SAN FRANCISCO CONSERVATORY OF MUSIC
The Institutional Performance Librarian works closely with the Manager of Ensemble Operations, ensemble directors, students and faculty to provide administrative coordination and support to all Large Ensemble activities throughout the school year. The position will also manage the school’s instrument library and lending process. They will oversee the management of the SFCM Performance Library services to support large ensembles and other ensembles and departments, including chamber ensembles, RJAM ensembles, the opera department and SFCM’s Pre-College division. The position will also serve as a primary coordinator of music licensing and synchronization rights for the purposes of performances, streaming and recording. Other responsibilities may include assisting the Manager of Ensemble Operations with personnel and operational tasks related to Large Ensembles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Ensures that music is ordered in sufficient time to be received prior to the first scheduled rehearsal date, & communicates with music publishers when needed to ensure timely delivery
• Primary coordinator of grand rights, mechanical licenses, synchronization and permissions for performances, web-streaming, broadcasts, and recordings across the institution
• Manages the instrument library, a collection of instruments and bows provided to students in need of better instruments, during their studies at SFCM
• Creates and manages a schedule of music rentals/purchases required for the season in collaboration with artistic team and ensemble directors
• Responsible for the acquisition of rental and permanent parts in collaboration with SFCM academic library
• Prepares rental music for return to the publisher by the rental return deadline and files music after performances.
• Supervises the production and coordination of scores, parts (both practice parts and digital parts) bowings, audition-excerpt preparation, & music for ensembles
• Attend large ensemble rehearsals as needed to ensure any music library or sheet music-related tasks are managed
• Consult with ensemble directors, SFCM Music Director and SFCM administration regarding performance library matters
• Prepare music for ensemble auditions; coordinate with music director and faculty on specific excerpts, and prepare faculty binders for on-site auditions. Prepare scores and comment sheets for the annual concerto competitions
• Hires, trains, and oversees all library student workers
• Maintains orchestra library inventory and database
• Maintain current inventory of library supplies
• Assist the Manger of Ensemble Operations in managing departmental budgets
• Assist with summer residency and partnership activities as assigned
• Performs other duties as required
• Bachelor’s degree in music required
• Prior music library and/or ensemble management experience required, as well as a clear understanding of ensemble skill needs of 21st Century musicians
• Comprehensive working knowledge of performance practices, musical terminology, orchestration, transposition, and repertoire.
• Experience working with faculty and students in higher education or other related settings
• Demonstrated capacity to lead artistic projects effectively and creatively
• Extraordinary attention to detail and strong organizational skills, including the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines
• Excellent communication skills as well as dynamic interpersonal skills, including nuanced management skills, capacity to steward institutional relationships, and ability to solve programs in a highly demanding and face-paced environment.
• Ability to maintain procedures and policies combined with good judgment in weighing exceptions
• Familiarity with music publishing, licensing, and copyright laws
• Relevant budgetary skills
• Knowledge of Sibelius and/or Finale software is preferred
• Willingness to work flexible hours, including some weekends & evenings
How to Apply
We prefer to receive applications through our website. This position will be open until filled.
SFCM’s mission is to transform our students: artistically, intellectually, professionally and individually. Through the study of music at the highest level, our students learn to seek achievement in every endeavor, to convert challenges into opportunities, to understand the nature of excellence, and to pursue their dreams with vigor and determination. We believe that inspiring the imagination, cultivating the artist, honing the intellect, and developing the professional are the keys to launching innovative graduates who excel in any field. SFCM is located in the heart of one of the world’s most innovative and diverse cities, and is home to a vibrant academic community of students and faculty who achieve excellence in their fields.
Equal Opportunity Employer
SFCM is a fully committed equal employment opportunity institution and welcomes applications from all qualified persons, including those who consider themselves to be of a race, national origin or ancestry that is not fully represented in musical arts programs in the United States. Personnel decisions regarding applicants for employment are made without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran, age, citizenship, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/PL7GLQUAyBPMYuMzdsPMN6
To apply for this job please visit www.click2apply.net.