POSITION TITLE: Artistic Operations Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Artistic Operations Manager
The Artistic Operations Coordinator provides operational, artistic, and administrative support to the Artistic Operations team. This position works closely with the Artistic Operations Manager and cross-departmentally, with an emphasis on Live at Powell Hall presentations, calendar and Artistic Operations database administration, electronic media activities, tour planning, inter-departmental communications and logistics, and support for other special projects and collaborations.
FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
1. Manage artist needs for Live at Powell Hall productions including air/ground transportation, hotel accommodations, hospitality, and other related itinerary details. Collaborate with the Artist Liaison to coordinate runner and driver schedule.
2. Participate in a rotation of artistic concert duty, attending SLSO rehearsals and performances as needed to ensure adequate support to artists and coordinating artistic duty rotation scheduling.
3. Draft and facilitate the timely routing, execution, and administration of Live at Powell Hall contracts as assigned.
4. Interact with various departments and sub-departments within the SLSO at production meetings, taking notes and facilitating subsequent concert-specific communications and distribution of production information sheets.
5. Manage the scheduling of Artistic and Operations department and musicians’ committee meetings, drafting agendas, participating, taking notes, and distributing minutes as needed.
6. In collaboration with the Artistic Operations Manager, assist with the administration of the Orchestra’s calendar and electronic media activities and initiatives including broadcasts, commercial recording projects, and donor CDs.
7. In collaboration with and under the supervision of the Artistic Operations Manager, execute preparations for SLSO runouts, tours, Opera Theatre of St. Louis collaborations, and other special projects.
8. Support the administration of the orchestra’s database systems and related inter-departmental communications
9. Process departmental invoices and expense reports.
10. Provide general administrative support for the Artistic Operations department, assisting VP of Artistic and Operations, Director of Operations, and Orchestra Personnel Manager as assigned.
Skills & Requirements:
KNOWLEDGE: Familiarity with symphony orchestra artistic and general operational practices, and orchestral repertoire and artists. Familiarity with orchestral databases and the ability to read music is preferred. Proficiency in a PC network environment and with Microsoft Office software required.
EXPERIENCE: A bachelor’s degree in music or arts management. Previous related experience with a professional orchestra, opera company, or music festival preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
2. Ability to multitask, prioritize, organize details, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment.
3. Enthusiasm for working collaboratively in a variety of areas within the artistic and operations department and across the organization.
4. A refined sense of attention to detail and organization.
5. Strong problem-solving skills, with a creative approach encouraging effectiveness and efficiency.
6. Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and versatile, with a curiosity for developing new skills.
7. Reputation for high ethical standards, sensitivity working with confidential information, and the ability to maintain positive working relationships with others.
8. Ability to work days, evenings, weekends and irregular hours as required.
About St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
About the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra
Celebrated as one of today’s most exciting and enduring orchestras, the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is the second-oldest orchestra in the country, celebrating its 139th year in the 2018/2019 season. Widely considered one of the world’s finest, the SLSO maintains its commitment to artistic excellence, educational impact, and community connections – all in service to its mission of enriching lives through the power of music.
In addition to its regular concert performances at Powell Hall, which has been the permanent home of the SLSO for 50 years, the orchestra is an integral part of the diverse and vibrant St. Louis community, presenting free education programs and performances throughout the region each year. The SLSO presents Live at the Pulitzer, a four-program series at the Pulitzer Arts Foundation. The SLSO also serves as the resident orchestra for Opera Theatre Saint Louis, with this season marking the 42nd year of a partnership that is unique in the country.
The Grammy Award–winning SLSO’s impact beyond the St. Louis region is realized through weekly Saturday night concert broadcasts on St. Louis Public Radio, celebrated recordings, and regular touring activity. The SLSO is a highly respected collaborator and sought-after artistic partner by some of the world’s greatest musicians and composers, as well as local and national organizations. The SLSO has a long history of robust and enduring collaborations with artists and composers that have developed and deepened over the years.
Today, the SLSO builds on the institution’s current momentum on all fronts, including artistic, financial, audience growth, and community impact, and looks toward the future with Stéphane Denève. Denève, who has been a frequent guest conductor with the orchestra since 2003, begins his tenure as Music Director with the 19/20 season, following this season as Music Director Designate. For more information, visit slso.org.