense of urgency and high priorities without displaying panic are essential
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Please include in the subject line of your email:
Please submit materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Philharmonic Society of Orange County
The mission of the Philharmonic Society of Orange County is to foster an appreciation for music by presenting national and international performances of the highest quality while also providing dynamic and innovative music education programs for individuals of all ages.