Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.
Website The New Group
The New Group is an award-winning Off-Broadway company
The New Group
Director of External Affairs
About The New Group
The New Group, led by founding Artistic Director Scott Elliott and Executive Director Adam Bernstein, is an award-winning, artist-driven Off-Broadway company with a commitment to developing and producing powerful, contemporary theater in New York City. While constantly evolving, they strive to maintain an ensemble approach to all their work and an articulated style of emotional immediacy in their acting and productions. In this way, The New Group seeks a theater that is adventurous, stimulating and most importantly “now”, a true forum for the present culture.
Over the course of two decades, Scott Elliott has fostered an environment where a community of artists can experiment, take risks, and learn from each other away from the pressures of commercial theater, leading to the production of over 70 powerful, contemporary theater pieces featuring some of today’s most compelling performers. Recent productions include Cyrano starring Peter Dinklage with music by The National; Donja R. Love’s critically-acclaimed one in two; “Daddy” by Jeremy O. Harris featuring Alan Cumming and Charlayne Woodard; Sharr White’s The True starring Edie Falco; Jerry Springer – The Opera; Sweet Charity starring Sutton Foster; Sam Shepard’s Buried Child with Ed Harris and Amy Madigan; The Spoils by and starring Jesse Eisenberg; Rasheeda Speaking, directed by Cynthia Nixon and featuring Tonya Pinkins and Dianne Wiest; and David Rabe’s Sticks and Bones with Holly Hunter and Bill Pullman;. The New Group’s productions of The Spoils and Buried Child, both directed by Scott Elliott, played critically-acclaimed sold-out runs on the West End at Trafalgar Studios in London.
In twenty-five years, The New Group has received over 100 awards and nominations for excellence. The New Group is a recipient of the 2004 Tony Award for best musical (Avenue Q). The New Group and Scott Elliott were honored with a 2010-2011 Drama Desk Special Award “for presenting contemporary new voices, and for uncompromisingly raw and powerful productions.”
COVID-19 and The New Group
In adherence with current New York City guidelines, The New Group is not currently holding in-person performances, and is instead streaming paid content—The New Group Offstage—via their website. Audiences are also able to purchase digital releases on demand or through an Off Stage Access Pass for access to all streaming content. Current estimates for the return to in-person performances in New York City are for Fall 2021, after which time The New Group intends to continue offering virtual content as an additional programming stream.
About the Opportunity
The newly created role of Director of External Affairs will unify and lead Development and Marketing for The New Group with the goal of increasing its profile, brand awareness, and philanthropic support within the New York and national theater communities. They will be a critical member of the Executive Team working alongside Founding Artistic Director Scott Elliott and Executive Director Adam Bernstein, and will play a central role in charting the company’s future with audiences at the center.
Currently, The New Group projects an annual operating budget of approximately $5 million post-COVID, and has a historical average of approximately 30% of revenue from contributed sources and 70% from earned. As The New Group builds on its prolific artistic track record and broadens access through its digital programming, there is a tremendous opportunity to grow contributed revenue through an increased focus on brand marketing and storytelling, and the Director of External Affairs will play a pivotal role in doing so.
The Director of External Affairs will oversee a team of 3 full-time (2 Development, 1 Marketing) and 2 part-time (1 Marketing, 1 Ticketing/Audience Services) staff, with the long-term goal of adding support in both Marketing/Audience Services and Development.
The New Group is seeking an experienced arts professional to serve as its Director of External Affairs. This executive-level position provides a unique opportunity to work at one of New York City’s leading nonprofit Off-Broadway theaters, alongside its Board of Directors, donors, audience base, and staff to strengthen the organization for the future and position it for long-term success. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of External Affairs will lead The New Group’s Development and Marketing departments and will be responsible for generating the revenue required to support the growth and advancement of the organization.
Responsibilities and Duties
* Manage daily operations, create long-term vision and goals, and tactical strategies for the company’s revenue-generating and communications initiatives.
* Play a major role in Board relations and engagement.
* Enhance the audience and donor experience.
* Direct innovative high-level fundraising efforts that enable the organization to raise significant gifts from new and existing donors and prospects.
* Advance and execute the theater’s overall development strategy to meet short-term and long- term fundraising goals.
* Enhance the company’s major-donor cultivation, including individuals, foundations, corporate partnerships, and government relations.
* Play a strong leadership role integrating development considerations and effort into all areas of the company including artistic programs, community events, and education.
Marketing and Communications Responsibilities
* With key staff, oversee creation and execution of marketing and communications plan. With a goal of expanding participation as well as elevating The New Group’s brand/identity awareness, the theater’s integrated marketing and communications strategy will include advertising, public relations, digital and social media efforts as well as forming new strategic partnerships.
* Further the theater’s efforts to reach and engage new and more diverse audiences.
* Grow and analyze quantitative and qualitative research to help inform fundraising and marketing initiatives to drive revenue growth through donations, memberships, and ticket sales.
The New Group is seeking a visionary and innovative thinker with exceptional leadership skills and a demonstrated history of relevant experience. The ideal candidate will possess:
* Background in development at various levels, proven fundraising record, and capacity to formulate both traditional and entrepreneurial strategies.
* Experience in developing and managing budgets.
* Experience working successfully and collaboratively with a Board of Directors, senior management, and professional colleagues.
* Demonstrated ability to select, train, motivate, and inspire staff, while holding them accountable for their performance.
* Demonstrated ability to direct and execute effective strategies and tactics for marketing, social and traditional media, and public relations.
* Successful record of achievement soliciting major gifts, building and cultivating relationships, and leveraging a strong network of contacts.
* Successful experience managing external relationships and technical-support teams.
* Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communications skills – ability to build consensus across internal and external constituents.
* Highly organized strategic thinker. Experience in establishing clear direction, operating against objectives, and meeting deadlines.
* Strong management skills. Experience in both leading teams and in working collaboratively as part of a team.
* Energetic and enthusiastic leader, comfortable with both the creative elements and technical components of the role.
* High level of resilience and comfort managing strong personalities with patience and a sense of humor.
* Knowledge of fundraising/ticketing/CRM software systems.
* Proven understanding of inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility, the role that racial inequity plays in our society, and a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across differences.
* Experience working in a performing arts or cultural institution is a plus.
Salary range is $100,000-120,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 403b retirement, and commuter benefit plans.
The search for the Director of External Affairs is being conducted on behalf of The New Group by Tom O’Connor Consulting Group, a New York-based executive search and consulting firm specializing in marketing, development, and adjacent disciplines within the arts and culture industries.
To apply, email your cover letter, salary requirements, and resume as a single PDF file to email@example.com with “The New Group” in the subject line. Please name the file using the template of “Last Name, First Name.” Cover letter should include relevant experience, how you became aware of the position, and any direct experience you have had with similar positions and institutions. No phone calls please.
The New Group embraces diversity in all forms and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, race, religion, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation. The New Group is an E.O.E. and BIPOC, immigrants, veterans, disabled, transgender and gender non-conforming individuals are encouraged to apply. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Subscribe to the ArtsAdminJobs.com weekly email digest and never miss a new job listing.