Website sunset_cultural_center Sunset Cultural Center
Enrich, Educate, Entertain
Sunset Cultural Center (SCC) is a nonprofit organization founded in 2003 to manage and operate the historic Sunset Center in Carmel-by-the-Sea. What began as a public school in 1926 has been transformed into a state-of-the-art performing arts center. Under the mantle of Sunset Presents, we bring a wide range of world-class performances and live events. We pride ourselves on programming a lineup with diversity, sophistication, and star power. SCC also programs no-cost community outreach programs and administers an acclaimed Arts Education Program.
General Purpose/Major Responsibilities:
The Major Gifts Officer (MGO) plays a critical role in SCC realizing its vision and accomplishing its mission through the impact of major gifts ($10,000) from committed donors and enhancing these relationships for the future. Philanthropy plays an essential role in SCC’s success, and major gifts provide impact and momentum for this treasured organization in Carmel-by-the-Sea. The MGO will oversee a defined portfolio of major donors and prospects, initially numbering between 45 to 65. The MGO is expected to develop plans for the portfolio to cultivate, steward, and engage this population for sustaining and elevating participation. The MGO will be expected to work with members of the SCC Board and staff to further these relationships. The position reports to the Managing Director of the SCC and will be a key staff member working with the SCC Board’s Development Committee.
• Cultivate and grow a personal portfolio of individual, foundation, and corporate major donors and prospects with anticipated annual successful gift closures (to be agreed upon) to advance our mission.
• Understand and execute “moves management strategies” and actively solicit major gifts comprised of cash, planned gifts, and gifts of assets through in-person visits, written proposals, and grant requests.
• Meet and exceed agreed-upon goals for donor visits, solicitations, and total funds raised each fiscal year.
• Provide donors with regular stewardship updates and progress reports on major gifts, including capital gifts, programmatic support, and endowments.
• Participate in the donor recognition and stewardship process, including overseeing the SCC’s naming opportunities program.
• Lead and support individual and group tours of Sunset Center with current and prospective donors.
• Complete all documentation about solicitation activities, financial accounting, and donor/prospect profiles in the database.
• Participate in goal and priority setting for the SCC team.
• Communicate efforts and collaborate with Board Trustees and the Development Committee to support the growth of SCC’s donor base.
• Collaborate with our marketing team on unified messaging and narrative.
• Participate in the conceptualization and production of fundraising-related collateral, including but not limited to case statements, major and planned gift promotional materials, and unique stewardship materials.
• Support or lead the planning and implementation of donor cultivation and recognition of special events and activities.
• Maintain strong SCC relationships and stay apprised of current programs and strategic vision. Actively participate in the community life of the organization.
• Represent the SCC in the community through appropriate civic or business philanthropic associations/organizations and leverage the community network for greater visibility and philanthropic reach.
• Maintain the highest confidentiality of donor records and prospect research.
• Participate in professional development opportunities to sustain and grow knowledge of philanthropic trends and expertise.
• Lead and support special SCC projects and committees as needed.
• Provide excellent customer service to all patrons, campus visitors, partners, donors, and community members.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience in major/planned gifts fundraising preferred.
• Background in arts and culture is preferred.
SKILLS AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE:
• Work history should illustrate increased responsibility and results with donors and clients in a setting comparable to a non-profit organization like Sunset Cultural Center.
• Strong organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Display excellent interpersonal skills and comfort in interacting with new people.
• Computer literacy, including knowledge of database and prospect research; proficiency in MS Office products and knowledge of Tessitura (or comparable) databases.
• Aptitude for problem-solving
This position will require regular sitting, standing, walking, and light lifting of supplies (under 50 lbs.) as needed. SCC is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. In keeping with our commitment, SCC will take steps to ensure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if a reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the position, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Amanda La Roche, HR & Finance Manager at amanda @ sunsetcenter.org.
Sunset Cultural Center staff operate in a traditional administrative office. Regular expectations for evening and weekend hours are required.
Sunset Cultural Center is pleased to provide 11 paid holidays per year in addition to the benefits listed below. We also offer each staff member four tickets per year (two per show) to attend a Sunset Center Presents performance (ticket availability varies). Standard benefits for exempt employees will begin on the first day of the calendar month following 30 days of employment with SCC, including:
• Company provided individual health, dental and vision coverage for employee
o Option to purchase health coverage for spouse & dependents
o Option to purchase life insurance at group rates
• Option to participate in a 403(b) retirement account program
• Regular, full-time, exempt employees are eligible to receive paid vacation at the rate of fifteen (15) business days’ vacation each year and paid sick leave at the rate of ten days per year.
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Salary Range: $68,000 – $82,000
TO APPLY: If interested in the position, please email your resume and brief cover letter to Amanda La Roche, Finance & HR Manager, at amanda(AT)sunsetcenter.org. Please include in the subject line of your email the following: “MGO Inquiry – Your Name.” All submissions will receive a response. Please, no phone calls. Thank you for your interest!
Sunset Cultural Center is proud to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a culturally diverse, equitable, inclusive, and antiracist environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, genetic information, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other classification protected by law. We encourage applicants of all backgrounds to apply. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply for this job email your details to Amanda@sunsetcenter.org