The Chicago Philharmonic Society is seeking a full-time development manager who is an organized, detail-oriented writer and self-starter to join our administrative team. We are a unique, musician-governed organization presenting top-level symphonic and chamber concerts at venues around the Chicago area. Our educational outreach initiatives reach over 1,000 participants yearly, and we are a proud partner of the Joffrey Ballet, Ravinia Festival, and other arts organizations.
– Develop and execute development strategy, including annual and long-range goals for grants, individual contributions, annual report, endowment, and sponsorship
– Write applications – comprised of project descriptions, budgets, etc. – for grants offered by foundations, government agencies, and corporations
– Develop and sell sponsorship packages for concerts and outreach programs
– Plan and execute annual individual fundraising campaigns, including writing materials and compiling recipient lists
– Oversee individual major gifts strategy
– Research and track new grant and sponsorship opportunities
– Create, track, and report on annual development budget
– Cultivate relationships with funders, including institutions and individuals
– Report periodically to board regarding development efforts and progress toward goals, and serve as staff liaison to Development Committee of the board
– Provide subscription concert-day assistance
– Miscellaneous administrative duties
– Oversee and direct Development Associate
Skills & Qualifications
– Bachelor degree required/Master’s degree preferred in arts administration, music, nonprofit management, writing, law degree or other related field
– At least two years’ experience in development/grant writing for musical, artistic, or other nonprofits
– Excellent written and verbal communication
– Strong attention to detail
– Knowledge of orchestral/classical music a plus
– Proficiency in Ovation, Tessitura, Access, and/or other donor database software
– Development/grant writing: 2+ years
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to
firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31 2018. No phone calls please.
The Chicago Philharmonic Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all areas of the organization’s work.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
About The Chicago Philharmonic Society
The Chicago Philharmonic Society is a collaboration of over 200 of the highest-level classical musicians performing in the Chicago metropolitan area. Governed under a groundbreaking structure of musician leadership, the Society presents concerts at venues throughout the Chicago area that cover the full spectrum of classical music, from Bach to Bernstein and beyond. The Society’s orchestra, known simply as the Chicago Philharmonic, has been called “one of the country’s finest symphonic orchestras” (Chicago Tribune), and its unique chamber music ensembles, which perform as the Chicago Philharmonic Chamber Players, draw from its vast pool of versatile musicians.
The Society’s outreach programs connect Chicago-area youth to classical music and provide performance opportunities for members of the community. Founded in 1988 by principal musicians from the Lyric Opera Orchestra, the Chicago Philharmonic, aside from presenting symphonic and chamber music concerts, currently serves as the official orchestra of the Joffrey Ballet, continues its longtime association with the Ravinia Festival, and partners with other outstanding local and national arts organizations on a regular basis.