Website Philharmonic Society of Orange County
The Manager of Volunteer and Education Services is responsible for the coordination and implementation of support services required for the successful facilitation of all fundraising events, membership, meetings, and communications of the Philharmonic Society of Orange County’s principal volunteer and Youth Music Education fundraising group: The Committees of the Philharmonic Society, for the success of the Philharmonic Society’s youth music education and community outreach programs. The Manager of Volunteer and Education Services serves as an advocate for music education programs presented by the Philharmonic Society of Orange County and manages relationships between “The Committees” and Philharmonic Society staff.
This position is also responsible for preparation and distribution of The Committees’ Executive meeting schedules, agendas, preparation of minutes, and related activities
This is a full-time position, with at least one day per week being spent at the PSOC satellite office (Huntington Harbour Office) in Huntington Beach.
Responsibilities: The responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
Administrative Support for The Committees
· Act as Philharmonic Society staff liaison for The Committees
· Provide administrative support as needed for Committees Executive and Board of Directors meetings and other meetings of the volunteers
· Provide administrative support for various Committees membership and fundraising events
o Major fundraisers include:
§ Huntington Harbour Cruise of Lights®
§ Philharmonic House of Design – project currently suspended
§ Score on a High Note Golf Classic
§ Ducky Regatta
· Work with Marketing & Communications team to oversee Volunteer-related section(s) of the Philharmonic Society website, social media, and digital presence, including, but not limited to:
o “Volunteer” (PSOC website) – external-facing membership recruitment page and an internal members’ portal
o “Philharmonic House of Design” (PSOC website; Facebook page) – currently deactivated as project is suspended
o Huntington Harbour Cruise of Lights (COL website; Facebook page) – run by Huntington Harbour Philharmonic Committee
· Work with Marketing & Communications team and appropriate Committees representatives to coordinate production and distribution of The Committees’ monthly e-newsletter (“The Overture”) and promotional materials for The Committees and Education programs
· Annual preparation and distribution of the Committees’ Director and Chairman Handbooks
· Schedule meetings and book facilities for Committees meetings and some Education programs
· Attend Committees and Education meetings as liaison; preparation of minutes
· Maintain accurate lists of Committees rosters, member contact information, roles, etc.
· Update and distribute the Committees’ Directory, Officers Roster, Executive and Chairman Handbooks annually
· Serve as repository for all Committees’ documents (Bluebook, Chairman’s Handbook, fundraising flyers, etc.) and provide these materials to individual volunteers upon request throughout the season.
· Ensure that an appropriate volunteer appreciation program is in place. Carry out program and plan annual volunteer appreciation event (Committees Night).
Financial Support and Administration:
· Update Committee income and expense spreadsheets for accurate check on current year’s budget.
· Work with VP Ways and Means to obtain fundraiser reports and checks from each Committee in a timely manner to meet audit requirements
· Work with Finance and Committees Treasurer to obtain monthly checking account reports from the individual Committees treasurers to meet audit requirements.
· Work with Director of Annual Fund to process Committees Annual Fund donations and forms.
· Process all check requests for Committees related expenses, code for Finance. Procure documentation as required and obtain second signature from assigned signatories.
Youth Music Education Program Coordination:
· Coordinate the process for development and distribution of education programs-related artist payroll documents and contracts
· Work with the Education Department staff to analyze and organize program reservation submissions to determine seating and for coordination with various Committee members.
· Collaborate with the Education Department staff in administering all e-communications with schools to confirm scheduling and program reservations.
· Maintain a current database of contacts for Orange County public and private schools, district arts coordinators, and arts education organizations.
· Research and update school schedules to assist with developing the annual schedule of music education programs.
· Assist with research and data collection for the development of new music education programs.
· Update Education program evaluation forms in Survey Monkey; provide link with all program confirmations.
· Assist with invitation creation and dissemination for all education programs
· Maintain the Music Mobile vehicles (keeping updated insurance information from Volunteers, annually registering the vehicles, maintaining vehicles’ schedules, etc.)
Volunteer Supervision and Training
· Train volunteers and/or ensure that training is received from other staff as needed. Develop and maintain volunteer records, training curriculum, training checklists, and manuals as necessary.
o Use of credit card machines and cash registers prior to fundraisers.
o Following the events: reconcile charges and process the correct amount from the Ways and Means Account to the respective Committee with documentation.
· Provide on-site support as needed for Committees’ fundraisers and education programs
· Supervision of Huntington Harbour volunteers and seasonal hires
· Bachelor’s degree in a related field plus a minimum of three years of experience in events management, fundraising, development, public relations or a related field.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as an integral part of a team; to problem solve, take initiative, set priorities, handle multiple projects, and exercise good judgment in a fast paced, dynamic, deadline driven environment in an organized and professional manner.
· Proven project management and special event coordination experience, with an accurate and thorough approach to detail
· Proven experience in working successfully with and supporting Board members and volunteers.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; poised manner; ability to exercise discretionary judgment and professionally handle sensitive situations. Ability to maintain confidentiality.
· Superior organizational and time management skills; ability to oversee multiple projects and quickly discern priorities among competing interests; flexibility and adaptability to changing needs; proven ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of team.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, diplomatically, and effectively, and maintain a positive outlook while meeting multiple deadlines.
· Demonstrated proficiency with a multitude of technology platforms; Zoom, Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), relational databases, and web-based tools for the generation of correspondence, reports, spreadsheets, and forms.
· Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and to handle confidential and sensitive information in an appropriate manner.
· Experience in performing arts and classical music a plus but not required.
· Experience with Tessitura Software
· Effective communications: Expresses oneself clearly and empathetically in interactions with others in all forms of communication, i.e., verbal and written, one-on-one and group, etc.
· Interpersonal Awareness: Builds and maintains positive relationships and actively contributes as a member of working teams to achieve results.
· Professional Credibility: Takes responsibility for meeting goals, objectives, obligations, and solving problems while representing the mission, vision and values of the organization.
· Critical Thinking: Obtains, analyzes and evaluates information effectively in the face of ambiguity. Makes appropriate decisions based on relevant information and experience.
· Ethics and Trust: Models and upholds the values of candor, openness, inclusiveness and honesty despite internal and external pressures. Acts consistently with organizational core values and beliefs.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience with benefits including health and dental.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to:
Please include in the subject line of your email:
Please submit materials in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format
Philharmonic Society of Orange County, 1124 Main Street, Suite B, Irvine, CA 92614
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org